Alas.. Another pitbull attack.

m00n

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've got the same problem here in Australia as well, m00n. People buy dogs, and don't follow through with the responsibilities inherent in animal ownership. My wife treats me very well. She lines my dogbox with fresh straw once a week. If I behave myself, I'm allowed inside for a couple of hours during the weekends to listen to my Klipschorns.

Child Apparently Mauled By Dog

In Critical Condition

A 23-month old boy is in critical condition at Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland, suffering form serious head and neck injuries that indicate he may have been attacked by a dog.

Portland Police Bureau spokesman Greg Pashley says the boy was apparently in his backyard Saturday evening with at least one adult. There were two pit bull dogs in the yard, both on chains attached to stakes in the ground.

The child apparently was within the reach of one of the dogs which police believe mauled, causing injuries to his head and neck.

Police say the child is in critical condition at Emanuel. The dog was taken to animal control to be quarantined.

The other dog was not involved.

It certainly is unfortunate. One has to wonder, though, where the parents were (and what they were probably drinking, smoking , or snorting) when this happened. The dogs were chained. The supposedly responsible adult should be held accountable for allowing this to happen.

My dogs are as gentle as can be, and I still don't leave the room when my boy and the dogs are together. Let's face it, little kids can freak dogs out, and vice versa. It's about personal responsibility, not governmental intervention. A good conservative should know that. Right?

I hear ya Moon,

The renter down the street was just evicted...finally...and his 2 bull dogs were running loose at least once a week. Many older people and myself walk the neighborhood and some kids were not allowed to play outside because of this.

Darn...I was willing to take a bite so I could fillet those dogs on the spot.

----------------

On 5/7/2005 9:31:18 PM Speedball wrote:

----------------

I hear ya. I hate those dogs. If I seen one walking down the street and I knew I could get away with it, I think my jeep would accidently run it over.

Yes Moon, I'm with you on this.

A family down the road from me USED to own a very "nice" Pitbull... until one day it got past one of the kids as he opened the back-yard gate and attacked an old black lab crossing the road to go home.

This dog went bananas and grabbed the Lab by the throat and would not let go (someone told me they can't once they lock their jaws over something...ya right)I saw this happen while I was shoveling snow, so I ran over to help the Lab by whacking this dog over the back of the head with the shovel. It finally let go only to turn around and attack the (almost dead) lab again.

Got the dog loose again with the owner dragging it back across the road and into its back-yard.

They had to get rid of it about a year later after the Pitbull attacked the neighbor as she was bringing groceries into her house from the car.

I do not see one single desirable attribute about these animals. These people owned this dog since it was 6 weeks old and I am sure they did not abuse it. I know these people pretty well.

I just think that MOST Pitbulls have a defective gene in there somewhere just waiting for an opportunity to nut-up. And they are just plain old UGLY!

This is only my opinion.......I could be wrong.......

Mike

----------------

On 5/7/2005 9:40:26 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 5/7/2005 9:31:18 PM Speedball wrote:

----------------

I hear ya. I hate those dogs. If I seen one walking down the street and I knew I could get away with it, I think my jeep would accidently run it over.

----------------

Your mother must be so proud.

That is nothing. You should see what has been going on around here over the past two months or so:

Pitbull attacks and kills 82-year old women will walking her dog in her yard!

And within a week....:

Another pitbull attack

And then just about a month later.....:

4-year old child killed by pitbull! However, in this case, this was just a tragic accident. The dog was properly contained and the boy wondered to close. However, it prompted plenty of debate on the merits of keeping dogs chained up.

And just when you think it gets better.....:

16 year old attacked on way to school

And finally....:

Police Brief - 3 year old entangled with a pit-bull. Again, this was also just a terrible accident, though. It just shows you really gotta watch your children, especially around larger dogs. Those dogs are twice as big as the kid!

The attack and killing of the 82-year old Mrs Sullivan prompted the state legislater into looking to tighten dog control laws

Also, the owner of those three pit-bulls have been indicted on manslaughter charges and to appear in court in August. Of course, she pled "Not guilty". It is obvious she is not going to take responsibility in that.

You can also read all 40+ articles, opinion pieces, letter-to-editor, etc on this, including Mrs Dorothy Sullivan's obit.

5 dog attacks - two resulting in fatalities! In the span of two months!

Debate it all you want guys, but this just proves how dangerous these dogs can be! The sudden brutal and unprovocated attack on that 82-year old women by those three pit-bulls has really put this area into an uproar! Even causing the state legislater to look into putting some "teeth" (no pun intended" into the dog laws again! Even prompted Spotsylvania County (which is also were I live) to publish a "dangerous dog list" on the website - much like the sex-offender registry.

ben. wrote

My dogs are as gentle as can be, and I still don't leave the room when my boy and the dogs are together. Let's face it, little kids can freak dogs out, and vice versa. It's about personal responsibility, not governmental intervention.

I hear you. I have an 85 lb bull terrier, CKC champ. I don't consider him to be a pitbull. I think he's very handsome but I know that's debatable. He loves people and other animals, doesn't/won't bite and I've never heard him growl or ever seen him even show his teeth going on 7 years now. He's been through obedience classes and along with having been in show is very well socialized. He is never allowed to run free and has his own 6' high chain link kennel, never is he on a chain. He is very good natured and wants to play all the time. I would never leave him alone with a child, he's just too strong and would knock them down. I purchased him from a very reputable breeder and waited 4 years before they sold me one. As for pitbulls I think it is the popularity of these dogs that is their downfall. They are capable of being one of the best companion dogs ever bred, however; too many totally unknowledgable idiots are breeding them and selling them to idiots who don't have a clue how to train/look after this breed.

mungkiman, that's a very handsome dog you have there.

Krispy, thanks but that's not my dog. I downloaded it from a Cane Corso web site. They are bred for hunting stag, and come in a range of colors. I also believe Corsos killed some people in San Francisco a few years back.

Here IS a picture of my dog, which could be a Corso's cousin, but without the cut tail and ears. I tell people that he has Bull Mastiff in him (with Labrador and Sharpei), and don't get a lot of trouble. He is well socialized with both people and other dogs, is neutered, but he seems to have a problem with cats. GOOD BOY!

Chris

post-9039-13819264759276_thumb.jpg

While i am not a fan of pit bulls and truely wonder why folks have them when there are SO many other wonderful breeds with better temperments, I can't help but smile as everyone lines up to specifiy what animal they think should be banned!

And simply because we are seemingly constantly AMAZED (duh!) that they are simply acting within their nature! Gee, but the bunnies and tigers and rabbits and lions get along so well in the Disney movies!

I dare say PEOPLE cause more damage to people (just to start the list!) then ALL of the (fill in the blank) animals that everyone has listed!

Perhaps we should all start to focus on being alittle more responsible ourselves!

And for a start, one wonders what in heck the parents of the chained dogs were doing as the toddler wandered in to the dogs territory!? But I am sure they blame the dogs too! It sure would be nice if just SOME of the victims(sic) in our society took a bit of responsibility for their own contribution for their state of affairs!

And I don't quite understand the wacko reasoning of so many animal owners who somehow fancy the idyllic notion of letting their domesticated animals roam. ...Even if it is simply to avoid their encountering the 'concept' of a car!

It seems to me that just about every cited incident could be avoided if the PEOPLE simply assumed responsibility for their and their pets welfare. But instead of blaming the animals, that would involve us examining our own collective behavior and perhaps making changes! Oh dear!

Yep, I wonder when the great amorphous "they" will do something!?

Well, from where I come from, Walt Kelly and great and illustrious Pogo had it right!

"We have met the enemy and he is us!"

----------------

On 5/8/2005 1:59:45 AM mike stehr wrote:

Yeah, how many people attacks were there today?

----------------

You mean AFTER we, with our amazing selective attention, neglect the assaults, robberies, murders, fights, various assorted bombings, Iraqi IED attacks, spousal abuse, drunk drivers, child abuse, and a list far too long to compile?

You're right. It's Utopia!

People attacks? What was I thinking!?!?

Damned killer bunnies and pit bulls! If we simply got them under control the world would be a darned boring place!

It's nice to know that we have a military to protect us from those bunny attacks!

I agree wholeheartedly on the banishment of this horribly violent breed. But I have another issue with owners of dogs of all types. How can I say this gently, will all dog owners kindly train their animals to 'SHUT the F@ UP!'

I paid a small fortune for my home and am entertained nightly by the yapping and howling of various breeds of dogs, sometimes very late into the night. Are owners deaf to the racket of their own pet's barking, which can be heard all the way down the block? If I played Ozzie at the same volume and for the same time over my Industrial LaScalas the police would be here in 5 minutes!

Have you ever been accosted by a neighbor who expressed displeasure at your pet's noises? What would be an effective and neighborly way of registering a complaint? I'd really like to do this without alerting the police or becoming a vandal.

Michael

One of my neighbors two houses down has a pit-bull "Haley". I have been doing some work on their tractor this past week and I was walking with the neighbor across their yard when Haley was out and I did not feel the least bit comfortable. The dog was running around barking in a way that I would consider viciously and the neighbor was screaming at the dog to calm down, which the dog ignored. I was glad I had a generator in my hand cause I was very ready to see how the dog would like a big hunk of metal up side its head if it had gotten any closer (neighbor there or not).

I tend to be very good with just about all kinds of animals and I have NEVER felt threatened, but I did the other day.

I personally think this breed has been bread with a few spring wound to tight or something.

And yes there is a lot more people doing harm to people and there are people that get attacked by other animals unprovoked but these dogs were bread to do what they do and I don't think anyone can dispute that even if you like this breed.

One last thing, we have a Golden Retriever and I would not even think twice about walking out of the room and leaving Lexie with anyone young or old. I would not want a dog that I had to watch around other people. I have owned a Rottweiler and she was taken to all sorts of training classes and obeyed my every command.

If you are a animal owner it is YOUR RESONABILITY to take care of the animal and make sure that the animal does not cause harm to anyone or anything.

Steve

----------------

On 5/8/2005 6:17:21 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly on the banishment of this horribly violent breed. But I have another issue with owners of dogs of all types. How can I say this gently, will all dog owners kindly train their animals to 'SHUT the F@ UP!'

I paid a small fortune for my home and am entertained nightly by the yapping and howling of various breeds of dogs, sometimes very late into the night. Are owners deaf to the racket of their own pet's barking, which can be heard all the way down the block? If I played Ozzie at the same volume and for the same time over my Industrial LaScalas the police would be here in 5 minutes!

Have you ever been accosted by a neighbor who expressed displeasure at your pet's noises? What would be an effective and neighborly way of registering a complaint? I'd really like to do this without alerting the police or becoming a vandal.

Michael
----------------

I can certainly appreciate your distress! And yes, it is the responsibility of the dog owner to train their pets and to be responsible for their behavior.

Have you tried politely approaching the owners?

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to anticipate the response that "accosting" a neighbor or being belligerent will inspire! But I am also not sure why approaching a neighbor concerning this is such a chore. The worst they can do is say no or be offended. But the manner in which you approach them will most likely effect their reaction more then anything else.

If you have, and this has failed, then call the police. After they receive a visit or two and a citation for disturbing the peace, they may get the message. If not, call the police again and let them deal with it, and ultimately let the court be the arbiter.

And with regards to becoming a vandal, well, if you think that is a viable option, it simply sounds like 'we' have two problems! 9.gif