Vanishing LaScala

Contact American Express and see if you were insured by them as well. Mastercard insures any purchases you make using their card, as well as extending a warranty on an item by 50%, for up to one year. Pretty handy on a major appliance.

• Like 1

----------------

On 5/3/2005 8:35:48 PM mungkiman wrote:

I could understand them not wanting to pay on some vintage item that was damaged in transit by YOUR negligence, but I can't understand them not paying your claim for something THEY LOST!

I would hate to think it isn't lost, that someone on the shipping chain FOUND it and has a sweet new center channel. For your sake, I truly hope this works out in the best possible way.

If not, you will be able to collect the fair market value of the item. As a single, it should be worth more than half of the pair, but they may not give you that. The fair market value shouldn't be determined by them, at any time. I didn't catch the sales price, but that may be the closest indicator of market value. Best of luck!

Chris

----------------

Chris,

You don't how many times I've already thought of that. Some FedEx dude is listening to my matched LaScala in his living room and already knows that FedEx will simply deny the claim using this "vintage" BS category. I've got a lawyer friend that's trying to help me with this issue right now. Maybe he can make some progress. Thanks. I'll keep everyone posted. Mitch

----------------

On 5/3/2005 11:05:28 PM k2dx wrote:

Contact American Express and see if you were insured by them as well. Mastercard insures any purchases you make using their card, as well as extending a warranty on an item by 50%, for up to one year. Pretty handy on a major appliance.

----------------

this is my next move. I was worried that this would rob my seller and he did nothing wrong. But, i didn't even think about insurance for lost merchandise.

Great call! Thanks,....Mitch

----------------

On 5/3/2005 9:24:53 PM johnyholiday wrote:

don't cash that check! if you do it means your in agreement ,contact their legal department ,an tell them you will sue them, on just princple ; FedEx paid me $169 for reimbursement of the speaker shipping cost and the value of the speaker;an why would you have to pay shipping, on something you didn't get ,tell them being subpoena, an depossition under oath ,all the way up the chain ,is quite uncomfortable, an you would like to resolve the issue, you have all the documentation ,an have made your, $200 an hour esq, card company, insurnace comissioner,bbb,... aware, an document everyone you talk to in the process ,and of course you will also sue them for court costs, you incure,don't deal with customer service, which is farmed out, get ahold of the higher ups

----------------

Exactly! In fact, that's exactly what the check states (acceptance of the check would constitute final resolution to the claim...yada-yada...)

I'm not about to cash that check. thanks for the heads-up anyway...Mitch

----------------

On 5/3/2005 5:21:10 PM NOSValves wrote:

That is ridicules. I have had a customer paid $450 for damage to a amplifier that was shipped here. Funny part is I fixed the damage for free so he ended up with it completely free the claim covered the purchase and rebuild. All he used for proof of worth was a past eBay auction closing price without a single problem. I think you should not cash the check and go back and argue.

Craig

----------------

No doubt about arguing this issue. I won't cash the check. I'm going to work this thing from every angle I can. Thanks for the input....Mitch

Try making some phone calls.

In my dealings with UPS, I got so I knew the regional claims person on a first name basis. This was a couple of years ago and I had a rash of 3 or 4 shipments coming to me damaged. UPS paid out on all of them. I only had one seller not pay me.

Now, when I buy something expensive off ebay or audiogon, I send the seller my own shipping labels in the mail. That way I have purchased the insurance and as long as the items are packaged properly, the damage claims will be paid to me and not the seller.

Greg

Mitch, If FedEx Ground allowed you to ensure an item for an amount, knowing they would not honor your claim, that constitutes FRAUD, no matter what the small print says.

Is it really only $69 (including insurance) to ship a 123 pound speaker (plus packing) from MI to TX?

When they try to settle, REFUSE. Leave the onus on them. They can't satisfy your claim unless you are satisfied, or instructed to be satisfied by a judge in small claims court. If it goes to small claims court, be sure to sue for all legal expenses.

I still hope this will be resolved by them finding your speaker.

Chris

If the president of FedEx Ground wanted to ship a vintage item valued at more than $100 would he need to use UPS?

----------------

On 5/4/2005 7:10:02 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Try making some phone calls.

In my dealings with UPS, I got so I knew the regional claims person on a first name basis. This was a couple of years ago and I had a rash of 3 or 4 shipments coming to me damaged. UPS paid out on all of them. I only had one seller not pay me.

Now, when I buy something expensive off ebay or audiogon, I send the seller my own shipping labels in the mail. That way I have purchased the insurance and as long as the items are packaged properly, the damage claims will be paid to me and not the seller.

Greg
----------------

That is a very smart move.

How can something be "vintage" if they still manufacture it??? What was the age of the set? What is the bluebook on it?

Get your evidence together, then call a senior claims rep. Do NOT cash the check. A missing speaker ruined the matched PAIR.

Ray Garrison has a relationship with FedEx. PM him for some advice on the best procedure for quick resolution.

Bill

PS: I wish that I had read this post BEFORE I purchased my latest item. B

----------------

On 5/4/2005 8:48:01 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

How can something be "vintage" if they still manufacture it??? What was the age of the set? What is the bluebook on it?

Get your evidence together, then call a senior claims rep. Do NOT cash the check. A missing speaker ruined the matched PAIR.

Ray Garrison has a relationship with FedEx. PM him for some advice on the best procedure for quick resolution.

Bill

PS: I wish that I had read this post BEFORE I purchased my latest item. B

----------------

Oh, and get this. The information/explanation that they included with the check mentioned NOTHING about limited liability on Vintage items. It did mention "collectibles", but collectible is an extremely vague idea and concept. If I buy something from ebay, audiogon, Jared, Walmart...it doesn't matter, I'm still collecting it, am I not? The way they're using this loose classification of 'collectible' allows them to throw anything into that category. From my perspective, if I buy something, I'm collecting it.

I'll take some good advice from you guys. I'm not cashing the check, I am escalating within FedEx, and I am going to work this thing the best way I can.

Stay tuned and thanks for the input and advice. Mitch

Lurking here for a while, but have to weigh in on this one.

I hope it didn't end up sold as freight salvage in Arizona:

----------------

On 5/3/2005 4:41:49 PM Timmikid wrote:

...what Fedex did to you surely looks like unlawful, maybe other better known in the US law can chime in. ...I hope there is someone on the forum that knows the law and can help you.

----------------

Like Larry the Cable Guy says, "I don't care who you are, that aint right, right there."

I am not an attorney so I can not advise you, however your situation is exactly the type of legal matter my membership through www.SSMX.com/hub deals with on a daily basis for members - leveling the playing field when dealing with faceless corporations like FedEx Ground.

Even if FedEx turns out to be within their rights, at least I know for sure after having an attorney look into it for me (at no cost).

Seems to me that a claim for a currently produced item that is insured for value should be honored, especially as well documented as yours is.

Mitch, sorry to hear about this debacle. While you're contacting AmEx, why not check with your homeowner's insurance. An item like this normally doens't have to be 'listed' and if you paid for it, it's in your ownership somewhere in the US (normally a condition to be insured). Just to get another corp. on your side into the fray. They will at a minimum contact the frieght company, ask them to pay, contact the CC company, ask them to pay, as they want to be the LAST ones to have to shell out any money (and with your deductible, that's the way you want it too). It just might help out to get another major player into play. Just to get them worried.

Also show up at your local FedX office looking unshaven, restless, and slightly crazed. That might get their attention LOL

Michael- best of luck, this didn't need to happen to you!

Here's another great FedEx story....

I purchased an beautifully grained L52 walnut cabinet for a my McIntosh preamp. Paid the sellers asking price for insurance (thank god). When FedEx delivered the package the box was covered with motor oil and crunched up. When I opended the box I found my cabinet completely destroyed. It was literally crushed by what appears to have been a 55 gal barrel of oil.

Went through the hassel of filing a damages claim, and the FedEx came by the office the next day to pick up the package to return it.

To date, the Seller still hasn't received the retured cabinet. Luckily payed for the insured shipping, so the seller sent me another one. Every now and then I drop the seller a line, and as I said, he still hasn't gotten the damaged cabinete back, and is still trying to resolve his problem with FedEx.

Update!

They found the speaker! I just got off the call w/ FedEx. Apparently, when something gets lost, can't be identified, etc., it gets routed to a collecting depot in Salt Lake City. I noticed a single Klipsch LaScala on eBay yesterday and guess where? It's in Salt Lake. After careful inspection, I realized that it was not my missing unit, but it got my attention. Anyhow, I digress. The speaker is in SLC, and is being routed to me today. Finally!

Thanks to all that have contributed to this topic. I hope it helps others in the future, or at least highlights some of the issues that you may have to endure when using shipping companies.

From what I've experienced recently, UPS seems to be the clear leader in Customer Satisfaction.

Noteworthy. I also picked up a pair of KLF-20s recently. They were packaged by Mailboxes, Etc and shipped via UPS. The shipper did not insure them. They arrived trashed. The fronts (motorboard) were falling off, the back on one of them fell off, one tweeter(horn) was not working, shells were full of styro-peanuts, corners were mashed and splintered, some leveling feet had impaled the cabinet from being dropped on end, etc.

I took pix, emailed the seller, he contacted UPS and they are taking care of everything (even without insurance), as they are acknowledging that their packager failed to pack these appropriately. Full refund to me and the seller. That's SERVICE!

Take care all...Mitch