Finally...the end is near!!!

caz1604

I never thought about it this way. That sucks for whoever just bought an analog TV and retail stores should notify consumers that analog TV's will be obsolete!

For starters, theres the remarkable fact that Americans are still buying over 20 million analog sets each year, all of which could be obsolete rather quickly. If Detroit was selling cars that used a type of gasoline that would soon no longer be available, consumers would expect to be informed. Thus analog sets clearly need some kind of warning label, and proponents of a date certain say this will make the labels far more meaningful: i.e., This television will no longer receive over-the-air signals after December 31, 2006.

Come on guys, now's the time to embrace the inevitable future. Don't get stuck in the past, especially with prices of HDTV's dropping everyday. Advocates of the radio didn't want television. Advocates of silent film didn't want "talkies." Advocates of black & white TV didn't want color.

WE WANT HD.

----------------

On 4/27/2005 8:00:44 PM nicholtl wrote:

Come on guys, now's the time to embrace the inevitable future. Don't get stuck in the past, especially with prices of HDTV's dropping everyday. Advocates of the radio didn't want television. Advocates of silent film didn't want "talkies." Advocates of black & white TV didn't want color.

WE WANT HD.

----------------

right on. i wish they would hurry up already. 9.gif3.gif10.gif

This is exactly why I have been telling everyone I discuss TV's with NOT to buy ANY TV over the next couple of years, unless it's a must.....and even then, I would probably get a used one somewhere.

If you are buying HDTV now, you are paying too much (economies of scale), and if you buy an old set, it might become obsolete - or at minimum, a dinosaur that could be replaced cheaply once HDTV really gets saturation. And once HDTV does get saturation, will the HDTV you buy today be the set you really want in two years, once all the appropriate standards and industry loopholes are in place?

Bottom line.....this is the worst time to be shopping for a television....we are in the middle of a 4 year period where it just doesn't make sense to be buying expensive TV's....unless you are just replacing a broken unit. For most, it makes sense to stay out of the TV market until the HD issue settles out.

Guys, guys, guys....

You still don't seem to understand that this is only the official drop-dead date for all analog broadcasts to be ceased.

Digital broadcasting is not necessarily the same as HDTV broadcasting. DirecTV is an all-digital broadcasting medium. Is it all HD? No.

There is no government mandate requiring any content provider to convert their productions to High Def. The government merely wishes to tidy up the UHF and VHF broadcast frequencies so that those bandwidths can be sold off to cellular companies, local emergency broadcasters, et al.

(edit)

Oh, and by the way, there is already a provision (I mentioned it here when it was passed) in the Patriot Act II that mandated government subsidies for D-A boxes for low income households that cannot afford digital-capable TV's - so there's no cause for worry about retired old folks on Social Security being deprived of their televisions.

----------------

On 4/28/2005 7:27:38 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

This is exactly why I have been telling everyone I discuss TV's with NOT to buy ANY TV over the next couple of years, unless it's a must.....and even then, I would probably get a used one somewhere...

Bottom line.....this is the worst time to be shopping for a television....we are in the middle of a 4 year period where it just doesn't make sense to be buying expensive TV's....unless you are just replacing a broken unit. For most, it makes sense to stay out of the TV market until the HD issue settles out.

----------------

I disagree. The worst time to buy a TV was 3 years ago when all of the HD and HD ready sets were WAY expensive. People were telling me I was crazy buying my Widescreen Mitsubishi--I may have been, but since that time I have been able to appreciate DVD's (Movies & Concerts) in 480p on a 65 inch screen that was tremendously better than anything I had seen before.

The few HD channels available up until 1 year ago weren't worth the cost of buying the HD Monitor (i.e., TV). Now there is alot of HD programing, especially on satellite and just as much with just an antenna in high market areas.

I agree that things will get cheaper and people on a fixed income should not go out and buy a new TV set any time soon. I also don't think people should go greatly in debt to buy anything of the sort--but those of you that can afford it, by all means go and check it out! My 2 cents on the topic.2.gif

I have been getting digital exams for years. This year I turn 50, and I think "HD" is in my future (whatever that stands for...makes me a little worried):

Highly Disturbing

Huge Dilation

Happy Drugs

Honorable Discharge

Hafta Do...

There will certainly be all sorts of HD to analog converters around. But the sad part for peole who purchased HD sets early is that they have component inputs or DVI inputs. When HD DVDs come out they will mostlikely be HDMI with HDCP only. That means you will not be able to watch HD DVDs on your HD set that is pre HDCP. Most HD sets had HDCP only in 2004. That also may be tru for HD satellite and Cable settop boxes. I have seen the prices drop on HD LCD and DLP rear projection sets and they will drop more as all the chinease manufacturers get into the micro display business. You can get a 50" Sony or Samsung LCD or DLP rear projection on sale for the same price as a CRT rear projection was in late 2003. Think of it, most manufacturers introduced HD 9x16 rear projection crt sets in 2001-2. That is a 2-3 year life of the technology!