Best Baseball movie

ygmn

----------------

On 6/18/2005 10:00:10 PM bkrop wrote:

It Happens Every Spring is a GREAT movie! Its on infrequently on cable, TCM or AMC.

----------------

Cool! I thought only the "older members" here would remember that one!2.gif I'd love to see it again after all these years.

Damn Yankees! (1958)

And yes it is available on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002Y4TII/ref=pd_sxp_f/002-0364707-1680831?v=glance&s=dvd

# Director: George Abbott, Stanley Donen

# Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)

# Format: Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen

# Rated: NR

# Studio: Warner Home Video

# DVD Release Date: October 12, 2004

# Run Time: 110

# DVD Features:

* Available subtitles: English, Spanish, French

* Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)

* All-new digital transfer

* Trailer

# From IMDb: Quotes & Trivia

# ASIN: B0002Y4TII

# Average Customer Review: 4 out of 5 stars Based on 21 reviews.

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

America's pastime gets a Faustian twist in this 1958 studio musical, which recounts the ballpark bargain struck by an aging Washington Senators fan obsessed with helping his team trump the Yanks. With echoes of the real-life 1919 Shoeless Joe Jackson scandal, and tart observations on the tradeoffs between youth and experience, Damn Yankees fuses a classic dramatic dilemma with musical comedy to often charming effect.

In transferring George Abbott's Broadway hit to the screen, codirectors Abbott and Stanley Donen are smart enough to retain Richard Adler and Jerry Ross's clever songs, Bob Fosse's sizzling choreography (with Fosse himself on camera for the sultry mambo number), and stars Ray Walston and Gwen Verdon, reprising their devilish turns as the Horned One himself, Mr. Applegate, and his temptress, Lola. Where the team strikes out, unfortunately, is in their concession to marquee politics, handing the pivotal role of Joe Hardy to handsome, vapid, celluloid heartthrob Tab Hunter, whose thin voice and unsteady screen presence argue that he should have stayed in the dugout.

Walston is reliably spry and acerbic as the canny archangel, and Verdon, in one of her rare starring screen turns, confirms the comedic timing and sexy, muscular grace that made her a deserved draw in subsequent stage hits including another Fosse triumph, Sweet Charity. With her combination of feline grace and alternately steely, flirtatious femininity, Verdon makes you believe her when she sings, "Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets." --Sam Sutherland

Greg

• Moderators

Since it's really late and I'm a little bored, I'll take a whack at naming all I can think of... I'm not getting any help, promise 1.gif

Sandlot

Field of Dreams

The Natural

A League of Their Own

The Rookie

Angels in the Outfield

8 Men Out

The Babe

Major League

Bull Durham

Pride of the Yankees

For Love of the Game

The Bad New Bears

The Fan

Little Big League

Others that are worthy:

Fear Strikes Out

Bang the Drum Slowly (sappy, but Moriarity and DeNiro are both good)

Alibi Ike (Joe E. Brown--HILARIOUS)

Cobb (Tommy Lee Jones is great as Ty Cobb)

Pastime (a really great small film that seems to be forgotten--perhaps my favorite baseball movie)

Long Gone (cable TV movie from the early 1990's)

Good lists...

for me the great ones...

For Love of the Game

Mickey (did not see it listed but I did review it weeks ago)

League of their own

Bad News Bears (can't wait for the new version)

Lou Gherig story (name?)

there was a movie about Babe Ruth which was pretty good..

Major League

Sandlot

Field of dreams

Heck they are all pretty much good to watch at least once a year...hehehe

I do think Baseball has more movies then any other sport as it makes for great stories and cinematography versus other sports....