Harmony 880

Skidmarks

Well since noody replyed I went out and got one, thank God cause it was the last, they are sold out in the first week.

It was so easy to program the macros and the logitec firmware. I think I spent about 30 min. and had the entire system setup, including Tivo and dvr.

And all for about a third of the price of the pronto models. It even allows u to load pics and backgrounds into the full color LCD screen from your pc.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/12/2005 11:51:43 PM wheelman wrote:

What's a harmony? Do you mean Harman? Is this a new big gun from Harman Kardon, or am I way off?

----------------

Universal Remote and a good one if I might add.

Sorry I did not see this post until now. I bought one when I got my Home theater about a month ago. It is quite impressive.I almost had to talk the Best Buy guy into selling it to me, but I am glad he did.

Pluses:

My wife can use it

I dont have to use an old remote for programming

automatic updates with online programming

Off turns off everything

I can program all electronics in the house (not just AV, anything IR)

Help is fairly intuitive

Activites are switchable (If you are watching a DVD and want to watch TV, it shuts everything else off and switches the TV input)

Charge lasts a LONG time

Can program default functions (if you switch to DVD swithces the surround sound too)

Color display

can upload personal photos for screen saver

Small

Programming is saved on a server on the internet so can be easily recovered if lost.

Automatically turns on when you put your have near it.

Misses:

Programming requires internet connection (or other remote while still hooked to USB)

Have to turn evertyhing off before activating an activity IF you started the device with another remote or by hand

Too many buttons flip through to find the functions from more complicated remotes (I believe that you can turn these off though)

I am glad I found out about this one. At the time we bought it I had no idea it had just been released, but I notice they are still in short supply, so that makes me feel better about the cost. Since we bought it with the TV though Best Buy gave us 10% off everything we bought matching circuit cities offer, so I guess we got a good deal on it. We sure got a good deal on everything else.

Kirby

• 2 months later...

I got the 676

recently because of the button layout and it was much cheaper thatn the

880. Having 4 remotes is really a pain. Now, after configuring

activities on my remote, I just click on the WATCH DVD button and all

equipment turns on for this purpose.

Example as follows:

- TV turns ON

- TV switches to COMPONENT 2 input

- DVD turns ON

- RECEIVER turns ON

- EJECT TRAY

Click on the OFF button turns all off.

The UNIT itself is nice to hold. Doesn't feel cheap and light. I'll never look back!

• 1 month later...

I ended up getting the 688 and saving $80 over the 880. I love mine and would agree with the pluses and minuses listed above.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

>Have to turn everything off before activating an activity IF you started the device with another remote or by hand

I havent had a problem with this since I use my Harmony exclusively!

Hook this baby up with a Next Generation RF kit and you can control your system from just about anywhere on your property, inside or outside.

http://www.nghp.net/

No association, just a very happy owner.

Call first to make sure they have the support for your particular Harmony.

Congratulations! I think you will rely enjoy your purchase and if you are married, your wife will be even more pleased.

Has anybody had issues with the battery life?

I

recieved a 676 for free, but the batteries kept running out and every

time they run out i had to reprogram so i stopped using it. Just

wondering if anybody else has had this problem, maybe it was

a defective one.

Got my 676 mid August. Have not changed batteries yet. Then again, I

don't use it everyday because it's exclusively dedicated for use with

my HT in the basement.

I recieved a 676 for free, but the batteries kept running out and every time they run out i had to reprogram so i stopped using it. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem, maybe it was a defective one.

Next Generation is a small company but I have found them very responsive by phone. Give them a call. I am sure he will make it right.

I recommend a good battery charging system for all your batteries.

Maha makes some good units that do away with memory issues and get the most out of your batteries.

I am currently using Energizer AAA and AA 2300mAh batteries with this charger and getting three weeks out of them. I use it every day.

Does anyone know how B&K's sr10.1 remote compares with the Harmony universals? I have the B&K but have not tried to program it yet. It looks like you need a degree in software engineering to program this thing. If the Harmony is a lot simpler. I might just go that route.

Jeremy

Does anyone know how B&K's sr10.1 remote compares with the Harmony universals? I have the B&K but have not tried to program it yet. It looks like you need a degree in software engineering to program this thing. If the Harmony is a lot simpler. I might just go that route.

Jeremy

I can not speak for the B&K but I am confident that you will not be disappointed with the ease of programming of the Harmony, the activity capabilities are awesome, and your other half will think you are a genious.

No issues with battery life. I have the 688 and love the remote.

One tip. Just make sure thatyou turn it to "off" when you are done using it. Depending on the model - the "harmony" display will then come on. Saves battery consumption that way.

Carl.

P.S. The Harmony's ease of programming is well worth the price you pay for them.