Alas.. Another pitbull attack.

m00n

If the law is on the books. I have NO CHOICE but to cite and or apprehend. The Judge and/or jury can decide guilt and punishment,that is what the courts are for. Maybe some of you should go for a ride along program with your local PD. The problems with these dogs can be seen nation wide. The dog of choice for street gangs is the pit bull. Geeee, I wonder why that is?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 5/9/2005 3:39:01 PM Amy Unger wrote:

But if you outlaw the pitbull, another dog will show up in it's place. This WILL NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

----------------

I am not outlawing anything. If it is done it is the bulk of our socitey that has decided it. And how is that impossible?

• Moderators

And how to you propose to get the bulk of society to do anything? Everyone knows dogs can be dangerous and everyone sees the occassional headline about a pitbull. Should we pass out flyers?? The more you publicize the dangers of dog breeds, the more popular that breed becomes.

Back to my point about human nature not being so mild-mannered...

Roy, at least you and I are on the same side.

Hey, BTW, if you were in your patrole care behind me in my jeep, you seen me purposfully run a pit bull over, would you cite me or would you run him over as well. 9.gif

----------------

On 5/9/2005 3:46:57 PM Amy Unger wrote:

And how to you propose to get the bulk of society to do anything? Everyone knows dogs can be dangerous and everyone sees the occassional headline about a pitbull. Should we pass out flyers?? The more you publicize the dangers of dog breeds, the more popular that breed becomes.

Back to my point about human nature not being so mild-mannered...

----------------

Thats is how laws are passed. Or am I misinformed about that?

occasional headline.. true. So if it is not in the media it is not a problem? Like I said spend some time as a ride along. I think you will be supprised at how many things are problem that the normal resident does not ven think about.

Fliers would start I guess, but I would have thought that someone in IT would have a better idea.

Mild mannered is something that was NOT bred into these dogs. The were engineered by man to be fighters and protectors.

----------------

On 5/9/2005 3:47:47 PM m00n wrote:

Roy, at least you and I are on the same side.

Hey, BTW, if you were in your patrole care behind me in my jeep, you seen me purposfully run a pit bull over, would you cite me or would you run him over as well.
9.gif

What pit bull? They are not out on the street, the are in day care centers churchs, and ice cream shops, right?

----------------

9.gif

Amongst multiple pontifications and eloquent, yet irrelevant, verbage, dragon said: "But I also believe that people have rights within the law. They also have responsibility. And I believe strongly in that responsibility."

So the question really becomes, what is society supposed to do when the vast majority of pit bull owners aren't responsible? Do we just continue to mucker along hoping that owners will suddenly repent? At what point does society say "enough"?

As for harm being done by humans to humans....listen, there are very few instances where Uncle Bob was sitting on his porch and for no real apparent reason decides one day to jump off the porch, chase after the same mailman he's seen every day for 3 years, knock him down and proceed to beat the ever loving sh*t out of him. Or docile Aunt Cleo who one day decides she's had enough of the neighbors' 3 year old crying so she stops making her apple pie, runs over to the neighbors' yard and throttles the kid to death. People have the ability to think and reason - animals CANNOT!

The argument that banning the breed or severly limiting it is somehow an attack on our "personal freedoms" is (pit) bull at best. C'mon. We all know that people don't hunt with a Thompson sub-machine gun or any of the other various automatic weapons or "assualt rifles". We all know what those weapons are for just as we know 90+% of pit bull owners don't have the dog 'cause they're cute & cuddly.

Tom

Reminds me of last Saturday night. I have a thing for Opossums. Some people have things for spiders, some for snakes, but for me, it's the Opossums. They freak me out, they send me into an almost uncontrollable sense of ebee gbees.

Anyway, wife and I were out Saturday night, I had a few drinks so I did the smart thing and had her drive home, we get close to the house and we see an opossum skadoodling across the road, instantly I tell my wife to run it over and to my disappointment she wouldn't. At at that point, I wondered if I made the correct decision in letting her drive.

• Moderators

----------------

On 5/9/2005 3:53:10 PM Royster wrote:

Mild mannered is something that was NOT bred into these dogs. The were engineered by man to be fighters and protectors.

----------------

EXACTLY.

So why not pass out flyers to inform people to not over breed these dogs and train them to fight? Or neglect them, which causes them to be mean?

YOU ARE NOT ADDRESSING THE PROBLEM. Do I have to say this over and over? Boy, I think I'm being neglected. It might turn me mean.

m00n was bit by a German Shepherd. Outlaw them too? Outlaw a pitbull, and they'll over breed Rottweillers again, or any other countless deadly dog. Outlaw all dogs? Now you're talking a task on the level of outlawing guns. Some people have dogs for home protection, too.

Making breeds illegal simply won't work. It MAY solve the problem of that breed, but it won't stop dogs from attacking. You guys are not getting it.

Once again, I'm all for laws about dog control. That's not the issue here.

Hey, why complain, the majority allowed slavery too!

Where do you get the concept that the majority is always right?

I would posit that this had elements of the basic federalist/anti-federalist debate, but there is simply too large of an additional dose of insanity!

I wonder why you folks are worried about dogs!? With your rational you can just go out and start cleaning up all the elements of society that your FEEL MIGHT pose a threat at some point!

There are alot of out of work ex-Soviets who would be glad to help! In fact, I think Leonid Kuchma is available as we speak! The problem is that there are far too many left wing and right wing 'liberals' here, who, if they could only agree of the positions, would be glad to help!

• Moderators

----------------

On 5/9/2005 4:04:30 PM m00n wrote:

Reminds me of last Saturday night. I have a thing for Opossums. Some people have things for spiders, some for snakes, but for me, it's the Opossums. They freak me out, they send me into an almost uncontrollable sense of ebee gbees.

Anyway, wife and I were out Saturday night, I had a few drinks so I did the smart thing and had her drive home, we get close to the house and we see an opossum skadoodling across the road, instantly I tell my wife to run it over and to my disappointment she wouldn't. At at that point, I wondered if I made the correct decision in letting her drive.
----------------

Ya see now, m00n, here's a case where you are probably sorely lacking information. Opposums are the garbage disposals of nature. They eat everything, including rats, snakes, cockroaches, mice.... you name it, they'll gobble it. And they do not carry disease--they are marsupials, not rodents.

They are ugly, but they're the best critter you can have on your property.

----------------

On 5/9/2005 4:06:33 PM dragonfyr wrote:

Hey, why complain, the majority allowed slavery too!

Where do you get the concept that the majority is always right?

I would posit that this had elements of the basic federalist/anti-federalist debate, but there is simply too large of an additional dose of insanity!

I wonder why you folks are worried about dogs!? With your rational you can just go out and start cleaning up all the elements of society that your FEEL MIGHT pose a threat at some point!

There are alot of out of work ex-Soviets who would be glad to help! In fact, I think Leonid Kuchma is available as we speak! The problem is that there are far too many left wing and right wing 'liberals' here, who, if they could only agree of the positions, would be glad to help!

----------------

Hey dragon - you're really just working on your post count, right?2.gif

Tom

----------------

On 5/9/2005 4:04:38 PM Amy Unger wrote:

----------------

On 5/9/2005 3:53:10 PM Royster wrote:

----------------

EXACTLY.

So why not pass out flyers to inform people to not over breed these dogs and train them to fight? Or neglect them, which causes them to be mean?

YOU ARE NOT ADDRESSING THE PROBLEM. Do I have to say this over and over? Boy, I think I'm being neglected. It might turn me mean.

m00n was bit by a German Shepherd. Outlaw them too? Outlaw a pitbull, and they'll over breed Rottweillers again, or any other countless deadly dog. Outlaw all dogs? Now you're talking a task on the level of outlawing guns. Some people have dogs for home protection, too.

Making breeds illegal simply won't work. It MAY solve the problem of that breed, but it won't stop dogs from attacking. You guys are not getting it.

Once again, I'm all for laws about dog control. That's not the issue here.

----------------

Over breeding has nothing to do with it. They have inbred instints to be fighters. Much the same way a Golden has the inbed trait to be docile.

And yes the problem is with this breed. How many gang bangers have you drug in after having to pepper spray the "cute doggie"? I can tell you that having been a Cook county deputy before moving from IL, I had more than my share of these killers. It is there instint to kill, ask a vet.

I am a dog owner myself. Not a pit bull, a dog bred with docile traits. A pit bull is a designer dog in a way, bred to fight and kill. Train all you like but the instint is still there. the same with rots, they were bred by the romans as war dogs (fact). Our department has several k9 officers, all are german shepards and rots, why do you think that is?

And yes, it is a issue about dog control. Or should I say a lack of it.

• Moderators

----------------

On 5/9/2005 4:03:04 PM Tom Adams wrote:

As for harm being done by humans to humans....listen, there are very few instances where Uncle Bob was sitting on his porch and for no real apparent reason decides one day to jump off the porch, chase after the same mailman he's seen every day for 3 years, knock him down and proceed to beat the ever loving sh*t out of him. Or docile Aunt Cleo who one day decides she's had enough of the neighbors' 3 year old crying so she stops making her apple pie, runs over to the neighbors' yard and throttles the kid to death. People have the ability to think and reason - animals CANNOT!

----------------

Sorry, Tom, but I would argue that. Crimes by people against humanity is extrordinarily high. There are many many many people who are simply mean to others and hurt others, for no apparent reason. I'm not talking just physical crimes, but mental abuse can be just as bad, if not worse. Dogs can't even do that. Aren't we advanced.

Could it be similar to the ratio of dogs who attack vs dogs who don't? Hmmm.

And I'm not advocating one breed over another. Pitbulls OBVIOUSLY aren't for everyone. But outlawing them or destroying them is not going to help. Beat and neglect a cute little golden retriever, and you'll probably get a nasty mean golden retriever who'll maul a little kid in a heartbeat.

• Moderators

----------------

On 5/9/2005 4:11:13 PM m00n wrote:

Amy, I have no reason to doubt you, non the less, they have little red beedy eyes and they hiss at you. I shudder just thinking about the nasty creatures.
----------------

LOL, yes I will give you that. They are nasty looking.

A lot of people keep them as pets, you know.

I don't know when I was younger i had a friends brother who owned a Pit Bull. I thought geeze this thing is going to be a killer, and was actually kind of freaked out about it at first. I mean this guy was( the guy who would pick a fight for no reason what so ever) so I thought the dog would be an insane killer. But i watched it grow into one of the greatest, kindest dogs I ever had the pleasure of knowing.

----------------

On 5/9/2005 4:23:07 PM wheelman wrote:

I don't know when I was younger i had a friends brother who owned a Pit Bull (Hank). I thought geeze this thing is going to be a killer, and was actually kind of freaked out about it at first. I mean this guy was about crazy ( the guy who would pick a fight for no reason what so ever) so I thought the dog would be an insane killer. But i watched it grow into one of the greatest, kindest dogs I ever had the pleasure of knowing.

----------------

many are. All the way up to the day they go biserk. Kind of like my x wife.