Best Stereo receiver around 500

You know what they say about opinions,....So here's mine.

IF you have fairly efficent speakers I don't beleve anything can touch a Scott 299. (I have a "D" in one of my HiFi systems)

Keep a lookout I found mine for around $500.00.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

You should check out the NAD 7600. There's a nice one on Ebay now, but the seller wants too much....$749. You should be able to find one for less than $500 if you're patient. These receivers have 150 wpc w/ 4db headroom, preamp outputs, phono input for mc/mm, and they're bridgeable.

Check out this auction to learn more:

NAD 7600

Good luck, Rick.

----------------

On 6/28/2005 12:30:42 PM Mallette wrote:

Check out the Pannsonic line of Class D Receivers. They are all 500.00 or less and I am very, very pleased with mine...and I am a Heritage-hugging tubehead!

Dave

----------------

Gee, I always thought of you as a tube-hugging Heritagehead...

Rick, that NAD looks interesting!

Audiogon.com has lots to choose from and is a good place to deal with, maybe even factory refurbished.

Solid state...McIntosh, Marantz, or Harmon Kardon...from what I've "read" they mate well with Klipsch...I am using Denon.

I too have some new 7's and Vintage models look interesting like Scott or Fisher. A guy here named NosValves has a website and he fixes up older vintage pieces.

Goodluck with YOUR choice 1.gif

IMHO, It's tough to beat the older Marantz receivers. They are very good in that 'first watt' and are built like a brick *********. Appearance wise they can't be beat, especially in a dimly lit room. The gyroscopic flywheel tuning is a joy.

I've been driving a pair of industrial LaScalas with my 2325. Great combo.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

• Like 1

Im confused about these stereo receivers...

I have a large sub (svs pc ultra) and definately want to incorperate it into my 2 channel setup...i know i know, most of you dont 'go' that way and it seems like most of these amps dont have a sub out?

What about inputs? Everything through rca? no digital in? haha...im a noobie when it comes to this, so im a little confused in this respect,

i was thinking of being able to hook up a digital cd-player...or dvd-player or even my computer to enjoy the huge range of music...

what other options do i have?

The Marantz do have a cool look to them.

I have a SVS 2039+ and tried the RCA jacks which did not sound very good. Wound up using the same binding posts as the speakers use. Speakers with spades then sub with the banana plug on top of each.

Since there is no sub-out...

1. The "speaker" cables to the receiver binding posts.

2. The "sub" cables to the receiver binding posts.

They are just doubled up or stacked on the binding posts. No RCA cables are being used at all.

You could get some different ideas by calling or eMailing SVS, they have a very quick response.2.gif

You must have a huge space..lol.. mine is way to big, I should have consulted before buying.

You could also go with a HT reciever right now. I have a Yamaha RX-V 750 that is about a year old. I paid just at $700 for it then. You might be able to get a deal on them now. It has all the digital in/out you could want with pres out for 7.1 if you wish to use different amps to power your HT system. It has outputs for your sub and can easily be setup for 2ch/7.1 with its second set of speaker outputs for a second zone.

There are those who put down Yamaha but it sounds good to me and many others here on the board as well. My HT speakers are Forte 1s as mains with Heresys filling in the rest except for the sub.

There are a lot of ways to go, you need to decide where you want to end up then make a plan to get there. I have seperate systems for 2ch and HT, both in different rooms. That is what I wanted, what do you want????

Okay...maybe i will start with a hk receiver (630?) or something in that price range and do stereo sound for the moment and then as time goes on and funds permit (being 18, studying and working doesnt give a WHOLE lot of money) I will make my room a crazy home theatre...hahaha :D

Hi Ancient,

I'm not knocking your sub, I just chuckled knowing you have a really big and powerful sub.9.gif

I tried talking sense into my younger brother telling him two channel is a great place to start and then more speakers later if necessary. He likes his cheap surround system but I would rather have a higher quality 2 channel.

That HK 630 looks pretty nice....

If you want to experience the tube stereo sound on the cheap, the best way is a reworked Scott, Fischer, or HK receiver or integrated amp. Be aware, however, if you buy on ebay or audiogon, whatever you purchase may need to be gone over by a trusted tech (Craig, of NOSValves, is well regarded on these forums). So, although your ebay jewel may only run you a couple hundred, you may end up spending several hundred more getting it in good working condition. Believe me, I know this from experience. You might email Craig, he also has a web site, sometimes he has units for sale that he guarentees.