The SET Debate (again)

edwinr

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:33:30 PM TBrennan wrote:

Piranha---I have something up my sleeve. We'll see. Retirement gets a little boring. Just a little.
2.gif

I don't think I'll go to Indy. The hostility between Craig and I is such that it would be very tense.
----------------

Oh goody, hell I'll put up some venture capital just to get rid of your crusty old hearing aid using a$$... Will $5 do the trick?

Craig

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See what I mean?

Craig hates it when somebody calls him on his unethical behavior or doesn't genuflect in front of his wares. Hearing aids indeed. Getting old Craig.

Maybe I will go to Indy but I'll bring my beanie if I do.

"Why your going to be my ******!"

Where do you learn such talk? Watching Oz on HBO?

I see your spelling and punctuation is going down the drain again, I must have hit a nerve. Now brush your teeth and go to bed. Nighty-night.

I have never heard one of these so called "FLEAS". That being said, I would love to hear a good example of SET in Indy. Can someone please bring theirs so those of us that haven't been afforded the opportunity to do so can hear one for ourselves? Thanks in advance.

I think a group of trained classical musicians would probably have a range of opinions as diverse as the ones that exist on this, or any other audio forum.

I sure hope your not inferring that the "see through quality of SET" wouldn't do justice to some Hank Williams Jr.? I mean, that would constitute a clear admission of it's limitations.

At any rate, at least your posts are interesting to read. Welcome to the forum Ian. I'm sure you have other, more meaningful things to contribute. This subject tends to bring out the worst in people.

I note that some posters may have thought I was confusing the ability of an SET amplifier to produce relatively high spl's with the ability to accurately produce the micro and macro dynamics inherent in all recorded music.

I'm not.

I was listening to the Audio Note mono blocs at what we thought was an appropriate listening level - for us and the amplifier. The sound we heard was sweet and agreeable. However, when we substituated the monoblocs for an Audio Research pre-power combination, at the same listening level, the sound just opened up. This was more noticeable on simple music featuring 'natural' instruments. There was not so much difference when the respective amplifiers were asked to reproduced some popular music tracks.

Dean - That was the point I was trying to make all along.

Anyway...thanks for the follow-up Edwin. Your findings are interesting as that has not been my experience with either SET or Audio Note especially with "natural" instruments. Again, the Audio Note set-up I heard would cost about the same as a couple of new Mercedes, but it DID sound good at low levels. That was an 8watt 300b amplifier through the high eff. AN-E speakers. Lots of silver in that system!

----------------

On 5/2/2005 12:15:27 AM DeanG wrote:

I think a group of trained classical musicians would probably have a range of opinions as diverse as the ones that exist on this, or any other audio forum.

I sure hope your not inferring that the "see through quality of SET" wouldn't do justice to some Hank Williams Jr.? I mean, that would constitute a clear admission of it's limitations.

At any rate, at least your posts are interesting to read. Welcome to the forum Ian. I'm sure you have other, more meaningful things to contribute. This subject tends to bring out the worst in people.
----------------

What you can't see through to Hank's inner Sole in his music?

Craig

----------------

On 5/2/2005 6:46:50 AM kev313 wrote:

Dean - That was the point I was trying to make all along.

Anyway...thanks for the follow-up Edwin. Your findings are interesting as that has not been my experience with either SET or Audio Note especially with "natural" instruments. Again, the Audio Note set-up I heard would cost about the same as a couple of new Mercedes, but it DID sound good at low levels. That was an 8watt 300b amplifier through the high eff. AN-E speakers. Lots of silver in that system!
----------------

I heard a set of AN-J's not long ago very nice sounding speakers. I couldn't get over how low they reached for such a small enclosure.

Craig

PS Kev my fuse was kind of short yesterday for some reason. I reread the thread and think I may have taken you out a context a few times..... sorry! It just pisses me off that we can't just have a simple serious conversation about the different topologies. To me the subject is very interesting.

Don't sweat it, Craig, but that's all I was trying to say from the beginning. I'd rather see an actual discussion as to WHY one is preferred rather than just someone telling me that one or the other sucks.