New hornloading testing underway at Klipsch

Tom Adams

It took some digging, but I found out what them boys at Klipsch have been testing. Now mind you, my inside sources tell me that this IS NOT the finished product but merely a kluged together testing rig. Obviously the stylists and packaging designers haven't settled on a final configuration. It looks interesting, but I'm not sure it'll replace my Heritage stuff. For those of you who are going to the Pilgrimage and to the folks at Klipsch, I apologize for spoiling the surprise. But my hand was forced and I felt compelled to help out my fellow forum members who cannot make the trip. Personally, I'm glad I won't be there to hear this thing in action. Enjoy.

Hornloaded.jpg

Tom

Biological drivers for horn have been used before. The military was the first to experiment with them. Typically they are used an assertive psychological siege weapon, not a destructive device. The first recoded implementation was by a General Joshua at the siege of Jericho, in the Bible. Biological drivers have both strengths and weakness.

First, they are incredibly energy efficient, on the same order as bicycles and jet engines. The output is very close to the energy consumed. However, biological drivers have all the frailty of their human hosts. They tire quickly, only work part of the time, require regular scheduled downtime, have a high mean time between failures, replacements are erratic and costly. Even an expensive machine is more reliable and will pay for itself after a few years. A biological driver will continue to require financial and energy support, along with an ergonomically, economically and environment-friendly surroundings.

Finally, biological drivers can degrade the lens. Their prodigious, though brief, output can include biological mucous elements designed to lubricate the passageways of the driver. This mucous element not only decreases performance of the horn, but can eventually present a load to large for the biological driver to over come. The mucous element will have to be cleaned periodically from the lens. Left unattended, the mucous elements build up, degrading performance, stressing the biological driver and deteriorating the lens.

All in all, a mechanical driver is preferred in the consumer marketplace. Even the military, with the exception of the Chinese, who are experimenting with a million driver line horn array along a certain wall facing Russia, have abandoned the idea of the biological driver as a assertive weapon.

10.gif

----------------

On 6/6/2005 7:10:50 PM fini wrote:

What is that protruding from the JBL 2404H's?

That guy looks like a cheerleader for a s#i++y football team...

----------------

Fini that is the compression driver. Hopefully that sound wave won't expand/accelerate to its full potential.

Am I the only one that every time I see this photo I think of the Peter Seller's line from the Pink Panther movie? You know, the one where he's standing there in a pirate disguise with an inflatable parrot on his shoulder and as the parrot flies off, Inspector Cluseau (sp?) says,

"Thar she blows!"

LOL

Tom

The present application MIGHT make it a more efficient transfer to atmospheric pressure, but to adequately convert it to JET propulsion which would presumably be the purpose of vehicle mounting, the horn must be inserted the wide-end first.

DM