Anyone Have Moondance On Super Disk?

garymd

I finally found a copy that's vitually perfect. Having always been dissappointed with the LP which is famous for being a pretty lousy recording, I've been itching to get a copy from Direct Disk Labs which I've always read is the best recording available. I believe it's pretty similiar to the way as MFSLs are recorded (half-speed, etc.)

I got home, cleaned it and took it for a spin. Man oh man! I now have a new "show off the system" LP. I've listened to this album a thousand times in my life and NEVER heard it like this! Spectacular!!!! When that foghorn whistle blows, it REALLY blows! For those who love this LP as much as I do, hunt one of these copies down. You won't regret it.1.gif

----------------

On 6/1/2005 7:21:28 PM paul cbc wrote:

Gary,

How much better than the Green label Warner pressing?
6.gif

paul
2.gif

----------------

Paul,

Much, much better. Amazingly better actually. I have 1 copy of the green label in decent condition and 1 tree lined street scene Warner label which really sucks. Still, both are good enough that you can tell the difference.

I too had been on the mission to try and find the best vinyl version of Moondance and have the Direct Disk version as well. I bought mine from a record store in Boston (on line) for 30 dollars. I have to go back and give it a listen as I my first impressions were not quite as positive as Garys. But that may have been an expectaion issue or maybe just tired ears at the time. Thanks for reminder to try it again!

BTW I believe Neil Diamond had a hit cover of Into the Mystic ( no im not recommending that version!)

Also Vans "Magic Time" was just released on 180 gram vinyl. It's a very solid record a number of great classic Van cuts and it's recorded wonderfully!

josh

While we are on the subject of Van Morrison...

His most underated record IMO is Astral Weeks, in fact its one of my top 5 favorite records of all time. If you havent heard this give it a go. Lots of people think that Van starts with Moondance. Some of his earlier stuff is quite inventive and phenomonal. I still have a few records (great pressings btw) that i bought in London in 1970 from his after "Them" before" solo stardom" phase that are terrific.

Josh

The dccblowout fellow squeezes every cent he can from a record. If you search enough, you'll find one much cheaper.

I've always been partial to "Poetic Champions Compose" and "Irish Heartbeat."

Someone should buy this CD who doesn't have it. It's covers of Van's songs, produced by Van. Some knockout versions, particularly by Sinead O'Connor and Cassandra Wilson and Elvis Costello.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4734127837&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

----------------

On 6/2/2005 11:57:40 AM joshnich wrote:

While we are on the subject of Van Morrison...

His most underated record IMO is Astral Weeks, in fact its one of my top 5 favorite records of all time. If you havent heard this give it a go. Lots of people think that Van starts with Moondance. Some of his earlier stuff is quite inventive and phenomonal. I still have a few records (great pressings btw) that i bought in London in 1970 from his after "Them" before" solo stardom" phase that are terrific.

Josh

----------------

Astral Weeks is also my favorite by VM... listening to it is like entering a dream.

You will find that it appears on a lot of critics' Top Ten lists, at least the critics whose opinions are worthwhile 1.gif

I LOVE Astral Weeks! Great record!

I got the Moondance SD on ebay for about $50. It's as close to perfect as any LP I own. I actually played side one twice last night just to make sure I wasn't over-reacting. Extremely quiet. He said it looked unplayed (which it did) but who knows. The seller stated "not MFSL" in his item description and I guess the folks at Mobile Fidelity didn't like that because the auction was pulled. We still made the deal however but you won't see it on ebay's completed items. It's the first and only Super Disk I own but makes me want to try some others. I was scoping out Blood Sweat & Tears self-titled album. The original recording is great so I'm curious how the SD will sound.

I looked through the rest of the Super Disks on ebay but found no other copies of Moondance for sale.

Hey Gary,

Pulled out the Super Disk of Moondance and I have to say it is very nice. As I said before, i really only gave it cursory listen the first time around. The other pressings/recordings have always sounded muzzled. This is clear and dynamic. Almost Like I am hearing him at the Inn of the Beginning. ( a reference for fini)

Josh