Plasma, DLP, LCD, flatscreen, HD, m-o-u-s-e?

rivieraranch

How many more televisions are there? What is the best value for the money?

I am looking for an HD set 42 inches diagnonally and there are so many choices that it boggles the mind. I do not like "home theater" and will not be interested in it at all. It seems like televisions are evolving too fast to sink a lot of cash into one. Prices on plasmas are falling, and LCD units, too.

The Samsung rear projection DLPs with the TI chip are stunning. Two friend of mine have them. I'm saving up for one.

They are fairly thin, no convergence issue, no burn in issue.

I'm probably going to wait until the newer maximum definition chip comes out, and the sets get into a second production cycle. That may be unwise in that it will probably be three years before the media to match is on the street.

It seems to me that if you buy now, you're getting a lot bang for buck. There is always the question of when to jump on the merry-go-round. Stuff will be better and cheaper at a later time. Yet sometime you do have to make the move.

Gil

Plasma has the best picture after tube by far. Then it is a toss up between different types of projection setups and LCD. Rear projection can be nice but unless you have a fixed seating position dead center infront of it, they are not worth owning.

Pioneer and Panasonic offer the best for plasma.

jta,

plasma has been eclipsed by LCD and DLP projection in every way... and most digital rear-projection sets have a viewing angle of at least 165 degrees.

right now the best picture quality is offered by DLP. the samsung DLP sets are fantastic and offer the best bang for the buck right now, but i think the smallest they make is 46".. if you need something smaller, then LCD displays are your best bet.

----------------

On 6/16/2005 9:43:35 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

The Samsung rear projection DLPs with the TI chip are stunning. Two friend of mine have them. I'm saving up for one.

They are fairly thin, no convergence issue, no burn in issue.

I'm probably going to wait until the newer maximum definition chip comes out, and the sets get into a second production cycle. That may be unwise in that it will probably be three years before the media to match is on the street.

It seems to me that if you buy now, you're getting a lot bang for buck. There is always the question of when to jump on the merry-go-round. Stuff will be better and cheaper at a later time. Yet sometime you do have to make the move.

Gil

----------------

I was under the impression that all DLP Rear projector TV's used the TI chip since it is a TI chip set to begin with. I know my Mitsubishi does and it is as Gil stated stunning.

I have a Samsung DLP (check profile) and I am very happy with it. I would reccomend it, no doubt the new models are cheaper and offer a better pictures too. Each type of monitore has its own stregths and weaknesses. Good Plasmas (read $$$$) offer a better picture in some aspects, but you pay for it. Not all plasmas are the same, a Gateway plasma special is not going to compete with top of the line Sony.

At your size I would look at LCDs or DLPs. From my experiance LCDs are better for smaller monitors, at 42 or above I would look at DLP, think they are also the best value. I would also reccomend looking at a front projection DLP if you deside to go larger. Good luck.

Plasma is out for me because I read that if you watch a station with a header or footer it will burn itself into the plasma. Also, if the plasma gets in an uproar, isn't installed right it can get messed up. I am leaning towards DLP or LCD or Flat tube HD. I do not buy Panasonic products because they are a rotten company.

i am waiting until sept for the new Mitsubishi 62" WD-62627. with 1080p and dual hdtv tuner build in i am stoked. it will have a 250GB DVR build in as well. no digital cable box needed what more can you ask for. do a google on it and read.

rockos

I'll point out that CRT based projectors and the few remaining CRT direct displays can have problems from a speaker's magnet field, if there is no shielding or bucking magnets.

That is becoming a dead issue but something to consider. It might tip you in one direction. Also something to use as justification to a SO. Smile.

Gil

The plasma burn is more hype than anything else these days. Though it was the case on older and cheaper plasma sets, the newer units do not suffer from this problem nearly as much and many have software features to prevent it.

This issue is hyped a lot to help sell LCD and DLP based televisions, which though are more reliable, are inferior in picture quality.

Hand down best picture quality is still CRT front projection or a nice CRT rear projection. Even a mid level front proj. CRT will stomp just about any DLP, LCD, plasma you name it. They also have to be one of the best values out there due to the popularity and shift to the newer digital displays. Biggest downsides are... usually bigger in size, potential burnin, and a little bit more upkeep for convergence. Overall though if pic quality is what you are after it's still CRT!