• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

T3K,

Ah thanks ya'lls confoundin da feriner.

Gramas701,

Your "speak with reason" sentence has some structural problems.

It is "grammar" not "grammer", "English" not "english"...

I've met a lot of close minded highly educated people and a lot of wonderfully open minded uneducated people.

Arguments are made with rhetoric all the time. Rhetoric was even one of the three subjects of the trivium of medieval education, the other two being logic and grammar.

Which version of proper English would you like us to use. What constitutes proper English differs from place to place.

One cannot educate someone who does not want to be educated.

You actually took T3K seriously? I think it would have been best to ignore him. Now you have surely encouraged him.

btw, you may want to hang me but I don't think bose systems sound bad, they are just slightly above average, I just really think they are a very poor value . . .

I have heard $300 "Home Theatre in-a-box" systems that easily compare to the bose $1500-$2500 systems.

Please allow me to clarify. I agree whole-heartedly that Bo$e sounds quite above average. In fact, I was actually impressed when he turned his system on. I thought it sounded great! However, when we made switch offs between his system and my RF-7s and my friends paradigms, there was really no competition. Bo$e makes good systems. They are of extremely poor value however, and they cannot compete with other types of systems. There is much better bang for your buck out there. If you like all in ones that you cant tweak, or if you want simplification and you have cash to spend, go with Bo$e, it doesnt sound half bad, but after hearing it against others, I am quite happy with RF-7s.

Also, just out of curiosity would anyone with a Bo$e acustic wave system, or even better, would T3K mind posting a frequency response curve on her Bo$e system, I would like to compare.

Bose is marketing based, rather than performance based.

Let's face it, the BOSE advertising group could sell ice cubes to eskimos.

The marketplace is not an accurate determiner of quality or performance.

It's a marketing experience rather than an audio one.

And THAT's what people buy.

DM

----------------

On 6/26/2005 11:26:30 PM Malcolm wrote:

T3K,

Ah thanks ya'lls confoundin da feriner.

Gramas701,

Your "speak with reason" sentence has some structural problems.

It is "grammar" not "grammer", "English" not "english"...

I've met a lot of close minded highly educated people and a lot of wonderfully open minded uneducated people.

Arguments are made with rhetoric all the time. Rhetoric was even one of the three subjects of the trivium of medieval education, the other two being logic and grammar.

Which version of proper English would you like us to use. What constitutes proper English differs from place to place.

One cannot educate someone who does not want to be educated.

You actually took T3K seriously? I think it would have been best to ignore him. Now you have surely encouraged him.

----------------

Listen, jackass...(How's that for proper English?)

You're not so clever as you think and your grammar is not perfect, either.

A couple of hyphens, commas and question marks were AWOL in your "open letter" to Gramas701.

"close minded" = closed-minded

"open minded" = open-minded

Society was so very "advanced" in Medieval times, no? (By the way, you neglected to capitalize the "M" in Medieval)

Also, you missed the question marks in your two questions. (Perhaps they were rhetorical...nonetheless, they were absent.

It is, however, as you said; "One cannot educate someone who does not want to be educated."

And, finally, I believe that Gramas701 took the post seriously because he's a sincere individual who could not help but lament the demise of our language. Your attack on him was unwarranted and stupid.

p.s. Proper English does not vary from place to place other than slight differences in spelling and the rare syntactical variance.

----------------

On 6/25/2005 7:55:14 PM Zealot125 wrote:

OK, some friends and I were having arguements over quality of Bo$e in comparison with others. So, the reasonable steps we took were to take some of our own respective stuff and to compare them all. So we got one guy's Bo$e acoustic wave system, my pair of RF-7's, a pair of paradigm monitor 11's. The Bo$e guy started all of this with his claim that his little 1.5 x 1.5 x 2 foot box put out bigger better quality sound than me or my frineds paradigms. So we put all of these in my HT room and hooked em up with each of our own recievers (mine is a Denon AVR-3805, paradigms were with Denon 2805, but also tried them with my 3805) and set them to each of our respective preferences and listened. Now, we each had our own opinions, mine being that the Paradigm and RF-7's sounded fantastic, but I just didnt like the Bo$e. Its just wasnt quite as powerful or commanding as the RF-7 or Paradigms. Of course this Bo$e guy was loving his Acoustic wave system and kept saying " Its smaller but sounds just as good as your big Floorstanders. I'm just looking for some technical ammo to back up my opinions when I see him next. I dunno, in my mind, there wassnt even competition, but I have nothing to argue with him about except with my opinions. Can anyone give me some technical dirt on Bo$e??
----------------

Zealot-Here are a few of things to consider:

1) Are you comparing a similar number of speakers in each situation? Comparing all 5 Bose cubes to a 2-channel setup is quite different.

2) Everyone knew what system you were listening to. Have you considered having one or two of you sit in the listening position blindfolded while the other one/two sets up the demo and THEN see which one sounds the best?

3) Listen to the same track on one and then the other. Do an A-B, find the one that sounds better, then A-C. Finally, do a B-C test.

4) How are you listening to the demo music (I'm assuming it is music, and not a movie.)? Are you listening to the speakers to see which one goes deeper and also higher than the other? Bose is infamous for the statement made by bashers, "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose." When you compare either of the two speakers you have against the Bose, there is no way the Bose will go as low or as high as the Rf-7s or the Paradigm setups. Rather than listening to the overall "feel" of the music, listen to specific portions of each track that have highs and lows where the Bose will simply not be able to go. Since you won't get the stats from Bose, this will be the only way to go.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

David

Thank you dkp for some good constructive comments. I would like to address each to clarify exactly what we have done.

1)This is not the Bose cube system. My apologies for this misunderstanding. The System that my Bo$e friend challenged my klipsch and paradigm setup with, was one of the Bo$e acustic wave systems. It wasnt the clock radio version and im not sure what model it is, but it is about 1.5 x 1.5 x 2 feet in dimentions, ill try to get the model later, i dont see it anywhere on the system right off hand.

His claim was that this box could compete with, and even outperform the pairs of floorstaners that my frined and I had. I was just going by his terms, Wave system vs. a pair of floorstanders.

2)No, honestly i have not considered the blindfold, but now that it has been brought to my attention, we will definately give it a try since all of the speakers are still set up in my HT room. Thanks for the suggestion.

3) Yes that is exactly how we did it, except without blindfolds. therefore, me and my paradigm friend were at odds with our respective systems, but it was pretty objective between us. The Bo$e, however, was right out.

4)you are right it is demo music, and there were several areas that we focused on in our listening. We first used Dream Theater- Scences From a Memory, because the drummer is phenomenal and this is good music to test bass "punch" if you will. The drummer uses dual kick bass drums and we all three agree that we like to feel that bass drum hit us in the chest. We are all avid rock listeners, so this was an important segment for us. You may say, "where is the subwoofer?" well paradigm guy and I left ours out because it would be unfair to the Bo$e guy, besides, RF-7s kick pretty good anyways. Also, we did a little bit of classical auditioning, I have a neat medley CD that we looked at for articulation and clarity. There were several other musics that we auditioned and we would take select portions such as guitar solos, drum solos, vocals and such and we would replay them each on each different system and compare. However, the only way to cut out opinion would be to use the blindfolds, which is what we are doing tonight!9.gif

Thanks for the helpful comments!

gullahisland,

I did not attack Gramas701. I just pointed out inconsistencies in his argument and asked a simple question. I am sure he is capable of replying for himself if he feels so inclined. What is your agenda? Having a bad day?

Some of the errors in the post were intentional. I am sure there were a few that weren't. Go check all the rest of my posts for errors. You will find loads of them. Have fun!

Your name calling personal attack doesn't bother me. I have been called worse by better. But it certainly says much about your character and doesn't belong in this forum.

p.s. yourself

You really need to get your ducks in a row before you start shooting. The preferred spelling is indeed medieval unless you are using it as in Medieval Greek.

----------------

On 6/27/2005 2:38:13 PM Zealot125 wrote:

Thank you dkp for some good constructive comments. I would like to address each to clarify exactly what we have done.

1)This is not the Bose cube system. My apologies for this misunderstanding. The System that my Bo$e friend challenged my klipsch and paradigm setup with, was one of the Bo$e acustic wave systems. It wasnt the clock radio version and im not sure what model it is, but it is about 1.5 x 1.5 x 2 feet in dimentions, ill try to get the model later, i dont see it anywhere on the system right off hand.

His claim was that this box could compete with, and even outperform the pairs of floorstaners that my frined and I had. I was just going by his terms, Wave system vs. a pair of floorstanders.

2)No, honestly i have not considered the blindfold, but now that it has been brought to my attention, we will definately give it a try since all of the speakers are still set up in my HT room. Thanks for the suggestion.

3) Yes that is exactly how we did it, except without blindfolds. therefore, me and my paradigm friend were at odds with our respective systems, but it was pretty objective between us. The Bo$e, however, was right out.

4)you are right it is demo music, and there were several areas that we focused on in our listening. We first used Dream Theater- Scences From a Memory, because the drummer is phenomenal and this is good music to test bass "punch" if you will. The drummer uses dual kick bass drums and we all three agree that we like to feel that bass drum hit us in the chest. We are all avid rock listeners, so this was an important segment for us. You may say, "where is the subwoofer?" well paradigm guy and I left ours out because it would be unfair to the Bo$e guy, besides, RF-7s kick pretty good anyways. Also, we did a little bit of classical auditioning, I have a neat medley CD that we looked at for articulation and clarity. There were several other musics that we auditioned and we would take select portions such as guitar solos, drum solos, vocals and such and we would replay them each on each different system and compare. However, the only way to cut out opinion would be to use the blindfolds, which is what we are doing tonight!
9.gif

Thanks for the helpful comments!

----------------

Any of Dream Theater's music will be an awesome demo. Mike Portnoy is a God on the drums 9.gif

----------------

On 6/27/2005 9:32:51 AM Spkrdctr wrote:

Admit it, over half of you all own Bose wave radios. Bose rules!

The 301 speaker will easily best any speaker in the Klipsch line.

Of course, I lie a lot too!
9.gif

----------------

I have two Bose 301's; they convinced me I had to have my RF-7's. (The 301s are no longer hooked up.) At least I have Bose to thank for having decent sound. I guess Bose does rule.2.gif2.gif

Clean the filth outa you Zealot ears and get you needelneck to the Bose Store and ...... lordie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooookkkkaaaayyyyy,

I think I can offer a reasonably good perspective on this issue since I own some Bose speakers as well as several others ranging from AR2A's to Mirage 190is. There are some rather nice sounding Bose speakers. My 301's sound quite nice, but placement is everything. I had a set of 901's which I personally felt sounded flat with artificial bass. But mids and the stereo sound stage were excellent.

The big thing is that Bose speakers are very expensive relative to what you get. You pay a lot for that name. As for their newer gear and that wave radio, to me it sounds like typical band pass box technology. If you like thumping one note bass, then Bose bass is for you. If you like to be able to differentiate between an acoustic bass, electric bass, and a bass drum, then forget this acoustic wave or satellite / sub stuff and buy a set of Heresys.

If a person feels a bose system sounds better then a pair of Paradigm monitors, then he or she has hearing issues. The bottom line is that Bose does get a lot of sound out of small cabinets and their stuff does not sound half bad. But it is not in the same league as Klipsch or Paradigm. Kind of like comparing a current production Realistic receiver to a vintage Marantz 2270. Just because a lot of people buy Bose does not mean it is good. It just means that they deliver reasonable bang for the buck and that they have good 'spin doctors'.

Bill B.

I am an old guy that loves to listen to old music. I was in Hawaii when Dr. Bose auditioned his 901's back in the 70's. I thought they were the best "loud speaker" money could buy. To this day, I still think they are the best "loud speaker" money can buy. You want clarity, get the Klipsch. When I bring friends over to hear my Chorus II's along with the 2 pair of Heresy's and the Academy on my Denon AVR5803, they are absolutely blown away. A good example would be "Unplugged" with Eric Clapton. You can actually hear his fingers slide across the frets of his guitar, either on CD or DVD. Try that with a Bose speaker. It ain't gonna happen. You want loud, buy Bose, you want clarity, buy Klipsch. Best speaker made in the USA. Nuff said. 1.gif

Just because a lot of people buy Bose does not mean it is good. It just means that they deliver reasonable bang for the buck and that they have good 'spin doctors'.

Or restated...

Just because a lot of people buy (XYZ artists CD) does not mean it is good. It just means that they deliver reasonable bang for the buck and that they have good 'spin doctors'.

Wow thank you.. Helped me explain a lot of today's music..LOL.

You make me wanna scream!! "La La" Ashlee Simpson... hehehehehehe

301's do sound pretty good if in the right environment. (College Dorm rooms.) I can remember for some reason Heart's song "Dog and Butterfly" sounding very nice on Vinyl and old Harmon Kardon 430 amps too. I was even more impressed with it on my own Heresies though.