Best for the money, Floorstanding or HT package

tommiwan

First post here, I searched around a bit and got some info, but wanted to ask you guys directly.

I am looking to purchase 1 of 2 things, either nice floorstanding speakers (I have been looking at the reference series) somewhere between RF-35 and RF-15's or my second option would be to go with a HT package which would include front RF-10's and a center, rears and a sub. I figure both would put me around the same price. I could get a pair of RF-35's for $810, or I think I could get that package for right around that price as well.

I wanted to get your guys opinions who may either have the speakers or had experience with them. At the store last night the sales guy made an offhand comment that made me think. I was looking between the 15's and 25's and he said that the 25's just had a bit more mid bass and that a nice sub would make up the difference (as in the sub I would get with the package deal)

What would you guys say would be the best move to make? Buy some nice front standing floors speakers that just rock, and look to complete the surround system later as I get more money, or go with the package deal and take an inferior (but still decent) front speaker?

That's basically my dilemma. I'd also like to hear your reviews of speakers like the RF35, or 25, 15, or 10's, and if there is another speaker you would recommend then that would help as well.

Here is some info on the room. It isn't large, maybe 12x20 and an open stairwell with kindof an archway that spans maybe 15 of the 20 feet on one side. The 35's would be large for that room, but I also look to the future, I would keep these for a long time and probably until I got in to a new, bigger house.

edit: How does something like the RF3 compare?

edit: ...12x80, what was I thinking. 12x20

(sorry for writing a book here)

I think you'll be happier in the end if you went with the RF35's. Most of us around here have been building our systems piece by piece. Once you have all your speakers and equipment, you'll begin to upgrade piece by piece (its a vicious never ending cycle that seems to be fun for us).

Anyway, just start with the 35's then get a center channel. Let your funds build up a bit and move on to the surrounds and definately do not skimp when purchasing a sub.

Going this route will leave wanting the rest of the speakers, but you'll enjoy what you have and look forward to completing your system.

I would not get anything less than the 35's in the reference series. If you are set on having floor standing speakers then get the RF-35's and add as you can afford it. Like the above poster said add a RC-35 center and then just keep growing. I skimped on my sub on my old speaker set up and I will not make that mistake again. Go with a RW-12 or RSW-12. The surrounds you can go RB, RF, or RS 35.

I would not get go with the RF 10 set though.

If you start out with the RF-35's, then you aren't going to be craving any bass at all. They seriously are good down to 30Hz and they do it very clean. I have a friend who's "HT" is open to the rest of the house (so lots of volume to fill) and the bass from his RF-3 II's (previous version of the 35) will make your pants move.

What do you have for speakers right now in your house? If you really want to get into the whole surround thing, then you could totally just put those pair of speakers in as surrounds. Then a little further down the road you add a center channel and then perhaps new surrounds when funds permit. Whenever someone is starting out, they need to know how far they want to go in the future and always keep that in mind...making every purchase bringing them one step closer to that goal. So if you seriously think the HT package will keep you happy for a while, then by all means go for it now. To be honest, the whole surround deal is a bit hyped up such that I would never consider sacrificing the quality of the L/R mains just because I wanted sound effects behind my head (I'm not saying it's not a cool effect, but it's more distracting than anything else until it's done right).

So anyways, what kind of reciever do have/are looking to get? I would try to get a chance to audition the speakers you plan to purchase with that reciever. The amp-speaker combo is important and sometimes you can get displeasing sounds from a speaker just because of the amp driving it. Ironically, some of these displeasing sounds don't seem to be consistent from person to person (which is why you gotta listen for yourself) 2.gif

Great reply, I appreciate it.

The reciever is another issue in itself. It will have to be replaced. I currently have a pioneer VSX-D309, which is only capable of 60watts x5 and for speakers like this I would definitely need to replace. This is one that my brother gave me for free, but I would look to sooner or later get a new one, maybe Yamaha, I haven't done my research so I couldn't tell you much more, but I do like Yamaha recievers

As for current speakers, they are very small speakers that would have come with the reciever. They aren't that great. I have Klipsch 2.1 on my computer and that is when I became a lifetime Klipsch supporter. Those speaker rock, and they aren't even top of the line.

As for the surround, it would be nice, but you are right, it is not as important to me as clean quality sound from my mains. As time progressed I could replace my crappy surrounds with some RS-35's

5 x 60W is plenty to drive Klipsch in that size room, at least for a while. It's more a question of quality than quantity that may make you want to replace it. But I'd use the budget on speakers for now, and would lean towards a better single pair rather than 5 speakers and a sub that are not as good.

Also, consider going with used Heritage. I know I'm helping klipsch sales by saying this, but that is where the bang for the buck really is!

For anyone who may care I took some of the advice I got here and I will be piecing together my HT as money allows, I bought a used pair of Rf-35's and will be picking them in next weekend (the 14th) I'll let you all know how they do.

If you like the Yamaha receiver, look for something capable for 5.1 for now 7.1 for later too, about 100+ watts will do it.

Also look at Denon, and Harman Kardon too. Like others have said in here, your house will be a LOT different than at the stereo store.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I thought I would give you guys some closure on my story. I went up to chicago this weekend and picked up the speakers. Got home late last night so I haven't gotten to get a lot of time with them, but I watch a bit of Lord of the Rings, and played some of my favorite music. Overall they sound great. I will have to go through the "fine tuning" I have attached a pic (a pretty crappy one) that I snapped this morning with my phone.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

post-17881-13819264439224_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/16/2005 8:40:34 AM tommiwan wrote:

Well I thought I would give you guys some closure on my story. I went up to chicago this weekend and picked up the speakers. Got home late last night so I haven't gotten to get a lot of time with them, but I watch a bit of Lord of the Rings, and played some of my favorite music. Overall they sound great. I will have to go through the "fine tuning" I have attached a pic (a pretty crappy one) that I snapped this morning with my phone.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

----------------

Looks great! Just to let you know if you are interested. I still have a Denon 3801 for sale that would go great with the RF-35s. I used it to drive my RF3IIs and it did a fantastic job. I bought another Denon from a local seller as an upgrade so I just don't need the 3801 anymore. PM me if you are interested...

I am not sure what sub, if any you are using but you defnitely don't have a completed system until you have a good sub. I bought my first sub, an RW-12, about 4 months ago and then bought an RSW12 a few weeks later. My HT hasn't been the same since...

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

D

----------------

On 5/16/2005 10:54:44 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Get the biggest LR mains you can afford. With some speakers, in 2ch mode, your sub DOES NOT OPERATE. So don't count on it. Get full range mains, you'll never be sorry.

Michael

----------------

I guess you mean "with some receivers". I know my h/k lets the sub work on 2-channel mode if so configured.

Yep, that's one of the reasons the HK is on my short list for upgrading my receiver. My present receiver is one that does not use the subwoofer if the mains are set to "Large" unless the source has a discrete LFE channel, in which case bass goes to the mains AND the sub. Non-optimal, to say the least.

It will be nice to have a receiver, like the HK, that allows setting crossover points for each input. In that case for music I could do something like set the sub to run from 40 down (Chorus II's F3), while for HT I could set it for 60 down (Academy's F3.)

Sorry for the thread drift, but hopefully the information is useful.

thanks Peter, I stand corrected.

Olorin is right about HK having that capability, but I for one enjoy having as much of the muscial spectrum coming at me from Left and Right, particularly in 2ch music modes. I know the low frequencies are theoretically omnidirectional, but it's nice to have those kettle drums panned hard left if that's where they are in that orchestra. That's why I have the Mighty Cornwalls. If I used a sub for music, I would still keep my mains set to LARGE and cross over the sub at 40 or 60 Hz tops.

Michael

***********f you start out with the RF-35's, then you aren't going to be craving any bass at all. They seriously are good down to 30Hz and they do it very clean. I have a friend who's "HT" is open to the rest of the house (so lots of volume to fill) and the bass from his RF-3 II's (previous version of the 35) will make your pants move.***********

That about says it all. If I have my pants moving from excessive bass, then I am one happy camper! Long live Klipsch bass slam!!!!!! Hey, my wife wants to know more about what is moving in my pants.......

9.gif