This is too funny...

Mike Lindsey

I was out on audioreview.com reading the feddback on the KLF-30's when I came upon this:

Strengths: Overall, the sound is good at lower levels.

Weaknesses: Harsh sound when using higher sound levels, like for movies.

Similar Products Used: Bose 701, Klipsch KSP-S6, Boston VR 975.

Price Paid: $1575

Purchased At: Local A/V dealer

Review Summary: I bought three sets of speakers: Bose 701 ($849.00, Best Buy), Klipsch KLF 30 Towers ($1575.00 local), and the Boston VR 975 ($1550.00 local). For the rear, I bought a pair of Bose Double Cube Speakers (red line, new, off e-bay, $215.00) and the Klipsch KSP-S6 surrounds ($500.00 local dealer). I decided to try each with my system: Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX, Pioneer DV626D (DVD-CD), Boston VR-12 center channel, and the Pioneer SW-200 subwoofer. I tried each with every possible pairing of the speakers both with and without the separate subwoofer. Without question, the best sounds for DVDs and CD's were from the Bose 701 speakers and the Bose Double Cube speakers in the rear.

Since I had all of these products I ask some of my friends to listen. Many of my friends are audiophiles. They, like many people who write on this forum, hate Bose. I wanted their option, but I didnt want it biased by product lines. So, we did blind tests (i.e., each could not see what speakers were playing and rated the combinations for me). I had five of my friends do this and we had so much fun that each brought five additional people to do the sound test. The movies used were U-571 and Matrix. CDs were Creed, Cher, and Classical Hits, 2000, Varity Bach. The receiver was set on large speakers for front, large for center, and small for rear-Bose, small and large for Klipsch, and cutoff at 80 Hz for the subwoofer.

The winning combination, using my receiver, DVD/CD player, subwoofer, and center speaker, was the Bose 701 with the Bose cube speakers. 23 out of 25 people picked the Bose combination. 25 out of 25 picked the Bose double cubes for the rear. Isnt that something? When people couldnt see what speakers were playing, mostly all picked Bose. People swore they were picking either the Bostons or the Klipschs, depending on what they thought was the best product, and in most cases, the Bose 701 with the Bose Double Cubes were picked. The other surprising result was that the Pioneer SW-200 was picked easy over the Bostons with the built in subwoofers given every possible combination. The pioneer was picked as cleaner and deeper bass.

This was a fun weekend for all of us. However, in the end, I took the Bostons and Klipschs back. I got in writing that each were returnable before I did this (the Bose Double Cubes were going in the den if I didnt like them as the rear speakers). It appears that a better manner to determine what speakers you actually like and do not like is to make sure you cant see what speakers are being used. Your ears and not your eyes judge.

I do love the sound I get from the 701s. The Double Cubes in the rear are awesome. With the subwoofer, the bass is super clear (but it is good without too), the highs are clean and not annoying (the Klipsch were harsh), and the middle was pleasant.

You cant go wrong with these speakers and they dont cost an arm and a leg to own them (they sell for around $535.00 average on E-Bay or $850.00 new). The sound is so good youll turn them on just to listen to them. This was a fun experiment and my buddies, and their friends, still cant believe they picked Bose. I had fun and am very happy with my system. Get the Bose 701s, they hold up to speakers costing twice as much.

Suffice it to say, this guy gave the KLF-30's a 1 star rating. I think I'm gonna rush right out and pick me up some 701's... Smile.gif

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (mains)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center)

Klipsch RS-3's (surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Heresy's

I personally think that the whole KLF line sounds "tinny". I tried them out at a local dealer with different amps, CD players and receivers and thought they sounded TERRIBLE! They are WAY to "tinny" and not enough deep end. The only Klipsch line I would ever consider buying is either the HEritage line or the Promedias - they rock!

------------------

wired1@ameritech.net

loud & harsh/bright are 2 different things but imho many seem to hear loud as bright, especially when compared to less loud speaks, i.e., those less efficient like blose.

i don't think my 30s are too bright, but maybe my high freq hearing is burnt from all those concerts & loud listening. maybe shoulda used the cigarette filters in the ears trick Biggrin.gif

"My friends all drive Bose, I must make amends,

oh lord won't sha buy me a Pie-neer receiver"

all my friends do buy Bose - they love the small size and think they are so cute for making music

I have speakers that I bought used for as little as $10 that can do as well as most Bose ...

I have a 40 year Blaupunkt el34 tube monophonic radio that makes music just as well...

oh well (big sigh)

------------------

big old horns, tube amps, tube pre-amp, British CD player, two subs, double wire, pipe insulation, paving stones, rubber mats & curtains

• 2 weeks later...

TINNY??? step into MY theater room (still w/out subwoofer) and i guarantee my klf-30's WILL DRY YOUR HAIR/PUNCH YOUR GUT!! we just got in the 701's...they are basically a 201 w/ 1-301 size woofer powered by a built-in amp...and 'cubes'-over my beloved ksps-6's...oh well, there is some satisfaction in knowing what I'M listening to when I go home. avman.

p.s.: you won't believe how many people go from bad to worse by setting their bass management (speaker size setting) to small/micro w/bose cubes-they should be set to large so the bass signal goes into the bass module (subwoofer wannabe)

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

LOL LOL and LOL

Always remember that AudioReview is as full of stink as a public toilet.So many clowns who dont own and will probably never be able to save the green bash good products and mass market trash gets five star reviews! LOL

No serious person can trust the lies and hype on this "review site".The intention was good,but too many would be comedians gather there and post complete nonsense.

Any Bo$e review with a good score was hatched by a nervous Bo$e owner or a Bo$e sales rep.Any review that claims Krell amps are anything but great was posted by an angry Top Ramen feeder who hates Krell because it way superior to his SesameStreet amp that cant even drive a 2 ohms load! LOL

You even have utter brain dead insects who dare bark Dynaudio and ScanSpeak tweeters are harsh!Talk about total ignorance and lack of common sense.

What most should realise is YOU NEED A GOOD AMP TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF GOOD SPEAKERS.Some know all(who know very very...next to nothing)say good speakers should sound great with all amps.I say to these ignorants WRONG Great speakers are accurate and reproduce the signal they get,if the signal is distorted,poor damping in the lower spectrum the sound will suffer.

You dont match GOLD and SILVER with poop,or do you?

If I hurt some this means only one thing,TRUTH HURTS!

And before I end this spicy rant let me say this to compare Klipsch to Bo$e is insulting the founder of Klipsch and all Klipsch speaker owners around the world.Plain and simple.

Nobody will tell ME Bo$e is even a speaker!Bo$e is a weapon,weapon against music and that makes Mozart sound like a subway drunkard playing on a Goofy guitar.

TheEAR(s) Now theears