AL3's for La Scalas

yer killing me as usual Roger, Mine ALL have metal horns and the dreaded AL networks.

So if ya don't mind in the same thread, what are the options for an AL man, update to AL3 design (if it's the ultimate) or ???

I didn't mind doing the rope caulk thing- just took up a bunch of afternoons. Kind of bonded me to my LS in a kinky kind of way!

Michael

Well kinda a Demmi Moore thing I am sure.... hahahaha

I do not know Mike..Thats why I am asking what people have in their La Scalas and what they did or did not do.

Been thinking about doubling up on the Center channel too, I will let you know. I have one extra, hate to just not use it for anything... hehehehehe

Insulation people here in 4 hrs 15 min....

Everything is pretty much cleaned out.. oh my back!!

Roger

jeepers Bob, its HUGE! THose are still the PIO type caps on the left, correct? But they're modern ones, so bascially you're sticking to your 'original' design philosophy on this as well?

How would this new xover of yours compare price wise with rebuilding an AL (probably a daunting task)?

On my AL's it just looks like it's too complicated compared to every other Klipsch network I've ever seen. Do you know the reason for this?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,

I'd go with ALK's. I upgraded my La Scala's from AL's to ALK universal A networks and wow what a difference. Much smoother and infinitely more detailed than before. The bass is also a little more pronounced. I cannot recommend Al's networks enough. Now if money is no object and you realy want the Holy Grail get his ES networks but Universal A's are worth every penny. He sells them in kits, fully built or you can download the instructions and build them yourself.

R/Jim

----------------

On 6/7/2005 9:14:44 AM J.4knee wrote:

you realy want the Holy Grail get his ES networks

R/Jim

----------------

I'm tickled to hear that as I just sent Al a check yesterday for a pair of ES networks.

Gonna have to hide them from the wife though, she'll neverrrrrrrr understand

10.gif11.gif

The AL-3 is a network worth keeping. I did an A/B with them and the ALK for some people a couple of years ago. The opinion was that the AL-3 wasn't worth changing.

If you have the AL or AL-2 then I would change to the ALK, or the AA that John Warren builds. I've had both. I sold the ALK's and still have a pair of J.W's AA.

I've got AL-3 networks in my two pairs of La Scalas. Although I've never heard an ALK equipped La Scala, I must say that I've got no real complaints about my AL-3s. And people who hear them are always, always blown away.

As am I, quite frankly - lol.

-H2G

----------------

On 6/7/2005 8:08:33 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

jeepers Bob, its HUGE! THose are still the PIO type caps on the left, correct? But they're modern ones, so bascially you're sticking to your 'original' design philosophy on this as well?

How would this new xover of yours compare price wise with rebuilding an AL (probably a daunting task)?

On my AL's it just looks like it's too complicated compared to every other Klipsch network I've ever seen. Do you know the reason for this?

Thanks,

Michael

----------------

Rebuilding the ALs would be possible and economical, but they would still be ALs. Turning them into AL-3s would also be possible, but would require so many part changes that it might not be a reasonable thing to do. I also think the AL had more than one incarnation before it became the AL-2.

I like the sound of the AL-3 which I have in my 1990 Lascalas. I think they got that one pretty much right after a few tries in the AL and AL-2. The AL-3 and AK-3 are also almost identical.

The caps I use are GE Poly in oil cans that I use in all my other crossovers. Definately not paper in oil which I am not fond of.

Bob

"I think they got that one pretty much right after a few tries in the AL and AL-2."

They should have got it right on the first try.

Nice job on that AK/AL-3 Bob, looks like a pain in the rear to build. It also looks like you had UT wind some new inductors. Those values are same in the AK-4, it's nice to know I can get them if I ever decide to build it.:) The layout for the tweeter inductors is interesting. Since you decided to go with it I guess that means you didn't run into any problems with mutual inductance. The inductor placement right next the 3636 bugs me a little, but it ain't my network! :)

I've never heard the AK-3 or AL-3, so I don't have any opinion on them as far as sound goes. I do think it's interesting how with each incarnation of the AK, squawker attenuation is increased, and the order of filter used for the tweeter section goes up.

I still don't get the two 2uF caps strung together like that. In the AA at least, I think it sounds better with the second cap changed to either a 4uF or a 7uF.

Dean,

It is a pretty busy crossover. I, of course, used an inductance meter to work out the placement of the inductors. These little air core inductors are not as bothered by proximity of other components as the ones you have used are. These are not much effected from something outside them but are quite sensitive to anything in the center. Stainless screws are a must for these (or brass if you could find them). I am not sure this will be the final layout. Yes these things are a bear to wire up. Lots of parts. Requires the 3636 AT to get the right attenuation.

Bob

Would it be possible to reuse some of the parts from a AB X-over in a Belle to make an AL-3 X-0ver?

I have a pair og KBWO Kornerhorns with the AK-3 X-over and would like an AL-3 for the Belle.

Just curious, anyone have a schematic and parts list for the AL-3?

The AL-3, AK-3 and AB-2 are all so similar that they should all interchange. The only differences are that the AL-3 has added tweeter protection (polyswitch) and the AK-3 has slightly different values for the woofer roll off caps.

Bob Crites