Ahhhhhhh!!!!.... MC60's

Gilbert

MC60's

I've been entertaining the sick idea of building a HTS with Tube Amps. These would be a nice addition to my present pair.....Ooooh help me.... I'm saving up for the VRD's, but these are pulling awfly hard. Oh, Scotty, please beam these babies away from my sight.

I thought about doing this - but the thought of matching up 5-6 channels of tube amplification in an HT was enough to give my wallet and patience "the willies". I prefer to keep the tubes in 2 channel....it tends to be more of the "sonic laboratory" here.....whereas the consistency and low maintenance of the HT is a good "backup" to fall back on for my normal use.......especially if I am experimenting/tweaking in the 2 channel setup, or by chance it needs service.

Imagine discovering that "magic tube" that makes one of your MC60's sing......then realizing you need tubes for 5-6 of these babies! Hope you aren't too attached to GEC KT88's! That's wayyyyy too deep of a rabbit hole for me. Even if I did have the dough, I have a feeling it would be just as much "fiddling" as enjoying the HT, in that case.

I also find the added power/wattage available in SS amps are probably better for HT use anyway, where the 30-60 watts in a 2 channel tube setup is more than adequate. Generally speaking, I am more likely to use the extra power in the HT than the 2 channel setup. VMMV.

It would be a very interesting project.....but a BIG one.

----------------

On 5/21/2005 8:47:35 AM dodger wrote:

And Audible has pulled a huge rabbit through a tiny hole!.

----------------

Please explain......what did you do Dave?

As for a HTS, the tubes are readily available, not cheap, but available. Based on what I've learned,....a nos power tube has over 10,000 hours of reliable use. Granted the initial investment will be high, but once your there, just kick back and enjoy.

You can always switch to 2 channel and run just a pair or (three) for your listening pleasure. Hmmmm, I'm talking myself into this..STOP!

Welp Gilbert,

Seems we're in the minority here 3.gif . I've thought about doing essentially the same thing but carried it a bit further. My curiosity was, if 2A3 amps put the musicians in the room with you, then could they make HT even seem MORE "real" at the expense of SPL.

I also wondered if HT would sound good using Academy's ALL the way around, then I could just wire up two seperate independent systems (since I have 3 Academy's already).

I won't say both got shot down... but they did lol.

My way of thinking is, how do we know it is or isn't a good idea until it's tried? People (who clearly know more than I) say there's a better way so I have to be inclined to belive them. That said, who knows until you try.

Again, it's not like you are throwing $$ away, you would not have any issues reselling that stuff so your real risk is just the spread of what you pay for them verses what you might resell them for (and the hassel of course)

I'm just rambling here as I wait on the wifey to call me so I can drive into town & meet her when she's ready.

well, I think I can have my cake and eat it too. I'll get the VRD's, and use them as part of the system. Once I've sampled them, I can decide what amp I want to go with for the HTS.

Based on what I've heard about Craigs amps, my suspicion is, I might end up liking'em more than the MC's. You never know unless you try. And I'm just the kinda fella that loves to do things that people say can't be done. So, I'll follow Deans advice, he's much much older 2.gif, and a little wiser than I. So I'll be get'in cake (VRD's) in a month or 2.