Attn: Allan Your Jazz Essentials?

• Moderators

Allan,

Happy Birthday, glad I have another bourbon drinking buddy (but you should switch to Bookers). Now that you are the ripe old age of 48 I was wondering if you could tell us all what you would consider the essential ten (or 25 if you cannot narrow it down to 10) jazz lp's anyone starting a jazz collection should own. Would also love to hear what other forum members would list as their essential 10/25.

Travis

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have to agree with you on the Bookers!

My favorites:

Dave Brubeck Time Out

Miles Davis Kind of Blue

Sonny Rollins Saxophone Collossus

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto Getz & Gilberto

Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else

Count Basie Orchestra Complete Atomic Basie

John Coltrane Giant Steps

Tito Puente Top Percussion (OK, I like Latin Jazz)

Art Blakey Moanin'

Gerry Mulligan and Ben Webster Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster - great synergy

I've been drinking Bookers for YEARS--I just refuse to drink it over ice and I was sitting on a patio on an 85 degree day and room temperature Bookersjust wouldn't work in those environs, so I went for the Turkey 101 over ice. Makers or Ezra over ice would have been just fine too I suppose, but I seem to always order Turkey when drinking Bourbon on the rocks.

Ten for ME or ten for YOU? I'm guessing you want straight-ahead stuff, so here goes off the top of my head. You'd have gotten a different list yesterday and would get another again tomorrow, but here goes as of NOW (in no particualr order). All of this music is pretty easy to listen to--even for the complete novice.

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messegnerrs "Moanin'" Blue Note 4003

Jimmy Smith "The Sermon!" Blue Note 4011

Art Pepper "Meets the Rythym Section" Contemporary

Sonny Rollins "Saxophone Collosus" Prestige

Thelonious Monk "Brilliant Corners" Riverside

John Coltrane "A Love Supreme" Impulse

Miles Davis "Kind of BLue" Columbia

Larry Young "Unity" Blue Note 4221

Ornette Coleman "The Shape of Jazz to Come" Atlantic

Sonny Clark "Cool Struttin'" Blue Note 1588

OK--so there are 10 you can buy today and never regret one penny spent.

If you want another list in a few days as I said I'm sure it would be different . . .

----------------

On 5/21/2005 3:07:30 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Parrot--it sure must be rough on you to go through life with so few friends. You are SUCH a DICK!

----------------

Allan, I will excuse your rude comment. I'm sure it's the Bookers talking.

Anyway, I do not discriminate when it comes to friends. Many of them could drink you under the table.

• Moderators

Alan,

Alright, at least two other Bookers fans on this forum.

No I meant, 10 essential for you. If you were forced to get of everything you own, which 10/25 would be essential for YOU keep, forgetting value, collectability, i.e., based soley on the music, performance, sonics, etc.

Travis

----------------

On 5/21/2005 3:20:22 PM dwilawyer wrote:

forgetting value, collectability

----------------

It's not possible for some people to do this. Much of their pleasure comes from being able to brag up how much they paid for something, and how exclusive their "club" is.

First, please pay no attention to the feathered troll in our midst. His wife is out of town and there's nobody home for him to abuse or to tell him to take his pills.

OK, if I was packing for a long voyage IN TEN MINUTES and I could only bring 10 albums:

Art Pepper "The Omega Tapes" (various reissues, most recently on the Mosaic label).

John Coltrane "Africa/Brass" Impulse

Larry Young "Into Something" Blue Note

Tina Brooks "Minor Move" Blue Note

Thelonious Monk "Monk's Mood" Columbia

Joe Henderson "Page One" Blue Note

Clifford Jordan/John Gilmore "Blowing in From Chicago" Blue Note

Helen Merrill "Helen Merrill" Emarcy

Sonny Rollins "Way Out West" Contemporary

Ornette Coleman "The Shape of Jazz to Come" Atlantic

If you ask me again in an hour you'll get a different list

Evening All - new to the Forum; but not to Klipsch or jazz. I teach/play for a living. I thought all of the lists are great. I was just a little interested in the complete instrumental emphasis. No singers? How about Nancy Wilson singing with Cannonball? Get both fixes at the same time. Lady Day with Lester or Joe Williams with ANYBODY???? I understand the new list every hour, and am glad for it. Another way to look at it is you could go on the island with ten Monk recordings, and spend the rest of your life attempting to wrap your mind around that genius, or Miles or Bird or Coleman Hawkins. Hawk's influence on the development of bop is sadly often overlooked.

I admit NOT understanding the "not friendly" parrot droppings. I guess it is a "had to be there thing". Thanks for all the help.....I don't miss a day "studying" here at the Forum.

All my best!

Ken