• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 5/12/2005 5:14:57 PM Budman wrote:

absolutely stunning. i think they look best without the grill cloth

----------------

I considered this too, but since I need the bass bin grills to cover up the non-veneered parts, I went with the full grill treatment

those are wicked!

Is that a very expensive veneer type?

I'm seriously going to reveneer a pair of Heresies as a warm up to doing 5 Cornwalls later this year. I've read the many threads on how to do it, but do you have any hints on purchasing the veneer, ie how much, how much waste, how to bookmatch it and do the layout of what piece goes where, etc.

I'm thinking of doing the whole bunch in Teak, so it'd probably be most efficient to do all the layouts at once, wouldn't it? You seem to have a great ability to do not just bookmatching, but edgematching the top/side panels etc. To me that will be the tricky part. Are there certain species without much grain figureing that are easier to work with in this regard?

Thanks for any tips you can give this newbie...

Michael

Shouldn't that be "BADA BUBINGA BADA BABOOMBA?" 2.gif

Gorgeous work, cueman. Your earlier photos showed a purplish tint to the wood. Was that an artifact, or was the color changed in the finishing? That edgework is a beautiful finishing touch.

Michael, if you haven't alrady, go and browse the wood menu at certainlywood.com. They have prices for all of their veneers and photos of a lot of them on their site. I love that place. 10.gif

----------------

On 5/12/2005 5:36:39 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

those are wicked!

Is that a very expensive veneer type?

Thanks for any tips you can give this newbie...

Michael

----------------

The veneer cost me $125. I would have had plenty left over for another pair of Heresies had I not screwed up and had to redo one of the cabinets.

The grain on this veneer made it very difficult to cut with a strightedge and a blade. What I did was take all 6 sheets for one cabinet, bolted them between 2 peices of 3/4" MDF, and ran it through my table saw to get a good edge on it. It worked perfect. You have to remeber to bookmatch them first so you get the cut on all the right edges.

Veneer usually comes in long pieces, like 80"-100" or more and are consecutive sheets. So what you do is fold every other sheet over to bookmatch them. An 80" sheet of veneer is easily enough to wrap around one Heresy cabinet. For Heresies, I recommend looking for veneer that is 14" or more wide. That way, you don't need to cut and bookmatch. I would do it that way as a first project.

I have bought veneer from ebay sellers 'lepkowski' and 'thouge' and both were better than their pictures showed. I would just say to take your time, plan thoroughly and have fun. It is a rewarding project.