Best dvd to test your home theater

Klipsch Fanatic

My newest reference material is Open Range with Costner and Duval. The scenery is stunning and choice of DD or DTS sound, chapter 15 will give new meaning to the term "being there". This DVD was actually the one used by my local Klipsch dealer when I demo'd the RF 7's that I eventually purchased.

This thread has been started before, but I will chime in with my favs.

Master and Commander--The battle scenes will really give your horns and sub a workout. The creaking of the ship is almost freaky real.

For kids fare, The Incredibles is hard to beat.

For shear sub performance and air movement, try the depth charge scenes in U-571 (Be careful not to rattle your windows out of your living room... 9.gif

The battle scenes on all three LOTR movies are especially good. Get the extended editions. The 6.1 DTS ES track are amazing!

Spider Man 2 has a copy of one of the original theatrical trailers in DD. (Most trailers are not encoded in DD on a DVD.) For a quick show piece, show this trailer the surround processing and the music are incredible.

For short demo scene material. some of the best I have found.

Opening scene from Toy story 2. Its about 5 minutes of the some of the strongest bass, as good as it gets video quality and its funny as well.

There is an Anime movie called Kiaena I believe. Cristen Duntz and Richard Harris do voice overs on it. This movie has one of strongest best thought out and recorded openings for a surround system that i have ever heard. Fantastic!

House of the Flying Daggers. Check out the scene called echo game. The whole scene is almost all huge and tight drum hits. super powerful.

Also the movie Hero. Great surround sound.

Check out a movie called Baraka.

Beautiful imagery from around the world. The audio track is music only and the sounds from nature. Huge bass hits, the ocean shooting through a blow hole in the rocks, being inside a roaring waterfall all around, . there is a scene where a giant tree is cut

down. When it hits the ground, if your sub is up to the task, it will lift your couch.

Peace,

• Moderators

Just to throw in my2cents... DVD's I've seen demo'd here in the past (although it's been a while since I've been to one):

Saving Private Ryan

The Matrix

The Transporter

Finding Nemo

Drumline

Mission Impossible

Music DVDs:

The Eagles

Norah Jones

----------------

On 5/23/2005 1:29:47 PM tommiwan wrote:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lord of the Rings. I also watched part of Return of the King, and it sounded great.

----------------

I did mention Lord of the Rings in my reccomendations, I just used the abbreviation...LOTR.

9.gif

For the best music sonic quality on my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1's nothing in my collection beats one DVD I have.

Cirque Du Soleil - Dralion DVD

Anytime I want to show off my Klipsch speakers I put this DVD in.

I also have the audio CD but 5.1 is what I like!

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I recently dusted off the copy of Pearl Harbor that I own and what a pleasant surprise to be reminded how great this movie is. The visuals and sound are top notch and starting on chapter 20, this movie really gives the system a workout. Dolby Digital 5.1 capable or DTS makes it a great reference choice with plenty of low end rumble to shake the walls. After recently completing my theater I am re-discovering movies that I only thought sounded good on my older system.

Impossible to say. It's so opinionated, and some movies are better for specific sounds than others. I borrowed Private Ryan once, and while the beach scene was wicked any way you look at it. I thought the latter part of the movie when the tank rolls down the street was incredible. For rip your head off metal music Overkill's wrecking everything. Just about splits you into in the dts mode. I like the wind in the movie Signs when Mel Gibson is running through the corn field. Excellent surround one of the most realistic surround mixes I ever heard. Depending on who your demoing for. Certain friends I would throw in Claptons guitar festival. Let em hear the horns really shine. I like the sound of metal bending in T3 though I like T2 better. Visually the incredibles would be right up there. Good old Jurassic park has some wicked bass stomps where the bass just leaves a trail of decay. Although I am not a big fan of the newer star wars the pod race sounds awesome. I like hollow man in the beginning of the movie when they have the animals in the cages for animal testing. You can hear different animal sounds and racket coming out of every speaker. Truly shows the capabilities of discrete surround. Another is when the fly is buzzing around the room in that movie. I will have to check out Nic's suggestion on Appleseed sounds like a good one. I also like anime because of the art work, and constant surround sound. Anyways i think I wasted enough of your time.

----------------

On 5/24/2005 12:15:23 PM fmushkin wrote:

----------------

On 5/23/2005 2:26:45 PM Crankehh wrote:

...I want some home theatre stuff. Darn wedding taking up all my funds.
8.gif

----------------

Elope to Las Vegas, spend the savings on a complete 7.1 system. Klipsch RF-7, 61" Sammy DLP, the works. She'll understand.

----------------

Yeah....especially when 5 years down the road she'll be gone and you'll still have your Klipsches.2.gif1.gif

Tom

The Abyss

There's a fantastic scene (if you don't know the movie) where a diver in a dry suit with a helmet on is alone in a sunken submarine room. The shot shows him in the room alone where you get some nice sounds, but then it switches to inside his hemet to first person view as he starts to hyperventilate. In this shot all the speakers light up with his panic breathing. It's some good stuff.

For showing off visuals I usually go to Discovery HDTV.