Acurus 200x3 - Initial Impressions

dougdrake2

my marantz only has one switched outlet which is occupied by the remote connection to the hts. don't need more than 1 switched anyway, but it looks like the marantz will soon be rotated to the lounge to make room for the new denon 4802. cwm35.gif

sorry to report but got the magic box (for the cable tv connection) today &, though it's doing a pretty good

job, it's not totally removing the ground loop buzzz.

still audible ever so slightly from the listening position. though that was a pretty nasty buzz.

but i've gone back to the cheater on the acurus which totally removes it. looks like the magic did clean up

the video some but still need to look & listen to see if it really improves the video & sound.

i'm convinced though that as far as an isolator, if the magic won't totally break the loop no other isolator will. unless there's some other way i'll use the cheater.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-21-2001 at 07:24 PM

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe avman has been down to Bourbon Street!:^)My suggestion followed boa's suggestion for getting additional outlets.What I meant was that a person could take a device such as a Panamax Coaxmax(4 plugs) and plug that into another multi-plug unit which would then be plugged into a wall outlet.Insert manufacturer name as you see fit.

boa, sorry to hear the MAGIC didn't work this time.May be time to take advantage of AA's return policy.

Keith

a cheater plug for 50 cents looks real good right now as to the $100 magic box. hell w/ safety, we want performance. just don't touch the acurus chassis Biggrin.gif

thanks to keith & his fine knowledge of the character of vendors i just may send the magic back. then again after the trial i just may keep it.

cbr, that hts is a nice box. still i wouldn't touch any cheater plugged component w/ the power on or w/ an acurus within about 1 min of shutdown.

Boa, thanks for the tip again. Hopfully, I willremeber that:-). I want to thank Keith also. I took his advise and got some of AQ Slate cables. Great cable, the highs are more refined and bass is tigher. Most amazing thing is it actuualy reduce the hiss from the tweeter.

This is definitely an expensive hobby, at least for me. I started with RP-3, RS-3., RC-3 & Denon 3802 two months ago and thought I was in heaven. As of today, I still have 3802 plus all new additions RF-7,RC-7, RS-7, Mirage BPS-400, Acurus and hts2500 soon. I like acurus A200x3 so much and thinking about get another one from UBID. All of this start with supposely a $2000 upgrade. I'd better spend more time on enjoying what I have rather than improving before my wife kill me or my credit card:-)

Boa - Are you sure all your hum is caused by one source, the cable? I thought all mine was coming from my TV connection. But then I connected one source at a time, with no other connections into the pre-amp or into that particular source (except the connection of that source to the pre-amp) and I turned up 2 more sources of hum -- my DVD and my VCR.

DD2

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 09-22-2001 at 01:03 AM

Mike,

The 3500 contains an 1/8" mini-plug input connection on the rear of the unit. It allows you to plug in a 3.5mm mini cable between the 3500 and any receiver that has a corresponding 12 volt mini output trigger connection. When you turn on your receiver, the power centers switched outlets will be turned on immediately. The timed outlets will turn on after usual delay. So when I use my Sony Remote Commander to turn on my NAD receiver, it immediately turns on the 3500 and all swithched outlets, the timed ones are turned on after the delay. As I explained in my earlier post, my Sony CD which has no remote feature is plugged into the receiver.

If your receiver has a 12 volt trigger feature then check out pages 9-10 of your manual, it explains use and connection procedures for Remote DC Control Hookups. The 12 volt trigger feature was the reason I opted for the HTS3500.

Thought I should add that the AC & CD Remote Hookups work the same, really a matter of preference. I chose the DC hookup because it freed up the switched outlet on the back of my receiver.

Wes

------------------

Main System Setup

NAD T 761 Receiver (Pre-outs to Outlaw)

Outlaw 750 5 Channel Amp

Klipsch Cornwalls (Front w/Outlaw)

Klipsch Heresy's (Front w/NAD)

Klipsch Academy (Center w/NAD)

Klipsch Cornwall (V) II's (Rear w/Outlaw)

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear w/NAD)

SVS SV20-39CS SUB (NAD 2400THX Bridged)

Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub)

Klipsch RF-3's (NAD T 761 "B" Channel)

Denon DVM-3700 DVD

Sony CDP-CA80ES

Sony MiniDisk Deck MDS-JE320

Mitsubishi Stereo VCR

Mitsubishi 52" Wide Screen

Sony Remote Commander RM-AV2100

Monster Cable HTS-3500 Audio/Video Power Conditioner

Bedroom HT Setup

Onkyo TX-DS484

Sony DVP-530D

Sony Dual Cassette Deck

Phillips Magnavox 27'

Klipsch Quintets (Front, Center & Surrounds)

Infinity SubWoofer (Powered by Sony STR-AV760)

Sub Out to Sony STR-AV760

3rd System Setup - Listening Only

Sony Prologic Receiver STR-D1015

Sony CassetteTC-K444esII

DAK Stereo Power Controller

Technics Turntable SL-D2

Akiai GX-280D 4 Track Real

Klipsch Walnut Quartet's

2 EA. Quintet's

Klipsch Walnut KG2.2V Center

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-22-2001 at 12:21 PM

Wes,

Thanks for the explanation. I am using the AC remote and am tying up my last switched outlet on the receiver with it's use. I may end up doing the same as you.

On a side note, I would like to say that this board has been so helpful to me that words alone cannot explain my gratitude. I have never been associated with a nicer, knowlegable bunch of people and am really grateful. This has been a complete learning experience for me and I have all of you to thank for it. Thanks for helping out a lost soul with a Klipsch passion as big as your hearts...

Mike

doug, your hunch was right. i went & removed the cable tv & still had that slight buzz w/ the cheater off the acurus. long story short, i get the slight buzz this way when anything is connected between the 2 outlets which i have to use w/ my set-up. s-video tv in from cable box, s-video monitor out to tv, digital in from cable box, analog ins from tv, & sub out to sub (in cabinet under tv).

i want to keep it connected as is so i'm just gonna continue using the cheater on the acurus.

so the magic box is doing it's job ground loopwise. but if i use the cheater it may not be necessary.

but will see if it really does any audio & video improvement.

boa - I thought I had all the hum out from my system, too. Then, tonight, as I was recalibrating after adding the Acurus, there is a very faint hum that comes with NOTHING plugged into the Denon. I've decided to live with it. It's so faint that it's inaudible unless I have my ear stuck in the mid-range horn. Sheesh!!

DD2

doug, i'd rather live in the danger zone w/ a cheater on the acurus* Biggrin.gif w/ the cheater off & the magic box on the cable tv line in, the buzz is slightly audible from my listening position.

i want to have everything as connected, so let's see, including the magic box, i'd need 6 various ground loop isolator devices cwm14.gif

would seem better/simpler to have someone work on the home electrical wiring. like maybe grounding the ungrounded outlet to the same common ground as the other now grounded outlet. but i think you use only 1

outlet or, if 2, they're both grounded to the same common ground. & u still have/had a ground loop hum.

lord knows. if i ever find an electrician who knows about ground loops & audio i'll let ya'll know.

* (disclaimer) though i haven't found cheater plugs to adversely affect sound quality, they could create a shock hazard

The outlets on the back of most recievers are to conect CD players,DVD players,tape decks and such.

One or more should be switched,its not there to conect any power amp.

Power amps should always have a dedicated outlet on a separate breaker.If a large reciever and power amp share the same 15 amp outlet you may have breaker problems.

Most will not have these as you need over 15 amps to set the breaker.With my amps and subs I have to use multiple dedicated outlets.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEAR,

I hope they don't mind me jumpin' in here.

As I now understand it, their Power Centers AC Remote Connecter is connected to their receivers switched outlet, not the power cord.

I too was confused as to what component was connected to their receivers outlet. However, at the top of this page boa clarified for me as to what they've got connected to the receivers switched. I chose to use the DC Remote conection to trigger the on/off functions of my HTS3500 Power Center, thus freeing up the switch outlet on my receiver. Only have one outlet on mine & needed it for additional DVD playercwm14.gif

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-24-2001 at 06:04 AM

well had an electrician in today & he grounded the other outlet to the same common ground. no change at all - still get very loud buzz w/ the magic box off, slight buzz w/ the magic on, & no buzz at all w/ the cheater plug on the acurus.

don't know what else can be done w/ the electrical wiring. so i'm sending back the magic as it's not needed w/ the cheater on the acurus & the cable tv picture is slightly better without it (not it's fault keith, thanks for the effort, just have other ground loops than the cable tv, like all 5 connections between

the cable box/tv & receiver cwm12.gif)

i'll use the $100 for a monster gold cheater plug Biggrin.gif