Funniest Band Names??

----------------

On 4/28/2005 10:03:32 AM ben. wrote:

Pearl Jam was actually named after one of the Chicago Bulls of the era. His nickname was Pearl. Can't remember who...

----------------

I don't really know much about them, but "Pearl Jam" came out of a previous band "Mother Love Bone." I think that's a hint. I don't know about the basketball player but there was also something about Eddie Vetter's grandma Pearl's hallucinogenic peyote jam. I'm sure the name can have many meanings (gives it a cool factor) but I think Freudian interpretations are usually the most accurate for rock bands. 2.gif

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/27/2005 11:13:49 AM picky wrote:

I'm not kidding on this one! A local band:
SMEGMA
......look it up if you dare.
14.gif

----------------

I looked it up, and I'm sorry I did.14.gif I wonder if the same lucky person that first discovered that condition got to name it too.

I never saw this local band, but they were the "White Trash Express," their self-labelled style as evolutionary bluegrass. Their poster was illustrated with that famous human evolution series, showing the progression from ape-like forms to modern humans, but in place of the modern human, the evolutionary series ended with Stringbean, the country music comic from the 70s.

----------------

I don't really know much about them, but "Pearl Jam" came out of a previous band "Mother Love Bone." I think that's a hint. I don't know about the basketball player but there was also something about Eddie Vetter's grandma Pearl's hallucinogenic peyote jam. I'm sure the name can have many meanings (gives it a cool factor) but I think Freudian interpretations are usually the most accurate for rock bands.
2.gif

----------------

(Begin thread drift)

Well, two of the members, Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard, played in Mother Love Bone. Prior to that they were with Mudhoney, and prior to that they were part of Green River. Green River was, to my knowledge anyway, more or less the beginning of the whole "Seattle scene" of the late '80s and early '90s. At any rate, Ament and Stone were the only two members of MLB that came forward into Pearl Jam, but it is because of them that Eddie Vedder appears with Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron of Soundgarden on the "Temple of the Dog" (a good funny name in itself) memorial project for Andy Wood, lead singer of MLB, who killed himself with a syringe.

Now I always thought "Pearl Jam" metaphorically equates to male creative energy. I'll leave it to the reader to make that connection . . .

(End thread drift)

There was a hometown band called Vomit Launch in my college town, and they actually got a video on MTV. Not a bad name for this topic. They often played with another local favorite, Brutilicus Maximus.

----------------

(Begin thread drift)

Well, two of the members, Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard, played in Mother Love Bone. Prior to that they were with Mudhoney, and prior to that they were part of Green River. Green River was, to my knowledge anyway, more or less the beginning of the whole "Seattle scene" of the late '80s and early '90s. At any rate, Ament and Stone were the only two members of MLB that came forward into Pearl Jam, but it is because of them that Eddie Vedder appears with Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron of Soundgarden on the "Temple of the Dog" (a good funny name in itself) memorial project for Andy Wood, lead singer of MLB, who killed himself with a syringe.

Now I always thought "Pearl Jam" metaphorically equates to male creative energy. I'll leave it to the reader to make that connection . . .

(End thread drift)

There was a hometown band called Vomit Launch in my college town, and they actually got a video on MTV. Not a bad name for this topic. They often played with another local favorite, Brutilicus Maximus.

----------------

That is pretty much the history. While you are on the subject, what was the band and album that Mike McCready was in in the mid-90.

I'd guess that my version of the Pearl Jam name is true, as it is the least interesting.

I don't know for sure, it's just what I remember from an interview back when they gave interviews and Eddie was happy to be a rock star. (Before "Jeremy" came out.)

Interesting tidbit about pre/post "Jeremy" Pearl Jam. I was on the booking commitee for the Student Association back in college, and we were looking into Pearl Jam for a concert in the fall. $5000. Not bad, but we weren't sure they'd really draw, so we went another direction (C+C Music Factory, IIRC). When we revisited the idea for the spring outdoor hoopla, they were $50,000. We had no choice but to go another direction...

----------------

On 4/28/2005 10:03:32 AM ben. wrote:

Pearl Jam was actually named after one of the Chicago Bulls of the era. His nickname was Pearl. Can't remember who...

How about-

G. Love and Special Sauce

Soul Coughing

The Inbreds

The Pizzacto Five (the band consists of three Japanese girls)

Engelburt Humperdink

----------------

Seriously? I heard they were named after Edd's or someones aunt in the band who made this incredible tasting jam. Aunt Pearl made the best jam or something like that.

Like I said, man, just what I remember from an interview way back when. It may not have been a guy nicknamed Pearl, it may have just been descriptive of a guy's dunking style. I might have had too much Mad Dog.

----------------

On 4/28/2005 11:13:00 PM ben. wrote:

Like I said, man, just what I remember from an interview way back when. It may not have been a guy nicknamed Pearl, it may have just been descriptive of a guy's dunking style. I might have had too much Mad Dog.

----------------

I hear ya. I think I had a fever of a hundred and five when I read the interview I did.

(admin edit: some of these are marginal, but this one stepped over. The topic says "funny!!") had a truly revolting cover on their first LP. Revolting in a good way though. :)

I'll add

Meat Puppets

Stiff Little Fingers

MDC (Millions of Dead Children/Cops, McDeathburger Corporation)

Angry Samoans

The death metal names are outrageous. I used to look at the CDs at the store just for that.

Deicide

Cannibal Corpse

Napalm Death

Morbid Angel

Real fun stuff.