The SET Debate (again)

edwinr

----------------

On 5/1/2005 4:48:05 PM kev313 wrote:

Is the goal to have "good sound" - a subjective idea? Is it to reach "realistic live levels"? Does realistic live levels = good sound?

Who's to say? No one, really. And when it is my money on the line, it sure as hell won't be someone who evaluates their gear with the Boss.
----------------

Evendently you better not listen to Greg then .............

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, yeah, I know about the ACDC thing. But if I were to compare it to the SET vs. PP discussion, to really be a Klipsch Forum Man I would have to say, "ACDC is inherently bad music. You should not like ACDC because ACDC has nothing to offer. I am angry that you like ACDC."

In reality I don't care if you like ACDC, they just aren't my thing. I don't have to hold back my laughter at the thought that others may think differently.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 4:51:09 PM kev313 wrote:

As an aside, I don't really think that anyone here is lacking sophistication in the audio arts. Some, however, may just be generally lacking in sophistication.
2.gif
----------------

As a SET users starts insulting people in general and causing problems We see where the problems truly stems from here

I realize that everyone seems to be having a wonderful time here...14.gif

But doesn't this entire issue belong in the ProMedia forum?

Or perhaps Apple's iPod thread? 2.gif9.gif11.gif

Personally, I think MP3's and cassettes are the epitome of high fidelity6.gif3.gif2.gif

Oh! and 8 tracks!9.gif

Oh good lord, I'm not insulting anyone. I guess one of the difficulties with this medium is the inability to detect sarcasm. I hoped that the "winky face" would clue people in.

If PP users want to point to that post in order to advance the PP cause or detract from my post content in general, have at it.

For the record, I use more than SET.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 4:57:47 PM kev313 wrote:

I hear ya, Larry.

To be honest with you, I'm not so sure what the heck I'm defending. I will admit that I would have a different set-up if I listened to the type of music that Dean or Craig listen to.

Maybe I'm just promoting a more productive way to have these discussions. ----------------

Hmmm I just finished listening to Sony Rollins Tenor Madness .................... Spinning now is Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan !! You have no clue what I listen to buddy.

Craig

----------------

On 5/1/2005 4:54:58 PM silversport wrote:

Whilest sipping on a delightful Charazz, Tralphaz and I nearly aspirated our Beluga..."Lovee...a spot more of the grape, dear..."

You guys crack me up...and after todays day at work...I needed that...

Thanks,

Bill

----------------

C'Mon...how many times does someone get the name "Tralphaz" into a conversation???

Bill

----------------

On 5/1/2005 5:03:41 PM kev313 wrote:

Oh good lord, I'm not insulting anyone. I guess one of the difficulties with this medium is the inability to detect sarcasm. I hoped that the "winky face" would clue people in.

If PP users want to point to that post in order to advance the PP cause or detract from my post content in general, have at it.

For the record, I use more than SET.
----------------

In my experience the winky with some people is just a scape goat!

Craig,

You've got a pretty short fuse. So I guess I try to do a better job about trying to be non-offensive. What I MEANT was that you listen to music that I do not listen to that works better with PP.

I did not mean to slander your listening choices, or whatever.

Goodness. I try to be as even-keeled as possible about the whole PP vs. SET affair and find myself on the defensive.

The irony!

Kev,

The thing you don't understand is with a Quality PP or even higher power SET amps you can listen to any type of music and it all sounds excellent! Your little comments all lead to the same old sh!t. To be sophisticated you have to listen to SET or be awesome behind a keyboard when neither have a thing to do with a persons intelligence. Frankly your last few posts are EXACTLY what causes problems here in the past along with a few others. This thread was going along fine with Greg and I discussing things that WE SHOULD OF BEEN ABLE TO DISCUSS.

Craig

Craig - Frankly, the sophistication comment didn't have anything to do with anything. It certainly didn't refer to whether one chooses SET or PP, as should have been clear from the 10 or so other posts on just that point.

Again, I did not mean that one is unsophisticated because they do not use SET. That comment would, in fact, be the polar opposite of the point I was trying to make. I had hoped that my posts read that I understand the benefits of PP, but choose SET for the majority of my listening becuase it suits my taste.

I really can't be any more clear.

Short fuse? He has NO fuse. LOL.2.gif2.gif2.gif

In all fairness to Craig, he only took out Springsteen to check something based on that one post. I can tell you that he suffers through some awful stuff when he checks those amps. It'll be a cold day in hell before I put Diana Krall in my player.

One camp believes power corrupts. The other camp believes power has a qualitive effect, not just a quantitive one. In my case, whatever the positive attributes of SET -- they are simply washed away by the likes of John Bonahm. Even at a lowly watt, the presentations of the two topologies are totally different.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 5:26:43 PM TBrennan wrote:

" ... he is not a disinterested party.----------------

Disinterested parties can be boring, but interested parties should try to remain civil and open-minded.