What did gear cost back then... relative to now?

Daddy Dee

Was reading a thread in another audio forum where the new owner of a Fisher 500-C receiver had purchased it from the original owner. The original owner had purchased the unit for $600 in 1963.

I'm trying to gain some perspective on what the gear would cost in todays terms. $600 sounds like a substantial sum for 1963.

How many 2005 US dollars would be equivalent to $600 1963 dollars?

Also I'm wondering what various kind of gear were around then and what they cost. Scott and Eico seemed to offer lots of kits as an alternative to factory wired gear.

What was considered to be the high end gear? Where was Fisher or Scott in that continuum?

Was the Fisher considered to be a cadillac? Mid stream?

I was eight years old in 1963 and don't think my folks even had a record player in the house. We had TV (B&W) and my dad had a radio, which I loved to listen to and see how far away a station might be. Got my first "stereo" in 1965 which had two detachable speakers in the lid. Used to lie on the floor and listen with my head inbetween the speakers because it sounded better that way. Santa brought it with one LP, which was Robert Goulette "Brigadoon". I was a definite nerd, being able to sing along with every song. That next summer spent my lawn mowing money on the Beatles! ....but I digress.

----------------

On 6/20/2005 4:38:45 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Was reading a thread in another audio forum where the new owner of a Fisher 500-C receiver had purchased it from the original owner. The original owner had purchased the unit for $600 in 1963. I'm trying to gain some perspective on what the gear would cost in todays terms. $600 sounds like a substantial sum for 1963....

What was considered to be the high end gear? Where was Fisher or Scott in that continuum? Was the Fisher considered to be a cadillac? Mid stream?

----------------

I believe Marantz and McIntosh were considered the Cadillac brands then, and, by comparison only, Scott and Fisher more toward the middle price- and quality-wise. Unfortunately, brochures from the 1950s and 1960s shown on Hifilit.com were very variable in giving prices, and none were shown for either Scott or Fisher products. Model 7C was only $249 plus $25 for the wooden case around that time. The then-outrageously expensive Model 10 was $650.

On the other hand, a Sherwood receiver, definitely a middle-class brand, was up to $370 in 1962. In all, $600 seems a little high, doesn't it?

Larry

Yes $600 does sound high for the price paid then for a Fisher 500-C. Causes me to appreciate the excellent info on hhscott.com. Wish there was a similar Fisher site. The Fisher Doctor owns the name, but such a site is not his interest.

1. 1965 Cornwall C-D-15, 2Q----------$311.00

15% discount---------------------46.65

total-------------------------$264.35

2. 1965 bass horn K-3H2-C-----------$313.00 X2 =$626.00

3. 1965 midrange horn K-400---------$130.00 X2 =$260.00

4. 1965 1R balancing network--------$ 36.00 X2 =$ 72.00

total-------------------------$958.00

15% discount------------------$143.70

total-------------------------$814.30

This data taken from my actual receipts. This was a real

bunch of money back then.

JJK

Hmmm, today khorns can be had new for 6-7K and that new VW bug is probably pushing 20K, right? To be fair the khorns are a lot more the same then/now compaired to a VW bug then/now.

I would say this based on my personal experiance. Buying audio gear in the late 70s through early 90 seemed to be a lot more expensive then buying today. Sure I make more money now; but in relative terms buying London Calling by The Clash at 6-8 bucks seemed to sting a lot more then the 10-15 I pay for a CD today. Forte IIs new at $1400 in 1991 seem expensive when you figure you can get new Heresies for about that today.

----------------

On 6/21/2005 9:26:39 AM Royster wrote:

In 1977 my dad paid more for a pair of new Korns than he would have paid for a new VW bug...........

----------------

I looked at the reciepts today!!!!!!!!!!!!

dad bought them in Feb of 1971

Dunnno.. why i was thinking 77