Lascala"s on eBay...Should I bid on These?

tommy499

I saw them also. In fact, if I go big heritage, I would be more interrested with the Klipschorn. But the thing is, there is not a lot of Klipsch speakers selling at less than 10 hours ride from my home and this one is... But I'm really not in a hurry so I think you can take them 2.gif

Just a question Tommy, how is the sound of your Heresy II compared to the sound of your RF-7 for music listening?

Although it is difficult to read, the label says "P" which is 1976. That would jive with the sellers claim that they were originally purchased in 1977. They are in great condition for almost thirty years old. A sign of loving care.

A pair in average condition would sell on eBay for about $1100 these days, add a couple hundred for condition and something for closeness, $1350- 1500 would not be out of line here.

Remember though that those thirty year old motor caps in the x-overs will need some work to get the best sound. Be it rebuilding those, new BEC Oils, DeanG DAX' or ALKs. I am partial to Al K's design's adjustability myself.

Rick

Tom,

I think Rick has given you a pretty good summary on LaScala sales on Ebay recently. Just remember that in that price range you are also approaching Khorn territory. If you've got the corners that's a consideration. You'd have some crossovers that would need service in Khorns, too. Khorns would also kick up the sound a notch, too. When I was listening to LaScalas, I never got happy with the sound until I added a sub to the system.

BTW, that particular pair up for auction look to be well above average condition.

Doug,

If you have your heart set on these I will not bid against you........I am curious where the reserve is on these. I am in the Rochester area, so I am vey close. I don't have a spot for them other than on my deck at my country estate...LOL. Martin, I have not compared the RF-7's to the Heresy's because I have them on different systems for different listening. I will say that the Heresy's sound fantastic through the Fisher 500C. I mostly listen to the FM section with this set up. I am just beginning to break in all of the pieces in my main set up. The Mcintosh pieces and the RF-7's all have low hours on them. I will say that they are really starting to sound fantastic. Especially with the vinyl. I am waiting on a Jolida 100 CDP, and am excited to add that to the mix. I am considering doing a crossover upgrade. I hear that it is well worth the investment.

Doug, Good luck on the Lascalas!!!! Hope you score

Tom

I bet you'll be able to pick them up for less than $1500. If you do bid on them, do it in the last few seconds and bid the highest amount you are willing to pay.

Another idea would be to go see them. You can often work out a deal with the seller right on the spot and he can stop the auction.

Greg

hello, actually im hoping to get them for alot less than 1500.00. i bought a mint pair 2 months ago near syracuse ebay item#5772194830 for alot less. i would like to see if these have nicks and scuffs from sitting right on the floor where vacuum cleaner could have hit them or water marks on the top. travel distance is big consideration but i would rather drive 500 miles for mint than 50 miles for less than mint.

I purchased a similar pair about 200 miles from me for $750 recently. I think a few of the major considerations besides condition are the crossover, get AL3 vs Al if you can. K401 horns preferable to metal K400's

Also the finish and condition are critical to pricing. If you're going to revneer anyway, buy half junky ones with good corners. Because most LS were delivered as raw birch, the first owner's usually finished them themselves homeowner style so there is a great variety of finishes. IMHO the nicest are ones with a medium finish (ie NOT trying to look like walnut) with a rubbed oil finish. Sometimes the owner put a trim around the edge and grille cloth over the mid/tweeter assembly. If done properly this can look very nice. Looks like the LS in quesiton might have had this at one time as looks like there are small nail holes at the bottom edge of horn bay.

I wouldn't pay anywhere near $1500 for these. I paid that for Minty LS SPLIT industrials with the fibreglass/aluminum trim. Good luck with the bidding.

Michael

----------------

On 6/20/2005 11:22:53 PM tuned4life wrote:

hello, actually im hoping to get them for alot less than 1500.00. i bought a mint pair 2 months ago near syracuse ebay item#5772194830 for alot less. i would like to see if these have nicks and scuffs from sitting right on the floor where vacuum cleaner could have hit them or water marks on the top. travel distance is big consideration but i would rather drive 500 miles for mint than 50 miles for less than mint.

----------------

So, did you get them in the end? To be honest, I was beginning to ache for not bidding on them 1.gif I guess other LaScala will appear at less than 500 miles from me.

i got no response to my 1st inquiry about cosmetics. after someone pointed out trim screw holes i got the feeling something wasnt right. after i retracted my bid seller told me that they had originally been painted black and that he had sanded them down. glad i found out in time before some hit buy it now on my cornwall's.

I was able to purchase these privately. I will be pairing them up with vintage McIntosh tubes-225/110, vinyl-VPI/ET/EAR/GRADO, and mostly jazz. My first horns! The crossovers will be going to Bob Crite's for rebuild. Suggestions for tweaks, speaker cable, and subs welcomed. cb

----------------

On 6/21/2005 2:51:41 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I wouldn't pay anywhere near $1500 for these. I paid that for Minty LS SPLIT industrials with the fibreglass/aluminum trim. Good luck with the bidding.

Michael
----------------

Are you saying that industrials are worth more than the nice veneered ones?

6.gif Tim