Acurus 200x3 - Initial Impressions

dougdrake2

wes, like w/ your amps, my acurus is plugged into the switched/timed high current power amp outlet of my hts2500 powercenter. only the control cord to switch on/off the hts2500 switched outlets is plugged into the receiver switched outlet. using this method instead of the dc control. this ac control to the hts2500 draws minimal current from the receiver switched outlet for only a split second just to turn on the switched outlets of the hts2500.

mike, no problem there. actually u can turn off the hts manual switch & it will still switch on/off it's switched outlets off the receiver.

oh yea that acurus noise is freaky indeed. kinda like that synthesizer on edgar winter's "frankenstein". Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-20-2001 at 06:06 PM

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are confusing me and I've had mine hooked up like this for years!

Mike,if you need to gain additional outlets,assuming all do not exceed the rating for your protector,you could plug low voltage components such as DVD player or CD player into your AV receiver.They will not turn on of course until you turn on the receiver(if they're switched).If you knew that please excuse.I'm confused remember!

Wonder how Adam would suggest achieving surge protection for amps if these protectors were in fact limiting power to the amp.I don't know if I could stand any more power :^).

Keith

I'll tell you what I did to relieve my Panamax of a little of the load.Bought two of those Panamax Coaxmax jobs from AudioAdvisor for $19.95 each and use one behind the TV for the two front KSP300's,TV,and cable.

The other one protects the two rear KSP's and the center sub which somehow wandered to the rear of the room,for the time being.I don't know how good they are but they appear to be high quality for the small price.

Would work as in Boa's scenerio.

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

HEY DRPYRO, ya got lost in the shuffle!

The 3801 ain't sloppy.The Acurus amps ain't sloppy and won't be around(NIB) forever.But I still believe I would go for for the new Reference 7's(if you like the sound-I haven't heard them myself).Good luck.

Keith

Boa12:

Please post your result after you test the magic box.

Received my Acurus A200x3 from UBID a few days ago. Got the big hum. Use the cheater plug to fix the problem for now. In my case, the problem is caused by TV cable.

I am also thingking about buy a HTS2500 or 3500. Which one is better?

Thanks.

Hey DUDE(boa)!I've been thinking about buying one of those Monster jobs myself.This Panamax just keeps working and working though.Thought the two Acurus amps might be too much for the one Panamax Max 1000 but all is well,so far.I'm not opposed to Monster products,I just think some of their interconnects are priced too high.If/when you get the AQ interconnects you'll see(hear) what I mean.I hope.

Hey,changed the front KSP300 wiring around yesterday. Used speaker level and re-placed those shiny gold straps(temporary).Unplugged line level from low in/out and moved them over to LFE in/out.Set receiver to LFE and BOOM!,had to jump up and turn down the bass!The music isn't missing the SW12II sub and the front two KSP300's and SW12II provide plenty of LFE for the HT.I am going to retry the center sub sometime,but the bass up front is not a problem at all!The last time the center sub muddied the dialogue somewhat but that time I made a half hearted attempt at adjusting it ,and have changed centers several times.These speaker still amaze me.The 125X5 Acurus emphasized the mids and gave them a more balanced sound.I'm sure you know what I mean since you've had experience with the Klipsch powered towers.Wish I could finish the fine tuning and then I wish you could hear it.

How the heck did I get way off subject here? Had a major surge several months ago that made me realize how important surge protection is.The Panamax did the job and boy am I glad! Outta here!

Keith

amigo keith, me thinks all you'd be gaining w/ a monster powercenter like an hts2500 or 3500 up is the remote switching for your power amps or other non-remote devices. i haven't noticed any audible improvement in sound or video from mine. but that's just me. it is kinda cool looking though there on the top shelf of the vantage point rack. it's a big box- another black component & has those pretty red & green lights Biggrin.gif

& yea that's plenty o' power to drive the higher frequencies. those mids & highs must really sing! then u have all those amps on the subs. man!

cbr, i'll let u know on the magic box results. i don't know enough about the hts3500 to say. my hts2500 is plenty for me. got it for $175 delivered at www.avpronet.com

msrp is $299.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-21-2001 at 12:29 AM

Thanks, Keith...I had forgotten about that! I will plug the DVD player into the receiver and will be able to turn everything on with a push of a button from the remote... Smile.gif

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

You guys are confusing me and I've had mine hooked up like this for years!

Mike,if you need to gain additional outlets,assuming all do not exceed the rating for your protector,you could plug low voltage components such as DVD player or CD player into your AV receiver.They will not turn on of course until you turn on the receiver(if they're switched).If you knew that please excuse.I'm confused remember!

Wonder how Adam would suggest achieving surge protection for amps if these protectors were in fact limiting power to the amp.I don't know if I could stand any more power :^).

Keith

That's how my DVD player is powered Mike.Not that I needed the additional outlet but just wanted to save routing the cord,and the receiver will need to be on anyway to use the DVD player.Every now and then I'll try to turn on the DVD player before the receiver and get nothing because the receiver's outlets are switched.

Boa,had dedicated HT circuits wired during construction

and thought about using another circuit for one power amp.That would call for another protector.Thought I might try a Monster.Was concerned about overloading the Panamax.But then again the one seems to work well.

Keith

hey mike! in order for your surge prtr's warranty to hold up you have to: either plug it directly onto the wall, or plug it into a PANAMAX extension, or another pmax surge prtr (be careful not to put an inferior-level pmax sp there). avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Thanks, Keith! If you would, check out my post on DD2's Ground Hum thread over in General. I may have a problem there as well. Also, I noticed my Acurus gets very hot after it's been running a while. A lot hotter than my S700 or my 4800. I think I may need to put a fan back there to keep it cool. Know where I can find one that will mount to a shelf and is very quiet? You seem to know where to get all the accessories... Smile.gif

Thanks,

Mike

Keith-

Thanks...I have listened to the Rx-7s. They are HUGE speakers and sound not too bad (the store that had them didn't have them setup properly, DOH). Since my room is quite small, the RF-7s are just too large and would probably sound poor in the cramped enviroment. So I guess i'll just spend my $$$ on a more musical sub ;-)

Thanks

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

plug it in DIRECTLY to the wall. not a commentary on the relative 'quality' of the other sp, but in order for the pmax to have a valid warranty, it must be installed, as mentioned, into the wall, a pmax extension, or another pmax. avman.

p.s.: you could install the other sp into the pmax.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

avman,

I went ahead and did that but after reading your post you may have me confused with TTK. I do not have a pmax just a Monster HTS-3500, which is now plugged directly into the wall outlet. All my A/V gear is now plugged inito the 3500 with a couple pieces plugged into the 4800's switched outlets. I'm using the remote feature of the 3500 so that it now powers on when I turn on the 4800...

Thanks again for everybody's help,

Mike