Longest you've gone without your amp...

Arman

Hi all,

I just wanted to see if anyone else becomes really depressed when their tube amp has to leave home for some time...:( If everything goes accordingly, the ol' powerplant should be home in a week's time...

I haven't listened to the sweet sound of my Scott 299C in over 2 months now...

How long have you guys had to part with your amps before?

-Arman

Hahaha...actually, the amp is being worked on by Craig @ NOSValves...it's next in line (I think) so hopefully I'll have that puppy home in a week or 2. I CANNOT WAIT.

Congrats on the NEWBORN, my friend! A baby will keep you busy for a while!

• Like 1

8 months! From the time I won it on eBay, I waited 2 months for it to arrive from Hong Kong, only to find out it didn't work! Sent it back, waited 4 more months only to find out the replacement was lost in shipment, and waited another 2 months for the second replacement to arrive to replace the amp that was lost! A friggin' 8 long months...what hell that was.7.gif

My preamp has been gone for about 5 days now and I'm in bad shape.14.gif Don't know what I'd do for 2 months. I still have my 299b/cornwalls but REALLY miss playing vinyl.

Just kidding. I'm fine (I DO miss the vinyl!). I'd be a wreck for 2 months though! Poor Craig has his hands full right now but it'll be worth the wait! Hope you get it back soon.

Heaven knows I'm not bragging because others I have spoken to from this site have HiFi equipment that is so muuch nicer than mine.

I won't go without an amp because I have others that will fit the bill until I get one of the amps, (should they need repair) back from craig at NOSvalves should they break.

Regardless of the flames I receive one of my favoirte stand by amps is an old Scott Stereo 120 solid state unit. (all the fairly clean power I will ever need for the three HiFis I have in my home)

There's too many clean vintage amps out there that are very reasonably priced to go without an amp on your HiFi.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

If you miss that warm tube sound, just get a cheap stereo receiver (like the Sony 197) and a pair of Bose 301's - same thing 9.gif

Yeah, I have had a few spells when moving overseas where I had nothing to listen on for 2, 3, 4 months and it sucked pretty bad.

I was without a system for about 6 months while I lived in a rental house during a move. I finally gave in and unpacked a couple amps, a turntable and some speakers. I had just had it up to "here" with living out of boxes and set up a system.

Two months is a drag. If I have to hang on to an amp that long, I let the owner know up front. I can't do that with commercial amps though. Those guys make their living with their amps. I have found that some peopel could care less how long it takes while others want the amp back as soon as possible. Still, when I work on an amps, I don't put any in the back room as it were and let them hang out for months. The local guitar shops where I used to live did that. They would rip an amp down, then there it would sit. Their tech would have several amps in different states of disrepair all over the shop. Some having been there for over a year.

Amazing.

Bill B.

Audio design, building, and repair at: http://home.alltel.net/wbittle1

I went almost two years without my system. I was at the time (and again now) out of work. The only time I find myself playing it is when I'm happy.

----------------

I don't have a tube amp, but I have backup for every part of my system.

Extra TT, cassette, tuner, receiver (s), speakers.

If I didn't have them, I have separate cassette and CD players, ipod, headphones, the wife's home theater, etc.

There's no reason to go without a backup system of some sort with all the cheap new and vintage equipment available.

I just want music, and ANY way is better than NO way!

NP - Aerosmith Rocks