O/T... Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

m00n

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah...

Intel needs this. The 64-bit AMD Opteron chips are eating Intel's corporate server chips (Xeon and Itanium) for lunch.

While many of the big OEMs (read: Dell) are still holding onto Intel, many (HP, etc.) are now shipping AMD-equipped servers. Intel's corporate server market share is dropping about as fast as the use of Internet Explorer.

I am not surprised Apple went with Intel chips, rather than AMD, considering the relationship between Microsoft and Intel, and the huge piece of Apple that microsoft owns.

----------------

On 6/3/2005 9:53:48 PM meuge wrote:

Blah...

Intel needs this. The 64-bit AMD Opteron chips are eating Intel's corporate server chips (Xeon and Itanium) for lunch.

While many of the big OEMs (read: Dell) are still holding onto Intel, many (HP, etc.) are now shipping AMD-equipped servers. Intel's corporate server market share is dropping about as fast as the use of Internet Explorer.

I am not surprised Apple went with Intel chips, rather than AMD, considering the relationship between Microsoft and Intel, and the huge piece of Apple that microsoft owns.

----------------

meuge, I'm not in our sales and marketing department that tracks that kind of stat data so I can't with confidence dispute your claims. Regardless of your feelings, this is a very cool win for Intel.2.gif

----------------

On 6/3/2005 10:02:36 PM m00n wrote:

meuge, I'm not in our sales and marketing department that tracks that kind of stat data so I can't with confidence dispute your claims. Regardless of your feelings, this is a very cool win for Intel.
2.gif

----------------

Don't get me wrong, I am not an AMD fanboy, and I am not against Intel. I have a P4 and a P3 running myself. All I really want is for there to be 2 or more huge chip giants competing with each other, thus making higher quality products for less, for the consumers (like me).

Ever since Intel's marketshare rose over 75%, I've been wary that it might turn into another Microsoft.

----------------

On 6/3/2005 10:18:12 PM meuge wrote:

----------------

On 6/3/2005 10:02:36 PM m00n wrote:

meuge, I'm not in our sales and marketing department that tracks that kind of stat data so I can't with confidence dispute your claims. Regardless of your feelings, this is a very cool win for Intel.
2.gif

----------------

Don't get me wrong, I am not an AMD fanboy, and I am not against Intel. I have a P4 and a P3 running myself. All I really want is for there to be 2 or more huge chip giants competing with each other, thus making higher quality products for less, for the consumers (like me).

Ever since Intel's marketshare rose over 75%, I've been wary that it might turn into another Microsoft.

----------------

I see that. But you have to admit that AMD did a good job of driving prices down some 5 years ago. My stock options prove it. 14.gif

I have been a computer technician for several years. In my experience I have seen no real differences between AMD and Intel in terms of reliability and software compatability.AMD has consistently produced processors that outperform equivalent Intel processors but that gap has narrowed in the last few years.

FWIW I no longer consider the chipmaker ( Intel vs. AMD ) when choosing/recommending hardware to my clients.I focus on the configuration and price of the equipment rather than the chipmaker.That said AMD processors generally outperform Intel processors at the same price point but as noted above the performance gap is not nearly as wide as it used to be.

Can I ask a ?I've never owned anything but pentium processors,I've also never had a computer that did'nt drive me kinda nutty from time to time.I always spent about 2k every couple years on HP's,Sony's etc.I recently finished out another room,part office,part HT,part music room.I decided to get another computer so I could access the internet from this room.I just wanted internet access so I was looking for a cheap setup that could also burn dvd's.I bought an Emachine for 400 bucks with a celeron 340 d,this cheapo can outperform anything I've ever owned.It burns dvds in 20 minutes compared to at least an hour on my p4 Sony.It does everything better/faster and has zero conflicts w/any software I have used.

Anywho,back to the ?,why would this 340 d smoke any pentium I've ever owned?

Fish I recently purchased a computer from scratch. I mean from scratch. It could be the hardrive is better. Quite possibly it has a better read/ write capabilities than your other hardrives. The hardrive would probally make a big difference in what your doing. Does it have more Ram? I upped my ram to a gig from 250 it didn't do squat for me when it comes to surfing the net (diul up). I think my hardrive really speeded up windows operation when it turns on. I gets like 3 swipes across and shes up and running. I'm betting the hardrive not sure though.

Fish, there are lots of factors involved one of which very well could be the hard drive. Faster hard drives will read and write faster. Mechanical devices such as the hard drive and CD/DVD rom is the slowest thing on your PC.

As wheelie mentioned, how much RAM were in your PCs? What were the other processors? Is the celeron over clocked? How bloated with junk was your OS? Keep piling on lots and lots and lots of crapola onto your PC eventually it may start to slow down depending on what you're installing.

if you are doing lots of image and video editing, the more RAM the better for those types of apps. RAM is dirt cheap these days. What kind of mother boards did you have? Did you install any specific motherboard drivers? did you upgrade the bios...

Lots and lots of factors involved. 1.gif

Wheel,believe it or not this punky 340 d/w 80 gig hd/256/512 smokes my p4 w/160 gig hd w/1gig/512.This is the one of the few times I saved money and got much better performance,Klipsch not withstanding 2.gif.

m00n,I hear you on the variables.This comparison is done with the Sony after doing full system recovery and the Emachine out of the box.The dvd drive is a good explanation but the endless conflicts and crazy quirks I've had w/p4s has left me hating all computers until the 340d,it works like I always thought a computer should,without headaches.My wife wants me to get the high dollar pc. of junk out the den and put the Emachine in for her.

Are you SURE it was the processor and not the various other components that Sony put in their pc what caused the quarky behavior?

Also what is the processor speed of your sony? how much ram? what was the front side bus speed? What are those for the emachine?

m00n,I'm sure you're right about Sony and all the crap they got on the computer although I delete all the junk I know I don't need.But I 've had these same type problems w/HP(I've owned several).Now that you mention it the Emachine came w/bare bones crap in it and maybe thats why it works so well.I just thought it was curious that I've always had all kinds of crazy computer problems and after spending 1/4 of the price I now have none and better performance too.

Here is a good question. What os? I had windows me and it was always cracking up. I got window xp pro and never looked back. First thing that happened when buying my new computer. I bought a power supply that was to weak. Apparently 350 wasn't enough for my video card and dvd drive. It would just shut right down. I upped the power to 550 and it's much smoother ( doesn't shut down now). Much like hi fi. I will probally end up getting an even better one. The one I do have is a generic one. I am sure it's over rated like a generic receiver.

I remember the first time there were rumours that Apple was considering AMD (x86) chips... which they quickly denied. ;) This time is looks like the real McCoy.

Any idea if the chips supplied will be pure x86 and if the OSX port will run on any x86 machine? I don't mind Intel or AMD or PowerPC (we have some of each) but I would enjoy having a serious OS choice.

Linux just isn't ready for primetime... and I use Microsloth not really by "choice"...

Rob

----------------

On 6/4/2005 12:54:13 AM formica wrote:

I remember the first time there were rumours that Apple was considering AMD (x86) chips... which they quickly denied.
;)
This time is looks like the real McCoy.

Any idea if the chips supplied will be pure x86 and if the OSX port will run on any x86 machine? I don't mind Intel or AMD or PowerPC (we have some of each) but I would enjoy having a serious OS choice.

Linux just isn't ready for primetime... and I use Microsloth not really by "choice"...

Rob

----------------

Rob honestly you know as much as I know about this. It came as a suprise to me. I suppose I will get some kind of inside scoop come next week on our local intranet. If it's shareable info I will share it.

whats apple 2% or 3% of the pc market,ipod inventorys are backing up to 5 or 6 weeks, but thats no big deal slow season, an they settled their bad battery suit,with some cash, a spit in the bucket to apple, they do have alot! of cash, an $50 dollar certificates , that will be spent on higher priced apple items than 50 bucks ,but the storys are allready in the price of the stock, the big money-dumping apple on wallstreet, buy the rumour sell the news, apple went parabolic about a year an half ago from $10 bucks up to around $40 on the split price ,this chart tells the story ,an is pre split http://www.decisionpoint.com/ChartSpotliteFiles/050218_AAPL.html as always invest at your owen risk .an all that standard disclaimer stuff