Monster cables

Lenardie

Guest Anonymous

No, but as Daddy eluded to, you may want 14 or 12 gauge for longer runs. Do a forum search, someone hear published a chart showing what gauge wire to use based on distance and speaker ohm rating.

As a Monster Cable® guru, it depends and your funds, and how selective your listening is.

The video cables have the most impact, especially with the 1080I TV's. I am using the M-Series Line, and feel they merit some looking into. As for speaker cables, the Z2-Reference are beautiful, however the black box they are packaged in, is a nonvalue added prop.

As for the audio cables and speaker wires, buy as good as you can afford, without overdoing it. (Put your money in a nice pair of Klipsch RF-7's) Spend your money in your front (main) speakers, and stay with the medium line of cables at Monster.

Good Luck with your purchase!

----------------

On 7/16/2005 2:08:10 AM jheis wrote:

Wire is wire.

Monster is marketing hype BS.

Get yourself some 12 guage at your local hardware store and you'll be good to go.

James
----------------

Yeah, but if I do that, all the electrons will get confused and lost! And then all the LF , MF and HF electrons will not know which conductor to go down and they will all get lost and confused and all the electrons will pile up and create a giant electron traffic jam and then no sound would come from my speakers! Oh the humanity! I mean, insanity! And since when are the characterisitics of electrons determined by RF? - I will have to go back and examine my quantum texts..... Funny I can only find the frequency balanced concept in my Quantum by Mickey Mouse pamphlet! And it even has a coupon in the back!

But folks, let's be fair!!!! Monster is BUDGET BS! After all, there are rocket scientists who can rationalize the even more expensive $1500/m interconnects too!

Damn I HATE these cable debates.

With as effectively as Monster has convinced so many with their advertising - despite just about every reputable online forum trashing the exotic cable myth - I just hope they never rent out their marketing machine to politicians! As I fear they could make even the left wing liberals - oh, I forgot they don't exist anymore - the 'progressives' (now there is an oxymoron!) - and the religious right wing 'liberals' appear reasonable! A truly scary thought!

----------------

On 7/16/2005 3:01:28 AM dragonfyr wrote:

Damn I HATE these cable debates.

With as effectively as Monster has convinced so many with their advertising - despite just about every reputable online forum trashing the exotic cable myth - I just hope they never rent out their marketing machine to politicians! As I fear they could make even the left wing liberals - oh, I forgot they don't exist anymore - the 'progressives' (now there is an oxymoron!) - and the religious right wing 'liberals' appear reasonable! A truly scary thought!

----------------

Hmmmm...Not as much as you seem to enjoy stirring the waters when it comes to political discussions 11.gif

As a person who is liberal on social issues and conservative on fiscal matters, I like to support my local electronics salesperson by buying Monster cable products from him. Given the markup on these products, He keeps me coming back by giving me a substantial discount. A very productive and symbiotic relationship. 2.gif

BTW: Welcome to the forum Lenardie

A good question, and many folks get confused on this.

The simple answer is NO!

With a reasonable distance, 16 ga is fine. The cable should not cost more than 30-50 cents/foot and the connectors a few bucks.

If you insist on spending more money or energy (and some people do insist for some reason), it is better spent on fine-tuning the speaker placement, acoustic treatments in the room (including re-arranging furniture, drapes, carpets, and the listening chair), having an aedquately sized amplifier, and of course, obtaining well-recorded CDs. These will have a profound impact on the sound, speaker wire will not.

However, the sensible approach means you can not engage in esoteric discussions about cryo-treating cables, breaking them in, or the directionality of the cables. That really is not much of a loss however,

Good Luck,

-Tom

(I get grumpy because there is an industry out there that capitalizes on on confusing people)

Yes if you have the ears to tell, but I would look into something like Tara Labs Klara, or Audioquest lowest price level wire. So far the best mate with Klipsch I have heard. I havent' heard every wire, but these seemed to have the most pleasing sound to my ear. I've had the home depot, radio shack, and alot of generic stuff, and some of them sounded great. Most did except I had bad luck with home depot's crap. I can't explain it other than the aboved mentioned add a more smoother pleasing sound to my ears. I got audioguest hooked up right now and they are no where near as cool looking as my Kimber Kable, but they are smoother. Especially when using the Heretage line these cables help alot in my opinion. This where I win over a bunch of friends. 9.gif There is really no reason to debate It I hear it, and that's that. It just rediculous to sit hear and lie to you if it didn't make a difference. I would not do that to anyone. I will leave it at that. 12.gif

TDK said, "As a person who is liberal on social issues and conservative on fiscal matters, I like to support my local electronics salesperson by buying Monster cable products from him. Given the markup on these products, He keeps me coming back by giving me a substantial discount. A very productive and symbiotic relationship."

I am with you here too. Get over the use of the supposedly Monster name internet controversy BS by their competitors.. Some of it, (Speaker wire technology) might, in fact.... be hype... in some forms.. SO what? It doesn't hurt to have people at least "trying" to better connectivity sheilded wise wires that might produce a desired effect too.

Do I spend a little extra? Sure, where it makes sense. I do not think with very high end K horns ANYONE needs 2,000 dollars invested in Speaker cables.. THAT, is just stupid, and Paul W Klipsch would of said BS too. If it is 20 dollars for zip cord... 50 for some shielded nice monster... and you feel better go for it. No one loses sleep over 30 dollars. That said.. 10k??? For speaker wire... oh please!!!!

I always use Trey Cannons idea.. Save your money, do not go overboard on speaker wire and use the savings to buy some DVD's/ CD's, a good bottle of wine send the kids away.... "If you play your cards right.." Your "return" on your ivestment with your other half will far outweigh spending boo koo bucks on speaker cables..

I, for one, using Trey's advice on several occasions can say been there, done that, and I am STILL enjoying the better time with my wife. hehehehehehe

I don't really truly understand the technical details about Evidence Audio Siren and LyricHG cables, but I can't imagine using anything else and I've been slowly replacing all of my audio gear cables with them over the past few years. I definitely think they are sonically better then any of the 14-16 guage lamp cord I've used for hifi stuff or monster cable I've used for guitar and recording equipment over the years.

The selling point for me was after I spent a lot of money on my guitar equipment to get rid of a flopping sounding dropped-D guitar string and wasn't successfull until I got my first set of cables from Tony. They also got rid of the fatiguing high-end frize that you sometime get from distortion devices or overdrive which made my older "metal ears" pretty happy. Anyhow, I thought I'd share that as a favor, he made me a set of biwired Siren cables and a few sets of 3-foot LyricHG cables with neutron endings when I recently got my RF-7's. I might be fooling myself, but they seem to make my old Sony MSD-D40 CD/MD unit sound good enough to live with until the Blue Ray war plays out.

I recently got some balanced cables to start replacing the monster cables in my recording rig and he told me that David Gilmour was using his cable and he was busy doing set-ups for both David and Roger Waters for the Live-8 re-union. I don't know how different hi fi audio cable is from instrument and recording cable, but thought I'd share my expereince and the Pink Floyd bit to the list...hopefully I'm not sounding too much like a commercial.

If anyone is interested, he's website is at: http://www.evidenceaudio.com/