Eagles' Farewell Tour I

MrMcGoo

Best Buy has the two DVD set for $17.99. Regular price after introdution will allegedly be $24.99.

The DVD starts with no junk to skip unlike HFO. It has DTS 5.1 and stereo PCM. Video quality is excellent as is sound quality.

I will post more impressions about this set after I finish both disks.

OT: A BB employee stated that BB will discontinue SACD and DVD-A, but keep the dual disk duds. Oh well!

Bill

The Farewell Tour DVD is a worthwhile successor to Hell Freezes Over. There is a good mix of old favs and new tunes throughout both disks.

There is extensive use of the surrounds for the support band, the "Mighty Horns." They play some sax and violin in the surrounds in the DTS 5.1 version. It seems that I need to add a pair of RB-75s for the side surrounds.

If you like HFO, this DVD set is an excellent addition. If you do not like music out of the surrounds, the PCM tracks will probably work well for you.

Bill

Which sounds better to you HFO or Farewell? I plan on purchasing Farewell this Friday but just curious how the sound compares to HFO. Too bad about BB discontinuing SACD/DVD audio. I am a big fan of those formats. Oh well maybe we can get some discs at closeout prices!

If it weren't for the instrumentals in the surrounds, I would say the Farewell Tour was better due to more variety and more songs. Some folks like music in the surrounds; it tends to be less enjoyable for me.

The Farewell Tour itself is excellent. I may end up using the PCM tracks more than the DTS tracks.

Bill

A worthwhile buy. Got it at Super Wallymart for under $19 with tax (7% here). Had a chance to watch all of the first disc late last night after coming home from the hospice where my dad is.... I needed to take my mind off things for a while and this did the job. IMO much as the previous posts have described it; possibly better than HFO. I will hopefully see the second disc soon.

It was my understanding the Felder sued the band because Henley and Frey were getting more money than he was. He had said that since the beginning of the band, monies were divied up evenly with all band members. Then after HFO, Henley and Frey were demanding a bigger percentage of the profits. At least that's what I read when I did a google search on the topic.

When I saw the Farewell 1, one of the members said that they could do as many as they wanted just keep changing the number - paraphrased from memory.

It's amazing how well Walsh does play - he kind of talks 39 watts short of a 60 watt lightbulb.

Burned out acting.

picked Farewell up today and listened to most of the first disc and spot listened to disc two. I have to say this one is my new favorite over HFO, the sound quality and arrangements are top notch. The boys sound better than ever over most of their staple hits, which are many.

I picked this up Friday and listened to it Saturday night. I enjoyed it very much,however I really did miss the presence of Don Felder in the lineup. I don't know yet if I prefer Farewell or HFO. I like the sound and arrangements of some songs better on HFO and some on Farewell. Anyhow just my opinion but this disc is definately a must have for Eagles fans!!

• 1 month later...