Batman Begins

dblue

Saw it yesterday with my wife and 9 year old son. I never was much of a Batman fan so I wasn't expecting too much. We just thought it would be something to do on a boring rainy day and we had already seen everything else worth seeing.

Boy, what a pleasant surprise. I thought it was an excellent movie. It was by far the best Batman movie to me.

I was surprised how many pretty big stars were playing smaller roles in the movie.

I'm glad you two like it so far. I'm looking forward to this film greatly, not only because I've been a huge fan and follower of director Christopher Nolan for a long time (see his films "Momento" and "Following"), but a long-time fan of Christian Bale's work as well. Finally we have a Batman movie that doesn't rely on trite characters, a comicky city, and tacky one-liners.

I am seeing it in IMAX this Monday... Can't wait.

If there is an IMAX around you, I highly recommend IMAX over a regular theater for all releases. I saw Matrix II in IMAX and in a regular theater - the IMAX version was a different film... the quality of the image and sound really makes a difference.

• Moderators

I hear ya, updawg. I saw the Matrix II at a premiere at Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood (HUGE screen), and because it was so crowded, I had to sit in the front row. Not only was my neck sore, but I had to keep closing my eyes to keep from getting motion sickness.

I think I missed 3/4 of the movie.

Saw this today with one my 6 year olds-- Wow! I loved it.

This is a comic book movie that is not about comic book characters. Its so well written that you get lost in the fantasy that this could really happen. Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Rutger Hauer, Liam Neeson, and Cruise's fiancee (Katie Holmes)are all playing real people impacting Batman's struggles. All elements of the story are based on possibilities of how a man with wealth and the right motivations can triumph over evil misguided greedy people. Even the bad guys are just human--but they have airborne hallucinogens---!

I liked Keaton, Kilmer, and Clooney's Batman, but Christian Bale inhabits all that Batman is. Its a shock how he makes you care about this bat-obsessed do-gooder with the heavy burden of murdered parents and their altruistic legacy to follow. He's malevolent and tortured, and he gets beaten alot--but keeps coming back.

Some of the action is hard to follow its so close--sometimes all you see is alot of black punches and several bad guys laid out. But you feel their fear before they get smacked or pulled hundreds of feet in the air by Batman's tricks. And after you've seen all other versions of campy or comic versions of his costume, "utility belts", the Batcave, weapons, and the Batmobile, they all make more logical sense here.

A new high in Comic book adventures--

Intense. Nail biting. Heart stopping. A stunner.

I saw it earlier today, and this is quite easily my favorite Batman movie to date. I'm not sure whether who I like better as Batman in terms of an all-encompassing persona - Keaton or Bale - but regardless, Nolan helms this film to be what Batman SHOULD be. True to it's original DC Comic origins, this film is dark, gritty, and...as theyugobuddy stated, is utterly human.

I very much applaud how the film spends a good hour, more or less, developing Bruce Wayne's past and backstory, as opposed to delving straight into the action - of which there is MUCH of - and assuming the audience already "knows the comics." And on the note of action, man! This film's car chase literally puts you on the edge of your seat, makes your bite your lip, and turns your knuckles white from gripping the theater seats so hard. It's a heart-pounding stunner from opening to finish. The many, many choices made in this film that differ from the originals are terrific indeed.

And...I won't spoil it for those who have yet to see it (which you must!), but the film totally sets you up for a sure-to-be astounding sequel. When it comes to action movies, or all movies in general, I'm a pretty tough critic to please. This one delivered in spades. Why? Because anybody can do action. But not everybody can weave a believable, sympathetic, and universal story that deals with the human condition and our breakable spirits. That is the core element that makes people love or hate the characters and thus, the film. (Cinderella Man is an awesome example of how this works.)

For those who have seen Bale in "The Machinist," it's amazing to see how beefed-up he's become once again. From Trevor Reznick to Bruce Wayne. Who'd have known!

Great movie! See it!

From the few descriptions I have heard it seems to be more film noire - darker but with much more character development and more depth and with some good effects - more "Dark City-ish" - and not nearly so camp as all the other Batman movies.

Sounds like a movie to see!

I saw this movie on saturday.. WOW was I impressed. (side note: Not that Morgan Freeman had a big part but I swear any movie he is in is an amazing movie!) The visuals were awesome, the way they built up the characters was done well.. The movie flowed really smoothly. This movie didn't get one bad review (besides by my little brother.. but what does he know). See it if you have the chance I'm buying this once it comes out on dvd

Batman Begins....Ive got to get my hands on that Batmobile. Thats the answere to clear the traffic jams. The best Batman movie yet. I have every issue of Batman from #200 to the present. He,s a sick sick man. Even took on Superman.

Took my son to see Batman on Saturday and I must say it is my favorite of the genre. This film lost all of the campy visuals and one-liners that made an attempt to make things cute in previous versions. I will agree that it is a dark film but the story line was necessary to setup how Batman came to exist. I would highly recommend this film to anyone and I look forward to adding it to my collection of DVD's.

I liked it.

The problem with the other Batman movies, for me, was that they lapsed into funny pages themes. Almost as if they were mimicing the TV series. The TV series was terrible even by the undemanding standards of the day.

The dark theme of the movie was very welcome. OTOH, the theme that Bruce / Batman was a conflicted individual always wandering toward resolution and failing just took too long. Coming of age movies usually don't bog down as much.

BTW, Gotham is Chicago with a lot of CG. Lower Wacker Drive got the best workout since the Blues Brothers. Smile. My home town.

Gil