Alas.. Another pitbull attack.

m00n

Thanks for response Dragonfyr, that is exactly the nature of my problem is that I consider it difficult to 'ask politely'. My nature generally anticipates defensive action on the dog owner's part and things escalating into a shouting match rather quickly. I'd obviously like to avoid confrontation.

Would a anonymous note be considered cowardly or inconsiderate? Unfortunately, the only real legal difficulty is after 10 pm when city noise curfew takes place. During the day, I think we would have a generally unenforceable nuisance policy much like the policy against the thumpin stereos in the neighborhood.

Am I wrong to want some peace and quiet? I tried life on a farm for 8 years, but Amish neighbors brought in a diesel engine to run their buggy shop. Does quiet exist anywhere anymore?

Michael

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think that alot depends on your relationship with the neighbors.

But, while I can appreciate your temper2.gif , I think even you would realize that it's hard to blame them for that!9.gif

A POLITE letter would probably work.

And if that doesn't work, call the cops! In the meantime I would suggest checking with the police regarding the city ordinances pertaining to pets and noise and see exactly what the options are. The last thing you want to do is become a nuisance yourself and overstep the bounds of the law...as then you will be subject to the animal owner's actions!

Generally the police will tell you the best procedure to follow to effect a resolution. And if you are forearmed with this knowledge you can then act to effect the most change without ending up on the bad side of the police as well!2.gif

Good luck!2.gif9.gif

----------------

On 5/8/2005 6:17:21 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I paid a small fortune for my home and am entertained nightly by the yapping and howling of various breeds of dogs, sometimes very late into the night. Are owners deaf to the racket of their own pet's barking, which can be heard all the way down the block? If I played Ozzie at the same volume and for the same time over my Industrial LaScalas the police would be here in 5 minutes!

----------------

I'd record the mutts yapping and play it back thorough those La Scalas. heh heh.

----------------

On 5/7/2005 9:17:09 PM m00n wrote:

I hate these dogs, I really do. And don't even try to tell me that it's the owners fault. I don't want to hear it. Nor do I want to hear about how other dogs bite.

----------------

Although I hate to blame the dog I have to agree, they are involved in far too many incidents. And the sad fact is alot of macho morons are drawn to them, a prescription for tragedy.

Ever wonder why people buy pitbulls?

Just seen a 2 hour show last night about the gestapo during WWII on the history channel. Man's inhumanity to man is beyond comprehension. And it continues as we speak. I wonder how many senseless murders are commited (by humans against humans) for every one of those "high" profile, newspaper selling, pit bull attacks. You know what, everyday murders are old hat.

We have gangs in LA killing people as an initiation. How do we stand for that! This is supposed to be the 21st century in America. An initiation test, my God! Why isn't the press on a non-stop campaign to stop this. But nooooooooooooo they have deemed it wiser to focus on pit bull attacks.

Sorry for rambling but methinks there is something wrong with this picture.

----------------

On 5/8/2005 1:02:11 AM mungkiman wrote:

Krispy, thanks but that's not my dog. I downloaded it from a Cane Corso web site. They are bred for hunting stag, and come in a range of colors. I also believe Corsos killed some people in San Francisco a few years back.

Here IS a picture of my dog, which could be a Corso's cousin, but without the cut tail and ears. I tell people that he has Bull Mastiff in him (with Labrador and Sharpei), and don't get a lot of trouble. He is well socialized with both people and other dogs, is neutered, but he seems to have a problem with cats. GOOD BOY!

Chris

----------------

Thanks for the pic, he looks like a very sturdy fellow. We had to get our cat declawed because she was clawing his face so bad he was a bleeding mess and he was enjoying it so much he just kept coming back for more. Now the cat just bites him, to him that's great fun. He never bites her back but he has sent her flying when he starts spinning and he has also stepped on her a few times. Serves her right nasty *****. I tell people it's the cat you have to worry about not the dog.2.gif

----------------

On 5/8/2005 9:44:01 AM stan krajewski wrote:

Ever wonder why people buy pitbulls?

Just seen a 2 hour show last night about the gestapo during WWII on the history channel. Man's inhumanity to man is beyond comprehension. And it continues as we speak. I wonder how many senseless murders are commited (by humans against humans) for every one of those "high" profile, newspaper selling, pit bull attacks. You know what, everyday murders are old hat.

We have gangs in LA killing people as an initiation. How do we stand for that! This is supposed to be the 21st century in America. An initiation test, my God! Why isn't the press on a non-stop campaign to stop this. But nooooooooooooo they have deemed it wiser to focus on pit bull attacks.

Sorry for rambling but methinks there is something wrong with this picture.
----------------

Be careful! I think the quote was:

"Yeah, how many people attacks were there today?"

...couldn't resist! What gasoline? What fire? 2.gif9.gif

----------------

On 5/8/2005 6:43:57 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Would a anonymous note be considered cowardly or inconsiderate? Unfortunately, the only real legal difficulty is after 10 pm when city noise curfew takes place. During the day, I think we would have a generally unenforceable nuisance policy much like the policy against the thumpin stereos in the neighborhood.

Michael
----------------

Perhaps you might get a recording of THEIR dog barking, then play the recording back over your system very nice & loud so they complain.

When the police come to investigate, you can honestly say it was THEIR dog barking

11.gif

----------------

On 5/8/2005 7:15:25 AM filmboydoug wrote:

I'd record the mutts yapping and play it back thorough those La Scalas. heh heh.

----------------

Dang, you beat me to it.

Please ignore my comment above, I did'nt read that far down before making comment.

I agree that Pit Bulls along with Rottweilers, Mastiffs and some others are more prone to sudden and apparently unprovoked violent attacks. Nevertheless, Ive experienced examples of each of the breeds that seemed fine, but I would not leave them unsupervised with a child.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I like dogs and grew up around dogs. But, recent experiences suggest thats its unwise to leave ANY dog and small child together without immediate adult supervision. My wife still criticizes me for not being cautious enough around strange dogs.

In my prior professional life I had need to be involved, after the fact, in many incidents of dog bites. Many despite adult supervision, and many preceded by, Dont worry, he doesnt bite or words to that effect. Instead, it should have been stated, He hasnt bitten anyone yet.

All dogs deserve cautious respect; the problem breeds even more so. IMHO people own the problem dogs for the same reason people own bass thumping vehicular audio, to say LOOK AT ME. Not for the love of dogs or the love of music.

----------------

On 5/8/2005 7:15:25 AM filmboydoug wrote:

I'd record the mutts yapping and play it back thorough those La Scalas. heh heh.----------------

Unfortunately, while perhaps making you feel better, it would have to be sufficient as you would also be held legally liable for your actions as you would be disturbing the peace just like the original issue! And as the original problem was having to listen to the dogs 'once', the net result would be that you get to listen to the dogs even more! I hope the judge has a sense of humor as you are fined the same as the dog owners!Seems a Pyrrhic victory at best! 9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

Of course,in the spirit of being just as bad or worse then the original offense in order to correct it... you could always simply deploy some C4 for the dogs and keep additional in case the owners take issue with this...And then just a bit more for when the police do respond, and then the National Guard, and... Gee, it seemed to work for David Koresh, and his dogs didn't even bark!!11.gif14.gif

The problem would be taken care of if a pitbull owner were told that if his dog kills someone, the owner's life is forfeit. But that isn't going to happen. And pitbull owners aren't typically millionaires, so they don't have that much to worry about as far as lawsuits go.

----------------

On 5/8/2005 11:02:12 AM Parrot wrote:

The problem would be taken care of if a pitbull owner were told that if his dog kills someone, the owner's life is forfeit. But that isn't going to happen. And pitbull owners aren't typically millionaires, so they don't have that much to worry about as far as lawsuits go.
----------------

If only that worked...

That doesn't work now with "If you kill someone you face the death penalty!"

As when committing crimes, the 'bad guy' does not fancy themself being caught! As they are far too clever.

But I am amused by the rampant stereotypes of animals, dog owners and with the 'let's break the law in order to enforce it" mentality! 2.gif8.gif

You're certainly right that criminals don't think *they're* going to get caught. But they know that even if sentenced to death, they have at least 15 years of appeals and are unlikely to ever actually be executed.

----------------

On 5/8/2005 10:55:52 AM DizRotus wrote:

IMHO people own the problem dogs for the same reason people own bass thumping vehicular audio, to say LOOK AT ME.

----------------

Another very good valid point.

----------------

On 5/8/2005 11:11:55 AM Parrot wrote:

You're certainly right that criminals don't think *they're* going to get caught. But they know that even if sentenced to death, they have at least 15 years of appeals and are unlikely to ever actually be executed.
----------------

Not in Texas!

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html#Thedogsmostlikelytobite

"Although pit bull mixes and Rottweillers are most likely to kill and seriously maim, fatal attacks since 1975 have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictibility is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.)

In all fairness, therefore, it must be noted that:

Any dog, treated harshly or trained to attack, may bite a person. Any dog can be turned into a dangerous dog. The owner most often is responsible -- not the breed, and not the dog.

An irresponsible owner or dog handler might create a situation that places another person in danger by a dog, without the dog itself being dangerous, as in the case of the Pomeranian that killed the infant (see above).

Any individual dog may be a good, loving pet, even though its breed is considered to be likely to bite. A responsible owner can win the love and respect of a dog, no matter its breed. One cannot look at an individual dog, recognize its breed, and then state whether or not it is going to attack."

----------------

On 5/8/2005 11:33:20 AM krispykoilz wrote:

One cannot look at an individual dog, recognize its breed, and then state whether or not it is going to attack."
----------------

Exactly! Despite the fact that I would not own, nor would I want anyone in my sphere of influence to own a pit bull.

One more point...even the most gentle dogs when left by irresponsible owners to roam, when they form a pack react in a pack mentality where even the most gentle dog will kill.

So if you have a pet or a child or are just stuck with yourself, act responsibly! And if you encounter another, mention it civily &/or call the police.

The last thing we need is for the supposed 'good guys' morphing into the same thing they complain about!

And short of that, take care of your own business.