O.T. Computer Clock

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 5/5/2005 5:37:38 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

"The last few days I've noticed the clock on my laptop is losing time."

On a PC or Laptop this is the first sign of your battery (usually watch replacement type) on your motherboard going bad.

HMMM. I always thought the bios had a digital pulse so it would not slow down when the battery got weak!

I would reflash the bios.

Most every college has an atomic clock on the Internet that you can use for free.

Are you not sure you are syncing to a time server in your windows domain that is off?

JM

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 5/5/2005 7:31:07 PM j-malotky wrote:

"HMMM. I always thought the bios had a digital pulse so it would not slow down when the battery got weak!"

"I would reflash the bios."

I disagree, flashing bios is always a last resort! In addition, bios does not have a program to keep time.

There are two pulses on the motherboard, both are generated with crystals.

----------------

On 5/5/2005 9:12:18 PM No NHL ! ?? wrote:

----------------

On 5/5/2005 7:31:07 PM j-malotky wrote:

"HMMM. I always thought the bios had a digital pulse so it would not slow down when the battery got weak!"

"I would reflash the bios."

I disagree, flashing bios is always a last resort! In addition, bios does not have a program to keep time.

There are two pulses on the motherboard, both are generated with crystals.

----------------

unless you really know what you are doing, do not flash the bios...

You guys are right about knowing exactly what you are doing before you flash your bios. I flash mine regularly and assume everybody else knows how to do it too.14.gif

FWIW, I have had computers performace increase from bios updates, as well as fix bugs.

I still do not think replacing the battery will fix it, and there is something else wrong.

JM

Thanks for all the replies. I definatly won't be messing with my bios, I did that once and got my laptop back a couple days and $100 later to get it straightened out. 14.gif I should have mentioned that this is always plugged into the wall outlet with an A/C adadpter, has never even had the battery installed into it. Also, I synched it with the clock on the toolbar of the other computer, not a clock in a program. This morning it's down by 9 minutes.

Actully, I wouldn't mind too much if the mother board crapped out; it would be the push I need to get a couple new computers. 1.gif

If you are saying you left the computer up all night with it running on the AC adapter, check to make sure your adapter isn't failing.

If you don't ever use the battery, it's probably toast too. For example, my daughter's laptop battery is dead. She only uses it plugged into the wall.

Make sure there aren't other little drivers available for the system that you haven't installed, i.e., chipset, etc. They can effect all sorts of performance, stability issues.

Marvel

Guest Anonymous

I would still look into the little 'watch battery" on the motherboard. One of its main functions is to supply power for the system clock.

Thanks again. I'd never thought about something running behind the scenes sucking up resources, and CONT-ALT-DEL once showed only the usual things running. Nothing demanding whatsoever. I then remembered that it first started acting up after I'd run a spyware program, so closed everything and restarted the computer. This, my laptop, and the other two computers in the shop never get shut down, though I do kill the DSL link when we're closed. Once I rebooted, it seems to be keeping time pretty well, is still the same as another computer since I booted up this morning.

Thanks again for all the advice. Awfully nice to have a community that offers good advice on OT things as well as stereo questions. 1.gif