WTB Fostex and/or similar full range drivers

DizRotus

Neil,

I've got a pair of new-in-the-box FE-103's. They are the Radio Shack version, but clearly say FE-103 on the magnet. They have lightweight paper cones with treated cloth surrounds. They're boxed up and ready to send.

Just ping me with your address by private message or email. No money for these drivers, please. All I want to know is how you think they sound, good or bad.

Warm regards,

Andy

www.commonsenseaudio.com

This fellow has got Fostex, Lowther, and his own custom manufactured Audio Nirvana, he tells me, beat the specs on Fostex at a considerable savings. Interesting guy to talk to on the phone. Has got some beautifully crafted speaker cabs available as well as a few vintage components.

"I assume that everyone knows about the Cain & Cain speaker line. They market a full range Fostex horn based design and employ Fostex super tweets with xtrnl crossovers for the higher end."

Have you ever cruised down to Walla-Walla to check out Terry's speakers and gear used with them?

I've been wanting to do that for some time....

ALthough not meant for this use, I have a pair of Galaxy Audio Hotspots. ALmost any musician would recognize them. THey are meant as small personal monitors for stage use. Each cabinet uses two drivers, and they are rated at 100 watts each. The Fs is only 140 (I think), but they go very high.

I am going to try some bigger boxes for them, and may do a backloaded version. Most of the full range drivers can't be driver very hard, but these remind me of a mini LS (you hear the bass, it is tight, but not too strong).

Power handling: 100 watts RMS/140 watts max

* Voice coil diameter: 1"

* Impedance: 8 ohms

* Frequency response: 200-18,000 Hz

* Magnet weight: 40 oz.

* Fs: 140 Hz

* SPL: 92 dB 1W/1m

* Vas: .24 cu. ft.

* Qms: 1.34

* Qes: .38

* Qts: .30

* Net weight: 3 lbs.

* Dimensions:

A: 4-3/4",

B: must be rear or flush mounted,

C: 2-3/8",

D: 4",

E: 1-1/8".

And they are only about $35 each from PE. They also carry the newer model with neodymium magnets. Slightly lower Fs, and 95db/w/m.

----------------

On 7/1/2005 6:40:17 PM Marvel wrote:

ALthough not meant for this use, I have a pair of Galaxy Audio Hotspots.

----------------

I noticed these in the PE catalog.
With the Fs: 140 Hz, thats a little higher than ideal and the
Frequency response: 200-18,000 Hz is also less than ideal, but the SPL: 92 dB 1W/1m and Qts: .30 would make theses at least worth a listen in a rear load enclosure.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

To date, Im satisfied enough with the rear horn concept to pursue it further.
Ill try some other small full ranger drivers.
Im waiting for a pair of Radio Shack FE103s, which another Forum member has kindly offered to send at no cost; purely in the interest of audio experimentation.
Ill post pictures and a review.
At that time Ill also publicly thank the donor, but I dont want to put pressure on him now.
I also want to try Fostex FE83s.

I also plan to try some larger full range drivers, such as the Fostex FE206E 8 available from Common Sense Audio.
At first I'll build a small enclosure to house the larger drivers and then attach that to the existing rear horn enclosures.
Eventually I will build larger rear horn enclosures to accommodate 8 drivers if they show promise.

Eventually I might build a rear horn enclosure that is less of a compromise and that is nicer in appearance.
For now, the crude enclosures are serving the experimental purpose.

I used the Galaxys when I first finished all the upgrades to my Dyanaco ST-70. These (still as hotspots) really rock, and you can crank them more than you can a set of Fostex drivers. Our church was tossing them out, so I have zero investment in them.

You would think I have enough to do this summer. Right now they just are making me wonder, and are being stored. 15.gif

Bruce