What's wrong with my cat?

m00n

So we have a cat. I don't like him, non the less, he is our pet. He's 4 years old. As of late, he is loosing hair on his back and tail. I also just now noticed that he has a sore spot right where his tail and back meet. It's all red.

Do any of you guys know why this is happening to this little creaton? Even though I don't for the little monster, I do want to ensure that he is in good health.

cat lukemia is very common but I dont know much about it.

Its very noble that you can care and not care so to speak, my girlfriend has two persians, quite possibly the fowlest of felines and I only hope that when something happens to them I can muster up some compassion.

Could be allergies, too. Get the poor little varmint to a vet.

My big dog (as opposed to the little Boston Terrier) has chronic thyroid and ear infection combo that we think might be related to seasonal allergies, ampng other things. I've found that the earlier we get the beast to the doc, the cheaper and quicker the recovery is.

I have an older cat who gets this in the summer, but usually just goes away after heat passes. It's just a strip of hair, right down the backbone to base of tail, right? Don't think it's fleas, possibly just a 'scalp' irritation. Might be aggravated by too much grooming. What color is the cat in question. Mine is black, they attract more mites and nasties than lighter colored cats for some reason.

Michael

Hi m00n,

What you're describing is a classic pattern of pruritis (itchy skin) and excoriation (scratching the crap out of the itchy skin) most likely caused by flea bite dermatitis (inflamed skin due to an allergy to flea saliva). Animals who get sensitized to fleas can have a reaction with just a bite or two--like people who are sensitive to certain foods. If you look closely in the inflamed area you may see traces of what looks like dirt, which would actually be flea feces. The vet will probably give your cat a shot of depo-medrol (a long-acting anti-inflammatory) and treat for fleas. If we were in Pennsylvania I could fix you up, but I'm not licensed in Oregon.

Best in horns (keratinized epithelium),

triceratops

Unfortunately, my advice is worth squat these days, because I'm totally out of date with most developments over the last decade or so. When I retire from my current non-vet job, I'm hoping to get current on the vet stuff again and get an Oregon license to practice as a retirement gig--maybe in about 10 years from now. I figure I can't lose too much more, since I've already forgotten pretty much everything I once knew!

Best in horns,

triceratops

My cat had the same thing. We used to bring our dog to the vet every year for shots, etc. and she'd get flea and tick stuff (Frontline), but we never brought our cat in, because he never goes outside. We found out that the cat was pulling his hair out because of fleas. The vet didn't give him a shot, but my cat now gets Frontline year round and the vet gave us some spray stuff to spray everywhere the cat hangs out. He is much better now, and no longer has a rat tail.