Diy Parts kit

spaaaz

Ok I am thinking about building a diy amp and am looking for advice from some veterans,not really looking for a complete kit as I have been down that road several times and want to try something different,it would be nice to find a complete parts kit and them build up the chassis to my liking,any good sourses for what I am wanting to do,could be low powered set or maybe a easy pp amp with good iron.let me know your thoughts on what you have built,seen a amp schematic from wavelength that uses an av-8 as well as the horus and a few others floating around,let me know guyz

Welborne offers DRD kits in a "nude" form, without the chassis. http://www.welbornelabs.com/drd.htm

Also, our own JF Lessard has a DIY plan out for a PP 2A3 amp that has garnered some very positive remarks, as we'd expect. Jeff doesn't package the parts himself, but I don't see that as a big sticking point. http://www.magnequest.com/diy_lessard_2a3pp.htm

Guest Anonymous

Bottlehead, Bent Audio, Transcendent Sound, Audio Electronic Supply. These are the absolute best DIY kits that I have ever found. I have personal expierence with building a Bent Audio product with John Chapman, and Transcendent Sound with Bruce Rozenblitz. I also have customer service expierence with Audio Electronic supply. I can say that out of the those three I like Bent Audio products the best and Audio Electronic Supplies service just rocks. Transcendent Sounds service blows, but their products do not get any better for the money. Hands down the OTL amp kit is just amazing.

Good Luck

George

----------------

On 5/30/2005 2:38:04 AM Gramas701 wrote:

Hands down the OTL amp kit is just amazing.

----------------

George,

I visited the Transcendent Sound site, but I give up. What does the acronym OTL stand for?

The amps have no output transformer, so I assume OTL refers to that design feature. My guess is Output TransformerLess, but I still don't understand the acronym.

Two other:

http://www.diytube.com

Makes front end board for Dynaco ST-70, or you could build you own EL34 amp from scratch with it. Also has a board to make an ST-35 clone, based on an EL84 tube. It is a really nice moard. He makes a board for monoblock EL-34s too, called the Eiclone.

Or you can have a look at:

http://www.tubes4hifi.com

----------------

On 5/30/2005 7:20:55 AM DizRotus wrote:

... The amps have no output transformer, so I assume OTL refers to that design feature. My guess is
O
utput
T
ransformer
L
ess, but I still don't understand the acronym.

----------------

You are correct. I don't understand what you still don't understand.

----------------

On 5/30/2005 12:18:22 AM spaaaz wrote:

Ok I am thinking about building a diy amp and am looking for advice from some veterans,not really looking for a complete kit as I have been down that road several times and want to try something different,it would be nice to find a complete parts kit and them build up the chassis to my liking,any good sourses for what I am wanting to do,could be low powered set or maybe a easy pp amp with good iron.let me know your thoughts on what you have built,seen a amp schematic from wavelength that uses an av-8 as well as the horus and a few others floating around,let me know guyz

----------------

The Seth was mentionned. I think it could be an interesting alternative (at the very least for me as I sell the irons...).

It's not a kit in the true sense as there are no chassis and parts. I can supply a part list to be ordered at Parts Connexion though if it can be useful for you.

The Seth is actually a "scalable" design that can give either a class A 2A3 PP amp for a whooping 7W or a class A 300B for a beefier 20W.

The catch is that you'll need a low impedance preamp (600 ohms or less) to get the most of it.

Guest Anonymous

Well you are correct. I personally think that if you think about it, you'll understand. Anyways, good luck!

Best,

George

Pick your favorite schematic off the net, then scrounge up the iron and the parts.

A guy can write up a "complete parts kit" list, from a ripped off schematic.

The EL-84 PP PCB based idea would seem like a budget way to go possibly......aviods PTP soldering somewhat.

Sourcing parts piece by piece can get expensive depending how deep in quality factor you want to get.

Guest Anonymous

Mike-

That idea is ok if you know where to look and what you are doing, but most people here would not know eactly what transformers match etc, because schematics don't often include all of the information that you need and a person must be able to infer the right parts based on the values of other parts in the circuits. From what I have already heard from spazz, I would probably think that going that route is probably not something he is interested in doing. It is a very boring task, unless you just buy the first thing you see. Anyways that is ust my 2 cents.

Best,

George

spaaaz,

Here is my latest project. I bought a pair of Dynaco Mark IIIs for the transormers and started with a blank sheet. In this case a 12x24" sheet of 1/8" brass. I have been buying this and that as my plans evolve. Made a cap PC board (a first). I got a pair of tubes4hifi front end boards and made some parts mods like Cradock plate resistors etc.

For the chassis, I spent weeks looking for the "perfect" black walnut boards, I am after the "look".)

I have been taking my time, no deadlines here. It's a fun process.

This is a trial mock-up of the drilled chassis, I left it on the table for a week or more just admiring it.1.gif

MonsterMarkIII1.jpg

Total cost I figure will be about $900.

Rick

post-12829-13819266244898_thumb.jpg