Acurus 200x3 - Initial Impressions

dougdrake2

Hey gang,

I too just bought the A200x3 from Ubid and will be getting it in about a week. I'm currently plugging all my equipment into my HTS-3500. This includes the cable line out of the wall, which I then run from the 3500 to my receiver. Will I have the same problems when I install the amp? Also, what is a cheater plug?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Chorus (mains)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center)

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (rears)

Klipsch RS-3's (rear surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Heresy's

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike, that's the .59 cent plug that eliminates the ground on the power cord(3 to 2).You could just break off the round ground prong on the cord,but it's hard to put back on later!

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

Mike - Don't know if you'll have the problem or not. I may have had the problem but never noticed it until I had a device that actually used a ground plug (the Acurus is my first). Adam at Mondial strongly advised NOT to use a cheater plug as a long term solution. Also, there is a troubleshooting guide at http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/ts_guide.pdf which gives some explanation behind the phenomenon.

We'll keep ya posted!

DD2

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 09-17-2001 at 11:16 AM

Boa,

I know you are getting anxious to get the 4802 as a pre-amp but I would advise to wait and get the Outlaw 950 pre-amp for about half the price. It has features the 4802 does not such as Crystal Audio(?) 7.1 that is supposed to be very good for mulitchannel SACD and DVD Audio, etc. go to Outlawaudio.com to check specs or take a look at hometheaterforum.com and do a search for the Outlaw 950. It also is a true separate and you can get a little cash for your 8000. The best thing about this product (and they won't even tell us everything they are putting in it yet....) is that it is supposed to be software upgradeable. If they can truly offer this for the price of $900 and under I think they have made a customer for life in me.......

Most recent updates on the status of the Marantz 8200 and 9200 is that the 9200 will no longer be a preamp. Right now there are a lot of 8000 that need to sell before they will ship these two units. Since the 7200 got to be as good as the 8000, the 8200 is due to come out and replace the SR19EX. The 9200 will replace the SR18EX. This came from one of their sales reps who seemed pretty upset that someone had guessed what it was they were doing before they had actually done it. Of course this means their will be a price increase for each of these models. Ask if you have any more questions about these and as far as I know right now, there is no bass management on it, but I could be wrong......

Juan

This message has been edited by JuHorvath on 09-18-2001 at 08:53 AM

WARNING! hey guys, noticed the 'ground loop' problem...one of those tech nightmares i hate to encounter on an install..especially in the sub! (they play 60 cycles REALLY good). my CONCERN for y'all is the way(s) you are hooking up your surge protectors! there are specific instructions from the manufacturer on how to/not to hook 'em up. this prevents a 'back door' for a surge to enter your equipment. Eek.gif also, if not installed per specs, they will NOT honor the warranty on equipment repair/replacement. units MUST be plugged into a properly wired GROUNDED outlet, so 'lifting' the ground w/the adapter should NOT be done. ??'s-post 'em/read the manual. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 09-18-2001 at 10:36 AM

Okie...Stupid question time...

I notice that alot of you are using power conditioners for "solution" of 3 problems.

1) Simple surge protection of your equipment

2) Ground Loop Elimination

3) Power Conditioner

My question is, thou 1&2 are import. Does spending $300 (or so) to get the power conditioner feature actually make your system sound better? Or is it simply an effect of eliminating the ground loop makes it sound "better", ie no buzz?

I don't intend to start a war with this...i just looking for some general feedback.

Cheers

DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

Hey Doc, as far as I'm concerned the #1 reason for using my Panamax is for protection.I think everyone should always use protection.Saves unwanted problems.

Such as having thousands of dollars of audio equipment fried while saving a couple hundred.After the fact surge protectors look really cheap.For tightwads AudioAdvisor has Panamax CoaxMax protectors for $19.95 (I have 2 of them).I highly recommend surge protector use.

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

dr, powercenters are not intended to remove a ground loop. just surge protection & conditioning mainly for RF & EMI ac noise. opinions & circumstances vary as to whether they really improve sound or video. my new monster hts2500 also has remote switching which is nice

because when my receiver is switched on/off it auto switches on/off my power amp (no getting off the hiney using the universal remote).

av, i have the powercenter grounded using the 3 prong plug. only the acurus plug has the cheater on it. don't know, how their warranty applies there.

funny thing is even when I use the cheater on the powerecenter, it's grounded light still lights up.

i also had the power company install a panamax surge device at the meter. costs $5/mo. added to the electrical bill.

ju, i've already ruled out using any of the new marantz

because of their lack of the adjustable crossover & some other features of the likes of the denon 4802. went & listened to the 4802 & it sounded good, clear & powerful but that was w/ martin logan speakers as they no longer had any klipsch to demo.

though i'll still need an amp for the 6th channel (& possible 7th channel) i'm still open to a seperate preamp especially an upgradable like that outlaw. thanks for the heads up.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

2-KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HTS1000 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

rock on!

Not to get you guys off the subject any further, i just wanted to comment about Dougdrake2's reaction to the Acurus amp compared to the Denon receiver's amp.

I too had a similar reaction to replacing my fne sounding Denon amp powered front channels with a Rotel amp. Though the Denon is good-n-clean with fine frequency response throughout, the Rotel is a magnitude better. I didn't have the same response when I borrowed a friend's Marantz monoblocks. The denon amp ruled over the Marantz.

Your description of the Acurus continuing on after power shutoff reminded me of the demo where the salesman had the Klipsch RP-3, RP-5 and RF-3 all connected by switch to the Adcom GFA-5802. We listened to the combo one-by-one, and then all three at once. Then he turned off the power, and we still listened to all three for several seconds (I'm sure more than five before it started to decay).

My Rotel has speaker protection circuitry that shuts off the speakers when the power switch is turned off or initially when it is turned on.

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10

Opinion time...

I'm also looking at an Acurus amp for my system...

However, Most of you are using the A200 for Chorus speakers. Has anyone tried them on Rx-3's?

Now for the real questions...

I use my system for about 50/50 Music/Movies,

Which would be a better idea, the A200x5 or A200x3?

Watching DVDs on the x3, would the surrounds be over powered?

Or for the most banf-for-the-buck, would it be best to spend the $$ to upgrade to Rx-5s or Rx-7s?

Thanks

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

I just got my A200X3 in the mail yesterday and got a chance to hook it up last night (Thanks, Doug...went with the AR 1 meter audio cables). Like Doug, I have a Denon receiver (4800) that was powering my front soundstage (Chorus', C-7). I ended up having to move a few things around and had to buy a few more interconnects (GRRRR!) but finally got it all together around 9:00.

When I recalibrated using the Video Essentials DVD, I was surprised I did not have to make any adjustments to either of the 3 channels. I demo'd the new amp with my re-mastered Al Dimeola CD (Splendido Hotel) and the Eagles HFO DVD in DTS. Like Doug, the bass was the biggest difference I heard (my ears aren't that good either), especially at louder volumes. Much fuller and punchier. I could tell that this amp wasn't even straining with the volume at +4db (about 100db in my living room). Smile.gif It seems to make gobs of clean power and I look forward to using it for many years to come. cwm16.gif

One last thing...I have all of my equipment plugged into my HTS-3500 (TV, Cable, audio equipment) and have that plugged into a pretty good surge-suppressor. The surge-suppressor is plugged into a grounded outlet in the wall. I leave all of my equipment turned on and just turn on the surge suppressor when I want to play my system. When I am done, I turn off the suppressor. Is this how I want to do it or should I have the 3500 plugged directly into the wall? If I do that, I can control the On/Off features from the 4800 due to the remote cable that runs from the 3500 to the 4800. BTW, I do not get a ground hum with my Acurus in this configuration...

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Chorus (mains)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center)

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (rears)

Klipsch RS-3's (rear surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Heresy's

mike, there should be no harm using the wall surge along w/ the 3500, though the 3500 is also a pretty effective surge protector & i have seen some recommendations to not daisy chain surge protectors even from the same outlet. no worry though if it's not

causing any audible or visual harm.

i would imagine u have the acurus plugged into the high

current switched/timed outlet on the 3500. u could leave your wall surge switched on & use the remote switching of the 3500 to turn on/off your acurus from the electrical cue from the denon. right now i'm using

the ac cord from the switched outlet of my receiver. may try the dc connection. either way don't have to get up to manually turn the sys including the acurus on/off.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

2-KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HTS1000 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

rock on!

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

i would imagine u have the acurus plugged into the high current switched/timed outlet on the 3500.

That's correct...It's plugged into the Main Amp plug and the S700 is plugged into the Surround Amp Plug. Both of these plugs are Timed and are ultra high current audio filters.

quote:

u could leave your wall surge switched on & use the remote switching of the 3500 to turn on/off your acurus from the electrical cue from the denon. right now i'm using the ac cord from the switched outlet of my receiver. may try the dc connection. either way don't have to get up to manually turn the sys including the acurus on/off.

I'm not real sure if I can plug my 3500 into the wall outlet now that it sits about 6 ft high on a rack. I think I'm stuck with this configuration for awhile. As it stands right now I haven't had any electrical problems or glitches with this setup, but you never know. Would you mind explaining the differences between AC and DC power?

Thanks again Boa,

Mike

mike, ac is alternating current & dc is direct current.

i'm sure somebody else could explain the techs there, but here it applies only in how your 3500 gets its cue to turn on the switched outlets - ac from the receiver switched outlet or dc from a 1/8" miniplug wire running from your denon dc control plug to that on the 3500.

dc is what your receiver converts to from the ac from the wall.

to do the auto switching connect as above to the 3500 control logic section, either ac or dc. ac to the swiched outlet of your receiver seems to be easier.

leave the surge protector switched on &, turn everything including the 3500 off. then when u turn on

the receiver like w/ the remote, everything including your power amps will switch on. when u turn off your receiver, everything will switch off. like magic. Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-20-2001 at 04:06 PM

boa

I just read your message concerning switching on your

amp with the switched outlet of your receiver.

Have you checked the wattage/amperage rating of

that outlet? I am concerned that it might draw too

much power through your receiver. This could also

create more heat in your receiver.

Just concerned. Don't want to see anything happen.

aab

aab, thanks but the only thing hooked to the receiver switched outlet is the control wire from the power center. just cues on the switched outlets on the powercenter. the acurus & receiver & everything are getting their power to run directly from the powercenter & the 15A wall outlet.

mike, maybe obvious but the turntable can go into an unswitched as well as anything u can control by remote. an equalizer, tape deck or such w/o remotes

could go into the switched outlets. u have more than 2

of those type things?

Boa,

I'm running the Dual and the DBX in the other 2 switched outlets and you are right, they do turn on and off when the receiver is turned on and off. I just didn't wait long enough for the receiver to power the switched and timed outlets down (btw, very weird to hear the Acurus whistle about 15-20 seconds after it powers down). That just leaves my TV and DVD player - I will have to turn these off with their remotes. Of course the HTS-3500 remains on as well. Is it OK for that piece to be on all the time?

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike, I have my HTS3500 connected as boa explained, except it's pluged directly into an AC outlet. My Outlaw 750 is in the Main Amp plug and NAD Amp which powers SVS Sub, is pluged into the surround plug on the 3500.

I also have my 3500 connected to my NAD receivers remote trigger as well. The remote trigger connection allows my 3500 to be turn on remotely by the receiver. The 3500 then activates the delayed power on for both Amps. So the 3500 & both Amps are turned on and off remotely via my receivers remote trigger. I also gain remote turn on for my Sony CDP-CA80es, which has no remote control, by pluging it into the rear outlet of my NAD receiver. Thus I have total remote turn on/off for all the components in my A/V rack.

boa, My manual advised not to plug Hi Wattage components, such as Amps & Subwoofers, into the rear outlets of the receiver. Not sure if understood that you have your Amp pluged this way?

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-20-2001 at 05:18 PM