• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 5/21/2005 3:07:30 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Parrot--it sure must be rough on you to go through life with so few friends. You are SUCH a DICK!

----------------

Gee, Alan! I just got off another thread wondering why someone has to resort to pointed language. It's not profane, but I reckon if you thought a little harder, you could come back with something better than that! 2.gif

EDIT: Apart from that, this is a very good thread. Some of the recommendations look very interesting.

----------------

On 5/23/2005 10:04:12 PM garymd wrote:

Paul seems to have dropped out of sight............hopefully with this tailfeathers between his legs.
2.gif

It's unfortunate because he has much to offer this forum when he wishes to do so.
12.gif

----------------

Very kind words, Gary. Paul has much to offer. I find it highly unlikely though, that Paul would have his tailfeathers between his legs. I would suggest he is merely preening his feathers, allowing the opposition time to regroup before he returns to kick butt... 2.gif

Paul kick butt? That's the funniest thing I've heard around here in a long while. All he managed to do is this thread is make a complete *** of himself.

Lets say we all go listen to an old Sam Lazar record and forget about that silly little DICK for a while!

e44548fpzf2.jpg

Now, Alan. Behave... 2.gif You need to access a Roget's Thesaurus. You get kind of repetitive at times.

Anyhow, just for you, I bought 'Way Out West' the other day. Not vinyl, unfortunately, but an okay recording.

Guess what?

I just can't get into it. I like track four, sort of, (can't remember the track name at the moment), but the rest doesn't make sense.

So for a jazz ignoramous, what recommendations do you or any other kind person reading this thread, have in an inexpensive box set. Various artists. Kind of an introduction to jazz that could be purchased over the net...???

A lot of stuff you guys talk about is way over my head.

Jazz isn't for everyone, pal. You should probably just stick with what you're familiar with and stay within your "comfort zone." For some an open mind is a very frightening prospect. I understand, really I do!

In other words, don't waste your time or money!

----------------

On 5/24/2005 7:03:04 AM Allan Songer wrote:

In other words, don't waste your time or money!

----------------

Finally, some sound advice. Since it's so early in the morning, it's probably Allan doing the talking this time.

----------------

On 5/24/2005 12:20:13 AM edwinr wrote:

So for a jazz ignoramous, what recommendations do you or any other kind person reading this thread, have in an inexpensive box set. Various artists. Kind of an introduction to jazz that could be purchased over the net...???

----------------

Edwin,

I have enjoyed this series. The recording quality is pretty variable, but you get a ton of music for cheap. If you find something you like, you can seek out the vinyl versions. Search (places like Amazon and eBay) for "Original Jazz Masters Series"

Seemed like a great topic but the bickering has been a downer. At any rate I was happy to see the lists as I am getting back into vinyl and trying to broaden my musical horizons as well. Just so happens that I picked up the following:

John Coltrane Blue Train

Miles Davis Kind of Blue

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Moanin'

Horace Silver 6 Pieces of Silver

which seem to show up on some of the lists. Wish I had ordered after the topic came up as I might have gotten more. I got the 200g versions and they are really nice. Have only had time to listen to JCs Blue Train and really like it, hope the rest are that good.

Blue Train would surely be on my list for newbies, like myself, to give a try. I also really like Horace Silvers Songs for my Father GaryMD gave me the LP and I have been listening steadily for a month or so.

Side note:

On these older disc when they are offered up in stereo and mono are you better off with the mono? Blue Train was the only one I got in Stereo, but it is sort of odd. Horns and piano out of the left speaker and guitar drums in the right. I think all from both and no stereo might actually sound nicer.

Generally those discs sound better to me in mono. In a system that's not really offering the proper stereo seperation (like in the car), the early stereo stuff sounds better in stereo. It's be nice if a pre offered a variable control to mix a mono and stereo signal so one could "split the difference", and I think that's be about right. Probably not too practical, though.

----------------

On 5/24/2005 10:12:13 AM rplace wrote:

On these older disc when they are offered up in stereo and mono are you better off with the mono? Blue Train was the only one I got in Stereo, but it is sort of odd. Horns and piano out of the left speaker and guitar drums in the right. I think all from both and no stereo might actually sound nicer.

----------------

Sometimes--I think it started this way in the late 50s--the mono mix was derived from the two-track master. In that case, the mono mix will be a generation down. But that may not bother you, as it's a personal taste thing. If you have a mono switch on a preamp/integrated, try playing a stereo record with it switched to mono and see how that sounds. Otherwise, I'd go with the mono release.

Don't take Alan's opinions about jazz too seriously. His may not match your own. I mentioned a Coltrane album I liked here once and Alan was all over me because he didn't think it was representative of Coltrane's work. Its practically my favorite album. It was in his early period and he wasn't even playing his own stuff. When I did hear what Alan recommended I was horrified and dismayed that Coltrane had deteriorated into "playing" shlock phoney authentic jazz. I'm a musician and I know crap when I hear it.

Parrrot, keep up the good work - this thread was getting dull as jazz until you came back.

----------------

On 5/24/2005 1:34:17 PM pauln wrote:

When I did hear what Alan recommended I was horrified and dismayed that Coltrane had deteriorated into "playing" shlock phoney authentic jazz. I'm a musician and I know crap when I hear it.

Parrrot, keep up the good work - this thread was getting dull as jazz until you came back.
----------------

These two statements about sum it up as far as your credibility is concerned. In one breath, you basically claim to be an expert on music, and in the next breath categorically dismiss jazz as dull.

Yanni is a musician as well, I suppose we should look to him for what jazz should sound like, too.

From the mouths of dilettantes...

----------------

On 5/24/2005 1:34:17 PM pauln wrote:

Don't take Alan's opinions about jazz too seriously. His may not match your own. I mentioned a Coltrane album I liked here once and Alan was all over me because he didn't think it was representative of Coltrane's work. Its practically my favorite album. It was in his early period and he wasn't even playing his own stuff. When I did hear what Alan recommended I was horrified and dismayed that Coltrane had deteriorated into "playing" shlock phoney authentic jazz. I'm a musician and I know crap when I hear it.

Parrrot, keep up the good work - this thread was getting dull as jazz until you came back.----------------

Oh, so your a musician and therefore we must all bow down to your unassailable negative opinion of Coltrane's contribution to jazz. ALL HAIL PAULN as he is saving the world from having to endure "schlock phoney authentic jazz!"

And by the way, what you were listening to was for the most part taken from an ART BLAKEY BIG BAND record, NOT a John Coltrane record! Some nice soloing from a very immature Coltrane to be sure--Donald Byrd and Jimmy Cleveland are strong on this date too and AL Cohn wrote some great charts that really allow Blakey to DRIVE this big band with a vengence. Nice record.

Some of the other cuts come from an "all star" octet blowing session called "The Winner's Circle" which really isn't much of a record at all. I can't remeber the last time I pulled this one out.

Love the line "isn't even playing his own stuff." What a SILLY boy!