Attn: Allan Your Jazz Essentials?

Differing opinions are welcome! As long as they are SOMEWHAT informed that is . . .

I attend symphonic concerts at Disney Hall and the Hollywood Bowl and chamber music concerts at Royce Hall regularly, but I never make comments about classical music around here because my knowledge base is rather limited. I just listen and enjoy and try to learn from those who CAN offer expert opinions and advice.

Yours and PaulN's opinions about jazz are pretty much worthless. Listen and learn and THEN perhaps you will be able join in without making asses of yourselves! But that doesn't mean you should stop listening! Jazz is, after all, America's greatest cultrual gift to the ENTIRE WORLD--and includes YOU Mr. Parrot -- if you would only open your heart and mind.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 5/24/2005 10:12:13 AM rplace wrote:

Side note:

On these older disc when they are offered up in stereo and mono are you better off with the mono? Blue Train was the only one I got in Stereo, but it is sort of odd. Horns and piano out of the left speaker and guitar drums in the right. I think all from both and no stereo might actually sound nicer.

----------------

I usually get the mono versions if they're from the early 60s or earlier. A few of the stereo copies were done well like Sonny Clark's, "Cool Strutin'." Almost every original Blue Note or Verve LP where I own one of each, the mono always seems to sounds better.

The Blue Note Classic series LPs are the best sounding reissues I've ever heard. I own most of them. Cool Struttin' and Something Else are the only stereo copies I have. I'm not impressed with the Blue Note Conisseur Series which is also 180 or 200 gram. They just sound flat to me. I don't think they're still available but you can find sealed copies on ebay from time to time. I bought a copy of Tina Brooks, True Blue off ebay and was extremely disappointed. Luckily I only paid about $15. On the other hand, Contemporary reissues, mono OR stereo, all seem to sound really good and they're pressed on regular old cheapo vinyl.

----------------

On 5/24/2005 7:03:04 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Jazz isn't for everyone, pal. You should probably just stick with what you're familiar with and stay within your "comfort zone." For some an open mind is a very frightening prospect. I understand, really I do!

In other words, don't waste your time or money!

----------------

Originally I wrote a longer response. After thinking about it, and reading what you've posted, I realised you had done all the wotk for me. So I've deleted it.

Way to go, Alan! 9.gif

----------------

On 5/24/2005 8:38:24 AM fini wrote:

----------------

On 5/24/2005 12:20:13 AM edwinr wrote:

So for a jazz ignoramous, what recommendations do you or any other kind person reading this thread, have in an inexpensive box set. Various artists. Kind of an introduction to jazz that could be purchased over the net...???

----------------

Edwin,

I have enjoyed
The recording quality is pretty variable, but you get a ton of music for cheap. If you find something you like, you can seek out the vinyl versions. Search (places like Amazon and eBay) for "Original Jazz Masters Series"

----------------

Thanks, fini. That looks really good. It's my birthday soon. I've ordered and when it arrives I'll give it to my wife so it can form part (hopefully a small part) of my present. 3.gif Vinyl is my preference, but you've got to start somewhere.

Edwin,

I've recommended this CD about a dozen times. It's called "The Best Blue Note Album In The World.............Ever" and is available for about $15 anywhere. Disk 1 is comprised of Blue Note's biggest sellers and it's a great way to get your feet wet and figure out if this type of jazz is for you. There's not a bad song on disk 1. Disk 2 has some newer stuff I don't care for but also has a couple older classics from Jimmy Smith and Dexter Gordon.

Thanks, Gary. Another great recommendation. As you know, it's really hard to get into a genre with little knowledge where to start. I hate the idea of buying a 'best of' series for the dummies. But...

My problem is compounded by the fact that I live in a very small town and there is no proper music retail store here. Other than 'K-mart' which is like your 'Wall-Mart'. My only option is buying over the internet. This has worked out okay though. Friends have given me some good pointers. I've only scored a couple of 'bummers'. These don't get thrown out, because I give them away in the form of presents etc... 12.gif

My apologies for suggesting you were not serious. Here is an EXCELLENT compliation from one of the great labels in jazz circa 1955-1977, Les Koenig's Contemporary Records. I am a huge fan of this label and have every original 12" release. The sound engineer Roy DuNann is one of the best who ever lived and Koenig had great taste--some of the artists who made their home at Contemporary were Art Pepper, Shelley Manne, Curtis Counce, Hampton Hawes, Barney Kessell, Harold Land, Orentte Coleman, Sonny Rollins, Buddy Collette, Phineas Newborn, Teddy Edwards--well, the list is long and quite distinguished. I might have made different choices, but this is a very nice box set FULL of great music and should be available at all the usual sources such as amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00023GFQI/qid%3D1117063032/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-5225154-3218448

B00023GFQI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Hey! Back off, Alan. I don't want to get into this group hug thing! 2.gif

But seriously, thanks for your kind recommendation. That's another avenue for me to canvas... 1.gif

EDIT: Thanks, Alan. Another one I just slapped on to my Amazon account. Shipping to Australia is pretty good. Around ten days from the date of order.

I had to wait for the 2 hour season finale of LOST to end before listening to "Landslide, Volume 1" my -just recieved today- Curtis Counce LP (recorded in 1956 on Contemporary). Great LP and very good recording as always (although not quite as good as Counceltation IMO). Maybe the best $5 LP I own! Harold Land on tenor, Jack Sheldon on trumpet, Carl Perkins on piano and Curtis on bass of course.

When Les Koenig reissued the Counce LPs in the early 70's he changed the titles of the first two LPs. Originally the first record was called "The Curtis Counce Group" and the second "You Get More Bounce from Curtis Counce." The reissues are called "Landslide" and "Counciltation." I never really figured out why--other than perhaps "You Get More . . . " has THE cheesiest jacket of all time.

You Get More Bounce

I go away for a few days and up pops a jazz thread! I hate to miss stuff like this. The sparring between Paul and Allan is OK too. Sort of like commercials: Some good and some bad. Some funny and some not!

Anyway, heres my top 25. I tried to put them in order, based on the frequency of play that I give them and with no artist receiving more than one spot.

Song for My Father Horace Silver

Blue Train John Coltrane

Everybody Loves Hampton Hawes Hampton Hawes

Somethin Else Cannonball Adderley

True Blue Tina Brooks

The Blues and the Abstract Truth Oliver Nelson

Soul Stirrin Bennie Green

Open Sesame Freddie Hubbard

Smithville Louis Smith

Saxophone Colossus Sonny Rollins

Cliff Craft Cliff Jordan

Foremost Jimmy Smith

Groovin with Golson Benny Golson

Tender Feelins Duke Pearson

Art Pepper Today Art Pepper

The Magnificient Thad Jones

Landslide Curtis Counce

Harold in the Land of Jazz Harold Land

Empyrean Isles Herbie Hancock

The Sidewinder Lee Morgan

Cool Struttin Sony Clark

The Opener Curtis Fuller

Moanin Art Blakey

Leroy Walks Leroy Vinnegar

Davis Cup Walter Davis JR

• 7 years later...

...Anyway, here’s my top 25. I tried to put them in order, based on the frequency of play that I give them and with no artist receiving more than one spot.

Song for My Father – Horace Silver
Blue Train – John Coltrane
Everybody Loves Hampton Hawes – Hampton Hawes
Somethin’ Else – Cannonball Adderley
True Blue – Tina Brooks
The Blues and the Abstract Truth – Oliver Nelson
Soul Stirrin’ – Bennie Green
Open Sesame – Freddie Hubbard
Smithville – Louis Smith
Saxophone Colossus – Sonny Rollins
Cliff Craft – Cliff Jordan
Fourmost – Jimmy Smith
Groovin’ with Golson – Benny Golson
Tender Feelins’ – Duke Pearson
Art Pepper Today – Art Pepper
The Magnificient – Thad Jones
Landslide – Curtis Counce
Harold in the Land of Jazz – Harold Land
Empyrean Isles – Herbie Hancock
The Sidewinder – Lee Morgan
Cool Struttin’ – Sonny Clark
The Opener – Curtis Fuller
Moanin’ – Art Blakey
Leroy Walks – Leroy Vinnegar
Davis Cup – Walter Davis JR

Another golden oldie thread to dredge up from the depths of the forum's archives.

I'm currently going down this list, ordering the ones that I didn't already have (which is most of the titles), and I have to say that this has been one of the most delightful trips through Amazon's used disk marketplace that I've ever had.

Highly recommended titles to acquire here for those of us that know good music when they hear it...

I'd like to put some other titles on the list, but I have to say that until I've heard most of these, I'm going to keep my opinions on the subject of recommended jazz disks to myself.

Chris

Man, that was painful reading through all the bickering to get to the end.

Yea, I had the same problem reading all of it. It was definitely a "rough and ready" environment...too much so. But there were just too many good suggestions to pass up that were embedded in this thread.

Note that these selections are generally easy on the ears, e.g., I'm able to whistle the tune--at least compared to more avant-garde and experimental jazz of that 15 year period (i.e., ~1953-1968), for instance, Coltrane's noted masterpiece, "A Love Supreme" is not generally on the lists in this thread.

Most of the works are of the genre called "hard bop", but some titles diverge a bit from this. All in all, though, they are socially acceptable and fun to listen to.

I'm gonna have to pull out more of the jazz records I have not listened to.

Me too (the WAF is out this weekend, on short notice). [:D][<:o)][8]

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

But, nice resurrection of the thread at the end though.

Okay, I think that it's time to start adding to the list:

Thelonius Monk Quartet - Monk's Dream

61FJKAOKm9L.jpg

How could this recording not already be on the list?

Another one from Dizzy Gillespie's rhythm section:

fb3b225b9da08e3358d8f010.L.jpg

This is but one of many MJQ disks of notable enjoyment, perhaps one of the better known disks.

Chris