Jolida CD player

mdbrien

Hi Mark,

I don't know the answer to your question as I'm wondering the same also. THAT said, I also don't know if the price you quote is for the stock unit or a modified unit.

If it's bone stock, send me a PM and I'll (Monday) research who it was, but I had a dealer tell me he sells them for $765 which includes delivery (stock units). He suggested to me that he was probably the lowest cost provider of them on the internet.

I don't have those notes here at home.

Richard

THe one I was truly impressed with had different tubes I think but was stock otherwise.

All of this super clock stuff for $ 400-600 in mods seems a bit extreme.

-minor EMI reduction mods

-basic power filtering

A little DIY in these 2 areas is a more logical investment.

----------------

On 5/22/2005 11:23:21 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

THe one I was truly impressed with had different tubes I think but was stock otherwise.

-basic power filtering

----------------

Some of the basic level one mods do not involve super clocks. For example, Underwood's mod installs upgraded resistors, caps, diodes & output jacks, and adds a sound coat layer. I could hear a justified difference for these modfications over the stock model, and it was worth it to me - but a new stock player at around $750 is a fantastic deal. It depends on where one's system is at as to whether a mod would be worth the bang for the buck.

My favorite tubes in the Jolida have been Mullard CV 4004s.

Carl.

Ah! Super Tjoeb 4000/upsampled

I chose this player over the Rega Planet 2000 and Jolida JD100. Very nice player for the price($1200 fully loaded) you would have to spend about $2000+ to really do much better. The Ah! Tjoeb uses the 6922 series tube in its output stage, and it upsamples to 24/192 using a very high quality upsampling board that is built by a Swiss company that makes components for some very high end stuff. I would describe the player as being very detailed but with just enough of the tube warmth so that its not bright, I think its the prefect balance of detail and punchyness vs smoothness and warmth. You wont be disapointed, just ake sure you use some nice tubes the player sounds kinda crappy with the stock JAN Philips 6922. Definitly try some Seimens 7308s or if your on a budget the Russian "rocket logo" 6h23, they really take the player to another level.

Just wanted to add that the Jolida does beet the Ah! tjoeb in build quality. Since the Ah! Tjoeb is built around the Maratz cd4000 the case is rather cheap, but its what inside that counts and I think the Ah! Tjoeb has a slight edge in sound quality and also offers an upsampling option which the Jolida does not. I believe the Jolida goes for $900 and the Ah! pricing is as follows

Ah! Tjoeb 4000 $749

Ah! Super Tjoeb 4000 $899 (includes AC Direkt power cable, Tjoeb shoes isolation feet, Demat disk stabalizer)

24/192 upsampler board optional $349 (user installable at anytime)

A fully loaded the Ah! Super Tjoeb 4000/upsampled would cost you $1249 but it includes an upgraded power cable, upgraded isolation feet, 24/192 upsampling and the Demat disk mat. So the loaded Ah! Super Tjoeb is more money, but if you added an upgraded power cable and isolation feet to the Jolidas price your about even and the Jolida doesnt have upsampling. So the Ah! Tjoeb may actually be a better deal for the price. Check out Upscaleaudio.com for more info on the Ah! Tjoeb.

----------------

On 5/22/2005 11:23:21 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

-basic power filtering

----------------

The stock unit he heard with different tubes was mine. I replaced the stock tubes with a pair of 12AX7 RTF Cyro Tubes. They are ruggedized tubes from E. Germany. Very smooth allowing the unit to provide extremely nice detail in its reproduction of music. For me the tubes are very affordable at $ 69.95 per matched pair.

As was said my Jolida CD is stock, so I can't comment on any added advantages for modifications. Can only say my stock unit exceeds my expectations, especially given I only paid $700.00 for it new.

Wish you the best in your search.

Wes

----------------

On 5/23/2005 4:54:27 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

just how do you "cryo" a tube ...without it imploding ...???

further .. what could be the benefits of "cryo'd" glass, as it's insides ain't gonna touch nothin' 'till the envelope implodes ...

----------------

Wasn't the "Cryo" verbage that attracted me to the tube. It was this description:
"Very low microphonics due to it's rugged construction. Not an overly warm sounding tube,very smooth, and detailed."
That was the sonic characteristics I was looking for to mate with the Jolida CD. After many emails and a final guarantee for full refund, I ordered and have no regrets with the tubes.

If you desire, the link below will take you to
ATSI Advantage's page which has a definition of their Cyro Tube Process. I'm sure they would address any questions or criticisms you care to submit.

Wes