The SET Debate (again)

edwinr

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/1/2005 4:43:50 PM DeanG wrote:

Indy is fast approaching, and anyone wishing to bring a SET amp for the mixer Friday night is more than welcome to do so. I even promise to hold Craig and Paul at bay while the
more serious audiophiles
set up for the demonstration. Those of us lacking sophistication in the "audio arts" will sit down, shut up, and try not to make funny faces -- as the more astute show how to fill a room with realistic live levels using less than a watt.----------------

Dean, good idea indeed. Your proposal sounds very exciting. I too would like to hear a "good" examples of each (SET & PP amp) going head to head. Who is up to the challenge?

On 5/1/2005 2:02:18 PM jt1stcav wrote:

my favorite live nearfield listening experience was right inside the Great Division organ chamber

----------------

==================

Many objectives made in this thread.

1. Organ comment is awesome! THat is what I was looking for. Another profound live listening experience.

2. Waked up the thread and even got the Parrot to chime in.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 8:56:24 PM TBrennan wrote:

Don't worry about it, there hasn't been this much hijacking since Capone went after the O'Donnell Brothers beer trucks on the West Side.

----------------

Seems that simple honesty would dictate that you admit that you find SET amps a joke. Not that you're in this thread to talk about SET amps, of course.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 8:09:55 PM TBrennan wrote:

Craig---You and your syncophants can be as smart-alecky as you like. The fact remains that you make money making one kind of amp and are critical of another.

Common ethics would suggest that you make your financial interests clear.
----------------

Tom,

My opinion of these amps is not nearly as harsh as your trying to portay here, but once again your proving to be my "Enemy" as you would put it. I personally have a nice SET amp and like it fine until I want to push up the volume some. I have no problem what so ever with others buying, building or loving there SET amps. The only reason I entered this thread was that someone that prefers Rock and Roll is using one of these lower watt amps (a very good one mind you) and to me it seems just crazy so I decided to discuss it with him. He happens to be a customer of mine and a friend, is there something wrong with doing this? I take it he decided to dump this thread when all the trouble makers jumped in for no apparent reason and turned it into a mess! Of course you being the trouble maker you are you decided to jump on the band wagon. No surprise. I hope we can meet someday and discuss this in depth.

Craig

----------------

On 5/1/2005 9:45:02 PM hurdy_gurdyman wrote:

Gordon Lightfoot and Loreena McKennitt are Canadian, also.

Dave
----------------

The Edmund Fitzgerald! Did I spell that correctly?

"Those of us lacking sophistication in the "audio arts" will sit down, shut up, and try not to make funny faces -- as the more astute show how to fill a room with realistic live levels using less than a watt."

Oh my, now that certainly sounds like an intellectual challenge.

Perhaps you should invite a dozen professional musicians, from all walks of the craft. Play the amplifier of your choice at "realistic live" levels, then play the little SET within it's parameters. Allow the professionals to render their opinion regarding which system sounds more musical.

Whilst highly entertaining, your method tends to ensure the impartiality of transporting a group of Hank Jr. fans to review a performance of Swan Lake.

- Ian

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:09:00 PM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 5/1/2005 9:45:02 PM hurdy_gurdyman wrote:

Gordon Lightfoot and Loreena McKennitt are Canadian, also.

Dave
----------------

The Edmund Fitzgerald! Did I spell that correctly?

----------------

Yup. Here in Michigan that's always been a popular song.

Dave

1.gif

Craig---I think that everyone is governed by their financial interests, including me. Your opinions of SET amps give rise to a conflict of interest; everytime somebody buys a SET you lose a potential sale.

If ever I get involved in audio as a business you'll no longer see me on this website giving opinions.

Khornn,

Actually I know a good number of professional musicians and most don't have much more the a boom box to listen too. Professional musicians don't listen too much music they play it. I bet your one of those wanna be musicians.

Craig

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:21:14 PM TBrennan wrote:

Craig---I think that everyone is governed by their financial interests, including me. Your opinions of SET amps give rise to a conflict of interest; everytime somebody buys a SET you lose a potential sale.

If ever I get involved in audio as a business you'll no longer see me on this website giving opinions.
----------------

Tom,

If you do, what will you market? Any ideas yet? Are you seriously tossing that possibility aorund?

Hey, BTW are you going to Indy? I don't think I saw your name on the list of attendees.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:21:14 PM TBrennan wrote:

If ever I get involved in audio as a business you'll no longer see me on this website giving opinions.----------------

Tom,

Your ridicules if I sold every amplifier bought I wouldn't be able to build them all. I already have more work then I know what to do with and a majority of that work has nothing to do with the klipsch forum. My main business is not selling amplifiers by the way. I refurbish and repair any topology amplifier including SET amplifiers. Although not nearly as many SET as PP but proportionality there are probably a hundred fold more PP amps out there.

I hang around here for the fun of it more then anything. But of course devious minds always think in devious ways. I was here long before I started this business and I'll stay for as long as I like and Klipsch will have me. I sure wish you would get in the audio business.

Craig

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:22:02 PM NOSValves wrote:

Khornn,

Actually I know a good number of professional musicians and most don't have much more the a boom box to listen too. Professional musicians don't listen too much music they play it. I bet your one of those wanna be musicians.

Craig

----------------

I agree that most musicians don't have a very good playback system. There are exceptions, though, as I've been playing most of my life and enjoy good playback at home. Many of the musicians I know personally, when they have some spending money, would rather buy new musical performing gear or new CD's to listen to than to buy stereo gear. I can understand this, as I was this way myself until just a few years ago when I started slowing down on the performing thing.

Dave

1.gif

Parrot said---"Seems that simple honesty would dictate that you admit that you find SET amps a joke."

Not at all. While I don't prefer them I've heard them sound good and have said as much. I've owned one too.

The person who wants the ultimate in dynamics needs more power, no doubt of that. But many people don't need or can't use such dynamics and for them SETs are certainly a reasonable way to go. In my condo I have constraints and do very well with a tube amp putting out about 10 wpc.