Altec 511b installation in my K-horns - All done!

Seadog

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 6/23/2005 4:43:51 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Klewless,

Here's the plot comparing the K500 (Belle) and the Altec 511b. The driver was the solder-on K55V. Both horns where just sitting on a chair. The K500 needs it baffle to make the low end right. As you can see, the 511+K55V combination works ok down to 400 Hz.

Al k.

----------------

...and if you girls think that the 511b is an improvement over a K401 or K500, consider the sound compared to a K600 crossed at 600hz. 1.gif

Dean must be asleep. Nothing negative as yet. Just hang in there. 2.gif

Regards,

Terry

post-13095-13819266759466_thumb.jpg

Seadog,

Keep your son involved in these projects of yours. Kids have great ears and can be a big help if you A/B mods and changes. Your son will also tell you the truth about what he hears. He won't tell you what he thinks you want to hear.

My kids learned a lot and had a little fun doing so.

Q-man,

That is good advice I am sure. My son really likes getting involved in projects like this. I'm sure he is learning more than I even realize.

Kids do have critical ears, and when they get accustomed to hearing good quality audio, they can be as discriminating as we are. Yesterday, my 4-year-old wanted to listen to some children's music CD. I started to put his CD in the Walkman with headphones and he said "no" and pointed to the Cornwalls!

great work seadog, what drivers are you running on the 511s? k55M right? it would have been nice to think about running some altec drivers on those horns, they would probably be somewhat better than the klipsch drivers, IMHO. regards, tony

----------------

On 6/24/2005 10:40:19 AM sunnysal wrote:

great work seadog, what drivers are you running on the 511s? k55M right? it would have been nice to think about running some altec drivers on those horns, they would probably be somewhat better than the klipsch drivers, IMHO. regards, tony

----------------

Tony,

The 902-16a is shown with a simple first order filter crossed at 600hz. Designed to cross at 500hz, some claim that the 902 performs well at 400hz with extreme Xover slopes. The 902 is a nice clean little driver, but I see 120/+ db at 600hz in my room. Not sure that she could handle that kind of abuse crossed at 400. I do intend to find out. 2.gif

Regards,

Terry

post-13095-13819266759926_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 6/24/2005 4:34:21 PM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

What is a good price for a set of 511's? How do they compare to the wooden Tractrix horns?

Thanks,

Chris

----------------

As I see them on ebay, the 511b is going down in price from two years ago. $100.00 ea.? Maybe less. K401 is still the best bang for the buck. Will A/B "ear test" each shortly.

terry, no doubt you would have to watch the wattage if crossing over at 400 (or even 300) but those were rated to handle like 50-80 continuous watts at 500hz right? I suspect that for home systems you would see, at best, 10-15 watts in peaks...so a little eq to bump up the low end and perhaps it would work crossed over lower...you could ask over at the altec forum. warm regards, tony

Hey Seadog,

How does the grill cover stay "fastened" to the baffle? Is it velcro. I've never looked up close.

Al, I can't seem to find your website page that shows your altec horn installation. Is is still up?

jc