Attn: Allan Your Jazz Essentials?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A worthwhile thread to resurrect & some great recommendations listed here. So I'll throw in a couple of records by my all time favorite jazz artist, the great Zoot Sims. Here are 3 readily available recordings of Zoot playing with a variety of jazz legends. Zoot followed in the footsteps of Sax player Lester Young and his style could be termed 'post Bop Swing.' I just made that up.Straight ahead jazz standards that swing. Hopefully I can post pictures of the albums, all of which are part of the regular rotation at my house.

Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers

Zoot at Ease

The Innocent Years

I have about 35 Zoot Sims cds, & LPs & these are 3 that I can recommend without reservation, just check out the sidemen & you know you are in for a trreat. Enjoy, Stephen.

JL, I have never seen that in my many years of combing cd/Lp racks, so for me it only exists on Youtube. If you like the combo check out this Basie/Sims cd with John Heard on bass & Louie Bellson on drums. Great small combo line-up.

Basie & Zoot

Great suggestion Stephen. As a matter of fact I just bought that one on Ebay!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370713110952?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I love that Youtube video so got to try this CD. The bass play (Cleveland Eaton) is phenomenal, and they truly are having a good time. Great stuff.

Glad to hear you picked up that cd, JL. (Also congrats on a dominant performance last night as the Tide rolled over ND). I will warn you however once you start acquiring Zoot Sims cds it becomes hard to stop.His fluid playing & swinging sensabilities are quite addicting. If you like small combos featuring piano, Zoot recorded some great albums with Jimmy Rowles, check these out when you can:

If I'm Lucky: Zoot Sims Meets Jimmy Rowles

Warm Tenor

Suddenly It's Spring

Very Nice! I recently picked up a first pressing Kind of Blue for $35, NM. I am very satisfied. Fwiw, the seller (local shop) said this was mono, but it turned out to be stereo. I don't have it in front of me right now to see the catalog number. Sounds fantastic to my ears.

I heard this was THE jazz album (or album at all) to have in you collection. I heard some tunes on youtube and it is just my cup of tea!!

$350?? man that was a good investment!!!

Almost wish I had kept it. As nice as the Classic reissue sounds, there's something about those old Columbia 2 and 6 eye pressings that can't be recreated. MOFI has a 45rpm box set coming out soon. I've already placed my order.