Speaker War/JBL takes on Klipsch!

Spkrdctr

The vintage JBL stuff is great, how about the T250's and the matching B-460 subwoofer! The L100, L200, & L300 and the Ti versions were all very well made and nice sounding speakers but a tad low on the efficiency side which a larger amp would remedy.

I had a B380 subwoofer for awhile with the matching BX-63A network that thing was HUGE!! Got it for a song at the Mainz-Kastel Army Post in Germany in the latter part of the 80's for like $330. It was a floor model and they threw in a new set of grills for it.

JBL is my second favorite speaker line, I am not familiar with any of their latest offerings though.

----------------

On 5/12/2005 9:49:06 AM Spkrdctr wrote:

Ken, I didn't get the series/model of them. They looked narrow like the Synergys, not the Northridge line. I'll have to go back in next week and see. Next Monday, I'm at Best Buy.....
----------------

The issue is - I WORK there and have no clue what you are talking about. I see products in the computer weeks, sometimes months before they come out.

----------------

On 5/12/2005 11:27:25 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The L100, L200, & L300 and the Ti versions were all very well made and nice sounding speakers but a tad low on the efficiency side which a larger amp would remedy.

----------------

93db efficiancy for an L300 is low? Granted it's not the Khorn's 104db but it can still belt it out without too much power4.gif

----------------

On 5/12/2005 1:59:21 PM krustyoldsarge wrote:

----------------

On 5/11/2005 10:46:23 AM Marvel wrote:

They have passed law in Korea and Japan that they must buy up vintage JBL...

Now we can't afford them.

----------------

Believable. I run into quite a bit of the stuff along with vintage Macintosh in Korean audio boutiques.

----------------

I was really joking, but they do run up the prices. 2.gif

"93db efficiancy for an L300 is low? Granted it's not the Khorn's 104db but it can still belt it out without too much power"

The woofer in the L-300 was the LE-15, a real killer. It was developed by Ed May and Bart Locanthi with the goal of increased linearity over earlier JBL woofers, that improvement came at the expense of efficiency.

The LE-15 has an underhung 4" voicecoil and a very powerful motor. I had a pair of the "B" models which used a corrugated surround and they sounded great in 6 cubic foot sealed boxes.

May went on to design the Gauss drivers and Locanthi went to Altec and then Pioneer where he designed the first TAD drivers and the highly regarded Pioneer HPM speakers.

----------------

On 5/12/2005 1:35:42 PM kenratboy wrote:

----------------

On 5/12/2005 9:49:06 AM Spkrdctr wrote:

Ken, I didn't get the series/model of them. They looked narrow like the Synergys, not the Northridge line. I'll have to go back in next week and see. Next Monday, I'm at Best Buy.....
----------------

The issue is - I WORK there and have no clue what you are talking about. I see products in the computer weeks, sometimes months before they come out.

----------------

I know Ken. I was suprised when I saw them. I had not seen anything like them before. I'll get back in there on Monday and find out what they were. Something fishy going on here...... or I'm all screwed up. I'll get the info though no matter what.

OK Ken, I have been back to Best Buy and checked out the speakers properly. They were in fact Northridge Series speakers, the E90. Oh well..... I figured what the heck, JBL wants real money for these, so I'll give them a listen. They sounded pretty good!

So I went over and kicked on the F3s and WHAM, SLAM, BAM Boom! It was like the entire band that was playing, jumped out from the wall and stood in front of me! The detail and clarity in the horn literally smoked the E90. The clarity of the bass was at a much higher level. I almost couldn't believe I thought the E90s sounded good. When put up against the F1 or F3 they were clearly in second place. The F1 really sounded great for its size. The F2 had a wiring problem in the switch gear, so when you selected it, it would just kill all the sound. Anyway, the F1 was amazing with the SW12 sub. I was stunned by the combination, far more than the sum of its parts. But, the F-3s really rocked on their own.

Also, a guy was getting loaded up by the Best Buy employee with a set of Klipsch speakers new and in the box. I don't even think he knew what he had. He will be all smiles when he gets it hooked up. Another guy had a complete Bose system and was buying that, The sales kid sold him what he wanted even though it sounded mediocre......

Why do people waste money on buying a non-Klipsch product? Can they be that ignorant????? Oh wait, I know the answer..... yes, they are that ignorant......15.gif

Yes, it appears they are the speakers! Of course, I istened to them on two different setups with the same music. They seem way overpriced for what you get........

I did see the SW12 sub on sale for $473.... my wife said "Just buy it if you want it", I replied that I know it will be on sale cheaper than that in the future..... so, I'm a tightwad without a sub until I get a house. Apartment living and subs do not go together!