Happy Mothers Day - Belles for Mom

richieb

My 84 year old mother had not seen the Belles I had to drive to Chicago for pick-up. After seeing them and hearing Mr. Tony Bennett as close to live as possible, Mom said "it looks like they were well worth the effort". I about flipped. I didn't raise no dummy, and neither did Mom.

Happy Mothers Day.

----------------

On 5/8/2005 1:21:40 PM seti wrote:

Let me get this straight you bought your mother a pair of Belles?

If this doesn't get you into heaven or at least a sainthood I'll be dammed if I know what would.

----------------

I wish I could claim such genorosity. No, they are mine but Mom can listen any time she wants.

Wow! My lil' ol' 84 year old Grandmom uses a cheap '90s RadioShack mini amp, tape deck, record player, and Optimus minimonitors that she picked out for herself after her beautiful 1959 Motorola tube stereo console crapped out years ago (instead of giving it to family to repair and keep, she literally dumped it in a landfill...the horror)! Quality sound isn't important to her unfortunantly, and she's perfectly content with the RadioShack setup (ugh). Belle Klipsch would be totally wasted on her, I'm afraid. Your mom's got a golden ear, especially at her age...good for her!

That's fantastic, Kathy! Glad to hear you're lovin' the dynamic sounds from your RF-7s. Just like Richard's mom, who also appreciates good sound through her Belle Klipsch.

I love it when women can acknowledge not only good music but also good sound, and can also appreciate what unfortunantly is a male-dominated hobby, the ownership of quality audio components in the realistic reproduction of a live musical event, whether it's in a studio or in a large concert hall! My mom is not the latter...she's content listening to her light jazz tunes through an AM radio (although her "radio" of choice is now a restored vintage 1936 Philco AM/Shortwave vacuum tube console radio my dad rebuilt for her; before that it was just a little cheap boombox). But she doesn't care if it's in stereo, mono, or if her speaker had a blown tweeter...as long as she can hear it, even if it sounds like "on hold" elevator music through a telephone, that's all that matters to her. She, just like my dad's mom, doesn't understand the passion all the male members in our family have for life-like music reproduction, and the excessive amounts of money we'll go through in search of that true musical nirvana.

True. For what they are, they sound amazingly good. The mini amp is maybe between 5 to 10 WPC, and the Optimus play along just fine for my grandmom's gospel music on prerecorded tape and LPs. She only plays them at "background" levels, so they'll last forever!