Need Recommendation for CD Changer

MBM135

Hey folks,

Looking for a carousel CD Changer. I listen to a lot of jazz and some rock. Have a Harman/Kardon amp and KG4's. Already have a DVD to play single CDs but want a changer I can load up.

Here are my wants:

All-metal case

Quite ops (don't want to hear the disk spinning just the music)

Dual D/A converters

Coaxial or optical digital output

Remote not really that important

shuffle play, good programming etc

Overall good sound of course--but I'm not much of an audiophile--they all sound about the same to me

And the kicker: $300 or less. May consider a preowned unit if recent model in outstanding shape.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

mbm135.....Adcom GCD 700...It's still current and has been made for five years or so. Great looks and build, even better sound. Only thing is it list for seven to eight hundred. Since it's been in production for a few years you might you might be able to find one used in your price range. It does have a remote too! Believe me...when you load up five discs and sit down on the couch in front of your Klipsch speakers the last thing you want to do is get up to change discs or songs.....later

After a recommendation from Ralph Karsten, maker of Atma-sphere OTL amps, who prefers old-fashioned vinyl (and now has a rebuilt turntable of his own, go to: http://www.atma-sphere.com/) I auditioned a pair of Rotel amps. The single disc player was slightly better than the five-disc carousal model. But the difference was not as significant as better cables or a disc mat or damping my horns. The British are known for a polite, flat, accurate sound with a very good attention to details. Telarcs digital 1812 Overture with its black powder cannon shots is not on their list of favorite Test CDs

Here is just a thought.Pioneer has a 5 disc DVD player for $299.I know you have a DVD player,but I have come to realize that DVD palyers(IMHO)have a better sound than most CD palyers in that price range.DV-C503.It also plays audio CD-R's and has both optical and coaxial outs.

After getting a Sony 5 disc DVD Christmas'99,and after comparing it to my Denon 460 5 disc CD,the Denon found a new home.The Sony,even though I was using the digital out from both,sounded better in many ways compared to the Denon.

Just a thought.

If you want a 300 disc changer the Sony ES one is suppose to be good at $300, I think it is being closed out. The Denon 370 is the buy for a 5 disc player at under $200. I just bought one of each but I have not had time to form an opinion of either one. The Sony replaced a Sony 200 disc changer that didn't last very long, the ES has a 5 year warranty and better moving parts.

TKA

I just picked up a Sony CA80ES 5 disc changer for around $350 at jandr.com. Very smooth operation, nicely built, 5 year warranty.

For around $300 you can buy the Marantz CC4000 which is also very nice. Not quite as well built, and I did not like the display or the fact you can only change 3 discs while one is playing, but it sounds very nice.

A few years ago you could find a splendid Nakamichi 7 discs "music bank" cd player. Don't remember the reference, but it was not the MB4S wich is "middle-class", it was a very high-end player, as heavily built as a big amp. If I find the name i'll post it, since you should be able to find one second-hand. It was a truly splendid machine...

regards, Frans

The ADCOM GCD 700 is a bit noisy on tray movements. The new INTEGRA for a steel at 200 bucks SMRP sounds just as good as my ADCOM. My brother has one with almost the same set-up. If your not a real Audiophile why do you want dual D/A converters? A great sounding CD player is a great sounding CD player. I would'nt say that just because mine has dual D/A converters it sounds better. Have not done an A/B comparrison yet though. Just my view.

------------------

Onkyo TX8511

ADCOM GCD-700

KLIPSCH CF3,s

KLIPSCH KLF20

KSW-300

quote:

Originally posted by MBM135:

Hey folks,

Looking for a carousel CD Changer. I listen to a lot of jazz and some rock. Have a Harman/Kardon amp and KG4's. Already have a DVD to play single CDs but want a changer I can load up.

Here are my wants:

All-metal case

Quite ops (don't want to hear the disk spinning just the music)

Dual D/A converters

Coaxial or optical digital output

Remote not really that important

shuffle play, good programming etc

Overall good sound of course--but I'm not much of an audiophile--they all sound about the same to me

And the kicker: $300 or less. May consider a preowned unit if recent model in outstanding shape.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I recommend Kenwood's CD404 or CD406. They meet your requirements and I have a older version, CD204 that has the features you're looking for and it sounds excellent. I purchased a Kenwood direct drive turntable over 20 years ago and it's still operating as well as it did on day one. I expect the same reliability out of the CD player.

Check out the Toshiba SD-4205 Cinema Series 5-disc changer...I've had it for almost 90 days and I can't find anything to complain about. It has DD/DTS and HDCD decoding also Coax digital out as well as PCM Digital out and 5.1 analog outputs and component video and very nice remote (not backlit though) wait I did find something to complain about......

Check it out at Onecall.com for around $339.