Need Expert Knowlege on pricing vintage Klipsch Speakers

mpm3710

I have inherited Klipsch Cornwall CWO 015 Speakers from my father-in-law that died. I have no clue what they are worth. They are in mint condition. However they are too big for my room. I have a buyer for the speakers but do not know what to ask for? Would any Klipsch Speaker System expert especially in the classic speakers have a clue as to what to ask for them? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

If they have C WO 15 on the back they are older ones! The S/N on the line right below what you posted will allow us to date them for you. If the S/N's are not readable they are also stamped into the back edge of the cabinet.

Anyway you have a pair of Walnut Oil Klipsch Cornwalls the $600 - $1000 price range is about right depending on age and condition of course.

Would love to know the S/N's and a photo would be even better. I am thinking you have a pair of vertical Cornwalls on your hands.

The serial number on the back is: 3A29. Manufactured in Hope, AR. Does that help? I can't take pics of the speakers until we move into our new house that we are building which should be completed by June 27. The speakers are in storage and I do not have access to them at the moment. But they are in mint condition to the eye and the cabinets looked to me as Oak. Thanks for the reply.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 12:58:07 PM mpm3710 wrote:

The serial number on the back is: 3A29. Manufactured in Hope, AR. Does that help? I can't take pics of the speakers until we move into our new house that we are building which should be completed by June 27. The speakers are in storage and I do not have access to them at the moment. But they are in mint condition to the eye and the cabinets looked to me as Oak. Thanks for the reply.

----------------

They are actually in Oiled Walnut (CWO = Cornwall Walnut Oiled) and date from 1962 (the "A" in the serial number refers to 62). Walnut is a nice finish... and prices quoted above are in the right range.

You should give them a listen before selling them though... to see what you are missing... 2.gif

Rob

OMG! I would love to have those! The S/N's on my '62's are 3A26 & 3A27 so those were made right after mine were. 43 years young! They are Walnut Oil though and not Oak since the WO in the title stands for Walnut Oil.

Those are going to have the K-33J, K-55V and the chrome throat K-77 tweeters in them. I just had my '62's refinished.

I see that you are in Seattle though! Damn! I would have to be on the other side of the country from you.

My brother in law Gilbert will buy those from you! Let me contact him! I am certain that he will be contacting you very soon about those.

To answer your question... in terms of $$?? A low of 500 realistically 700, to a high end price of 1,200- 1,400. Look at past sales on Ebay or on Audiogon, they will fit in this range I will say a lot of good quality Cornwalls usually go for say 800- 1,000 dollars, more so than at the extreems. Better cabinets, all working drivers, x overs all stock Klipsch of course plus any info you have, goes a long way.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I always thought walnut was darker, but I am not a wood expert either. The question is are there any guidelines to pricing them? Say if there are no scratches but the speaker cloth on one of the speakers has some unnoticable discoloration and some water marks on the corner of the wood, but again is unoticeable not even an 1/8th of an inch. The speaker cloth is a light gold tweed and discloration blends so you can hardly tell. The water marks were from a drink spilled on the floor and ran over to the speaker and not noticed until the next day. But no damage was done to the wood itself.

If the flaws detract from the looks in some way and the speakers need to be reworked a little it will certainly influence the purchase price. That 43 year old cane grill cloth is irreplaceable because it is not made anymore.

Walnut will get lighter if the wood has not been oiled in awhile or has been exposed to sunlight sometime in the speakers past.

----------------

On 5/28/2005 7:03:54 PM mpm3710 wrote:

I have inherited Klipsch Cornwall CWO 015 Speakers from my father-in-law that died. I have no clue what they are worth. They are in mint condition. However they are too big for my room. I have a buyer for the speakers but do not know what to ask for? Would any Klipsch Speaker System expert especially in the classic speakers have a clue as to what to ask for them?

----------------

MPM3710......You have mail.

Because you sound like an expert. Are the Cornwalls considered to be Klipsch horns? Or do the Cornwalls don't have the horn technology? As you can see I need to be educated so that I will know something when it comes to dickering price.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 2:48:26 PM mpm3710 wrote:

Because you sound like an expert. Are the Cornwalls considered to be Klipsch horns? Or do the Cornwalls don't have the horn technology? As you can see I need to be educated so that I will know something when it comes to dickering price.

----------------

Not sure I understand your question.... but I'll give it a shot, yes, the Cornwalls have the K55 horn for the mid-range frequencies.

Further, it has been my understanding that the Klipsch horn, as I understand you to mean it, is the speaker commonly refered to as the Klipschorn. That particular heritage line is still manufactured today, and is significantly more expensive. Cornwalls were discontinued in 1990.

Hope that helps.