mmf 5 turntable

I've had an MMF-5 for a year & 1/2. Use it almost daily. I think it sounds great - my cd player is dusty. Changed the cartridge to a shure V15 - but there's nothing wrong with the stock Goldring. Not a tweakers table, but has a lot of features for the money.

THe mmf 9 is a beast; solidy built.

From observation of the design concept the platter and plinth gets more respnmnance resistant as you go from the 5 to the 7 to the 9. Not sure of the details of the tonearm improvments.

From looking at used sales I have read allot more than a few ads on Audiogon where people have went quickly from the MMF -5 to he MMF-7.

9 has only been out for a year or so as I remeber.

I own the MMF-5 and it's a terrific turntable that sounds wonderful. Stereophile Class C rated, and Absolute Sound awarded it an Editor's Best Buy. It's built quite well, and is perfect as an entry-level table. I'll soon be upgrading to a VPI Aries Scout, but I'll keep the MMF-5 in my bedroom without a doubt.

PS - I used and abused the MMF-5 A LOT when drunk (and otherwise), dropping the tonearm on the stylus, accidentally moving the record backwards when it was still playing, etc. Bottom line - the table is a tank!

Great TT.A little unhappy with the build quality. I got a cover that was foggy and the company told me that was the way it was to cut costs, some were like that and some where not. Not acceptable. As far as the TT it was great. Soundstage was lacking but for the price it was great.2.gif

• 4 years later...

I've had an MMF-5 for a year & 1/2. Use it almost daily. I think it sounds great - my cd player is dusty. Changed the cartridge to a shure V15 - but there's nothing wrong with the stock Goldring. Not a tweakers table, but has a lot of features for the money.

Why is it not a tweaker's table?

Tigerman(a member here) recently bought a mmf 5.1 (I'm not sure what the difference is) but he seems very happy with it. I am sure if you sent him a PM he would share his opinion with you. I'll try and point him in this direction.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Dennie

Hello everyone, and on behalf of Dennie (long time member of 'RIGHT THIS MINUTE' where I hang out most often, I share a photo (one of MANY) of my baby. It is totally stock, and I absolutely love it. It is SO quiet, you can't even hear it running when your ear is right up to it in a silent music room!

I have been enjoying for the first time since 1986, my old, yet very well kept LP collection and its been a blast! I would highly recommend this table if you just want to set it up and use it as I have. [Y]

Enjoy the photo, shown with a Stevie Ray LP spinnin', pair of HOT KT-88's of left channel of an MK III and the PAS-2 driving them - which is how we do it over at 'Right This Minute' [:D]

All best,

Gary

post-23544-13819540986448_thumb.jpg

post-23544-1381956829261_thumb.jpg

post-23544-13819569395824_thumb.jpg

Thanks Gary!

Great TT.A little unhappy with the build quality. I got a cover that was foggy and the company told me that was the way it was to cut costs, some were like that and some where not. Not acceptable. As far as the TT it was great. Soundstage was lacking but for the price it was great.2.gif

Thats just wrong! Why not offer it without the cover OR with a foggy cover OR with a clear cover and let the buyer decide which one he wants to buy.

Heck, I might of returned it and seen how my 50/50 chances went! [;)]

Dennie