Vintage Amp Connections

bitece

Here's my plan-- I'm building a home theater using my Forte's as mains (still hoping to score Khorns), an Academy center and Heresy II rears (thanks RPlace). It will be powered by a 5-channel Rotel amp. I would also like create (in the same space) a vintage 2 channel setup where I could listen to my old lp's. I was thinking of switching the Forte's between 2 amps--the Rotel for movies and a vintage amp for music (lp's and cd's).

I'm thinking of buying a Scott Stereomaster 299-C or 299-D integrated amplifier to serve as the vintage amp. Here's the dumb question: are the connections to the Scott standard RCA inputs? I know it has a preamp to serve MM cartridges but every time a look at the photo I worry that those female inputs aren't RCA type. Can I connect a CD player to the tape section or should I just use the amp for phono? I hope this isn't one of the all-time dumbest questions!

Does anyone else switch between 2 amps?

----------------

On 5/6/2005 12:04:11 AM bitece wrote:

Here's my plan-- I'm building a home theater using my Forte's as mains (still hoping to score Khorns), an Academy center and Heresy II rears (thanks RPlace). It will be powered by a 5-channel Rotel amp. I would also like create (in the same space) a vintage 2 channel setup where I could listen to my old lp's. I was thinking of switching the Forte's between 2 amps--the Rotel for movies and a vintage amp for music (lp's and cd's).

I'm thinking of buying a Scott Stereomaster 299-C or 299-D integrated amplifier to serve as the vintage amp. Here's the dumb question: are the connections to the Scott standard RCA inputs? I know it has a preamp to serve MM cartridges but every time a look at the photo I worry that those female inputs aren't RCA type. Can I connect a CD player to the tape section or should I just use the amp for phono? I hope this isn't one of the all-time dumbest questions!

Does anyone else switch between 2 amps?

----------------

If you want a center channel, go with the 299-D, as it has a powered center channel feature. The center channel of the Scott is the sum of the left and right channels, and works quite well. If you want a better 2-ch amplifier, pick the 299-C (see below as to why)

As for inputs, they are all phono jacks (RCA in todays terms). Be advised that the spacing is very close, and audiophile interconnects probably won't fit well. The Scott uses quad phenolic jacks, so spacing is close.

The 299-D has provisions for an extra input, one tape loop, a magnetic input for a turntable, and a tuner input. So does the 299-C.

I would connect the CD player to the "extra" input. The Scott is quite versatile for its age, with a good number of features. You may also connect any tuner, a cassette player, and even a reel-to-reel without internal preamplifier (has NAB tape head input).

299-C is in higher demand because it uses less "trick" circuitry. The 299-D has more features, but with features comes compromise. It also has the classic 60's styling that Scott was known for. 299-D shares the same faceplate as the later solid-state generation models. 299-D also uses a different loudness contour which boosts bass considerably at low volume set in loudness mode. The 299-C has a more realistic loudness curve.

----------------

On 5/6/2005 12:47:01 AM bitece wrote:

My father had the 299C. I loved the controls! Any info on the Mapleshade "hot-rodded" Scott amps?

----------------

Yes, the controls are quite nice! Gotta love the machined knobs, real high quality stuff!

Avoid Mapleshade.

----------------

On 5/6/2005 1:02:08 AM bitece wrote:

Any ideas (other than Mapleshade) where one could purchase the 299-c?

----------------

Sure, Ebay would be your best bet in finding a nice one.

Check there frequently, as they turn up often.

Typical price is $350, much more sane than $800!

As for inputs, they are all phono jacks (RCA in todays terms). Be advised that the spacing is very close, and audiophile interconnects probably won't fit well. The Scott uses quad phenolic jacks, so spacing is close.

Indeed they are! What can be a solution for this? I have to unscrew the outside casing of the rca-plugs to fit them next to eachother. What do I need, vintage cables/plugs, or can I find nice cables that fit in there? BTW, what are phenolic jacks? Tim.

If you are in the market for a vintage amplifier, keep in mind that unless it has been checked over thoroughly by a tech, it may cause problems when first powered up.

Better to be safe than sorry, find someone to go over the unit, before plugging it into the wall. Keep this in mind, when you are ready to purchase.

----------------

On 5/6/2005 3:40:16 AM Timmikid wrote:

Indeed they are! What can be a solution for this? I have to unscrew the outside casing of the rca-plugs to fit them next to eachother. What do I need, vintage cables/plugs, or can I find nice cables that fit in there? BTW, what are phenolic jacks? Tim.
----------------

Look for cables treminated with "Switchcraft RCA connectors". They are very good qulaity but not at all bulky and fit all the vintage I/O's I've ever seen. I get mine from this place but I'm sure there are many other places to find Switchcraft connectors

http://www.avcable.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPC&Category_Code=RCA_CABLES

----------------

On 5/6/2005 3:40:16 AM Timmikid wrote:

----------------

Tim,

Try to find a better match, rather than unscrewing the barrel housing of the plug. To do this can compromise the connection of the plug. If you're going to do this, remove the barrel completely (seriously, a lot of vintage designs recommended doing this). In other words, you'd see the exposed center and outer wires connected to the pin. This would relieve stain from the phono jacks, and there is no compromise by doing this.

Finding good ones is tricky, the originals that came with the Scotts were "pin plugs", very skinny with just a bit of plastic on them, just enough to insulate the connection.

The link provided above is a good one.

"Phenolic" is a hard insulating material in which the jacks are mounted on. The Phenolic plate is riveted to the rear panel of the amplifier. It can be reddish or black in color.

It is mostly obsolete by modern standards, but works very well.

----------------

On 5/6/2005 8:23:11 AM scott0527 wrote:

----------------
Look for cables treminated with "Switchcraft RCA connectors". They are very good qulaity but not at all bulky and fit all the vintage I/O's I've ever seen. I get mine from this place but I'm sure there are many other places to find Switchcraft connectors

----------------

These are very nice connectors, should do the job just fine.

If that is ryan, that's pretty stupid, immature and a waste of our time.

Soon it will get to the point where we only answer, post to a certain few. One idiot, if ryan, messes things up for all new people.

If some-one recognizes a bozo, would they please post early?

I HAD been losing some cynicism.

EDIT: let's see GM - General Motors (I wonder if permission had ever been granted for use) - General Moron.

What a child - to try to start a flame. You make me sick. END EDIT