Listening chair?

fini

Do you have a favorite chair for "critical" listening? I'm wondering what folks use, and what might be the ultimate chair, or at least the best qualities to look for. Comfort is an obvious plus, but I'm wondering about things like headrests, and the ability to recline, and their effect on the listening experience.

Excellent question Gregg,

This is an aspect fo listening that does not get fully covered IMHO.

My own listening chair of choice is a leather clad recliner with a high back. Never helped the surround sound thing - when that was an issue - but now that I have stereo only comfort prevails.

Almost all my listening is done semi-reclined with my feet up - critical or otherwise - with a rare variation of sitting forward to concentrate on some aspect of the music playback on ocasion.

The nice thing about this setup is that it allows me to go from almost nearfield listening (sitting forwards) to the full - big system bit without having to get up.

The only problem is that in summer - when the temperatures rise - leather is not the most comfortable material to be sitting in/on. Aside from that the arrangement is almost too comfortable - and I often fall asleep during late night audio sessions.

I've got a 4-pack of Coaster brand leather theatre recliners. The backs are tall enough for head support, but narrow enough, and with space between the units to not detract from surround. They are arranged on a slight arc by design, encompasing about 6 inches from front to back. Arms are a hefty 8" wide so there is no 'elbow wars'. THe recline mechanism has two positions, one fairly upright, and the most recumbent requiring a head pillow (think squishy) so you can view the 35" screen- for listening, just lay back and soak it all in. Leather is not a huge problem, I just fold a bath towel in two for the seat portion when in shorts or if it's hot. I'm a big guy, 5-10, 280 and they support me nicely.

I bought these from a Forum member who purchased two rows and ended up not using one. List price for the 4pack was $1500. They are pretty nice fit and finish. Leather where you touch, nice leather match on sides and backs. Cup holders provided. Easy assembly.

Michael

Overstuffed highback chair with wood legs and armrest fronts - the fabric on the armrests is wearing through. I like to sit upright for proper listening. Wouldn't reclining make the soudstage come from your feet? And wouldn't one need an awfully long straw? Also, when my eyes are open I like to look at my gear rather than the ceiling.

I heard the CarTalk guys on the radio years ago and one of them said the single most important thing in buying a car was whether the seat is comfortable. If it's uncomfortable for you, you're not going to be happy driving, even if everything else is fine.

The most comfortable chair I've ever sat in is this wingback leather recliner (2 positions of reclining).

wingback.jpg

----------------

On 6/16/2005 11:40:30 AM Parrot wrote:

..............The most comfortable chair I've ever sat in is this wingback leather recliner (2 positions of reclining).

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/wingback.jpg">

----------------

Your dog sure don't need no fancy chair to be comfortable and he has better ears for "critical" listening too.

----------------

On 6/16/2005 12:36:20 PM sputnik wrote:

Your dog sure don't need no fancy chair to be comfortable and he has better ears for "critical" listening too.

----------------

LOL! True enough.

They have strong opinions, too.

Here is Jasmine listening to Johnny Cash: "The Man Comes Around." Near-field listening, really latching on to the emotional content in Johnny's voice.

jasmah.jpg

Here is Phoenix listening to "In A Silent Way" in multi channel:

phomil.jpg

I was expect a more robust discussion, but I see it's turned into another pooch photo thread. Not as bad as my worst fear, though. Talks on seating can lead to SET...

I would expect a good upright chair that keeps your head positioned on axis or something is best but I am just too d@mn lazy for that. I prefer to recline on my couch (dual recliner one seat dead in the sweet spot) but I do not fully recline and I have my trusty little end table beside it to accommodate my beverage of choice.

----------------

On 6/16/2005 7:37:30 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

I hope to see some good replies to this thread. Not that there aren't already, but it's starting to veer off topic. I'll be looking for a good chair once, whenever, I get my listening room done. Of course, by then I'll be able to buy todays new chair at a considerable discount since it may be 5-6 years old.
15.gif

----------------

Check into these. I posted a photo in another thread. My wife ordered them from Pottery Barn and they're great. Solid, very comfortable, and good leather. They also react to music well and provide a nice massage when the deep bass kicks in.

pbchairs.jpg

livingroom3.jpg

My favorite is a 1.5 chair with a firm bottom cushion and a soft back. I am on the hunt for the perfect ottoman to build a subwoofer into the bottom of it. My previous 1.5 chair had a subwoofer built into the bottom of it and was awesome. I hope the guy that bought my last house is really enjoying it.