how long do plasma tv's last

iwillwalk

Check to see how many little "thingys" are burned out on the screem. I heard by the grapevine that the warrantees say 27 "thingys" have to be burned out before they will replace same. My video editor friends say that the LCDs, Tubes, DLPs are sharper.

JJK

The Plasma TV's are built for a 10 year lifespan. Define your objective on what what you want to accomplish, as all of the new televisions will be hitting the street in late September.

I would be looking at the Sony SXRD technology as they are superior, and I beta test their products.

Have fun!

LCD TVs versus Plasma TVs

Updated December 2004

Compare the two most popular flat screen TV technologies.

Comparison Plasma televisions LCD televisions Advantage

Screen Size Screen sizes range from 32 inches to 60 inches. Larger plasmas are in production, but are still prohibitively expensive for consumer use. Sizes range from 13 inches to 45 inches. Larger screens are expected soon, and will likely also be expensive. Plasma TVs are the current size champions. Larger LCD TVs and plasmas are already in development.

Viewing Angle Up to 160° Up to 170° LCD TVs.

Screen Refresh Rates Plasma displays refresh and handle rapid movements in video about as well as CRT televisions. LCD TVs were originally designed for data display, and not video. Therefore refresh rates had to be improved. LCD TVs with refresh rates of 16 ms or lower show very little noticeable artifacts. Slight edge to plasma technology.

Burn-in or Stuck Pixels Plasma TVs can suffer from burn-in produced by static images. After extended periods, stationary images "burn in" and produce an after-image ghost which remains permanently on the screen. With technologies such as 'pixel orbitor,' new plasma TVs have addressed burn-in and significantly reduced the issues of older models. LCD TVs do not suffer from burn-in, but can have a "retained pixel charge" which may also produce ghosting. Stuck pixels are also possible with an LCD display. With the latest plasma technology this would be even. The "pixel orbitor" is automatic and does not require additional efforts by the end-user.

Product Life-span Typical plasma TVs have a life span of 30,000 to 40,000 hours, which equates to at least three years, three months of 24/7 usage before the TV fades to half the original brightness. LCD TVs also have replaceable backlights, but the expense of replacing one when the time comes may be greater then simply replacing the entire TV. LCD TVs lamps will last a bit longer than plasmas, but both are likely to meet general consumer expectations.

Weight Plasma displays are fairly heavy, and may need additional supports to be mounted onto a wall. LCD TVs weigh less than comparably sized plasma TVs. LCD TVs are considerably lighter, more portable, and cheaper to ship.

Durability Plasmas are very fragile making them tricky to ship and install. Unlike the commercials where plasmas are mounted on the ceiling, plasmas are best installed by a professional, and should be installed on a wall that can bear a good deal of weight. Much more durable then plasmas. End users can easily mount an LCD TV themselves if desired. LCD TVs are far less fragile than plasmas.

Shipping Due to their fragile nature, plasma TVs need to be shipped by specialty carriers. Overnight or fast delivery options are not recommended. Special shipping methods and their heavier weight add to higher shipping costs. Shipping LCD TVs is not difficult, and is not as expensive as shipping plasma displays. LCD TVs are lighter and far less fragile than plasma displays making shipping easier and less expensive.

Installation Plasmas are heavier, use more power, and run hotter than LCD TVs, and therefore require more planning when mounting them. Plasmas are generally best installed by professionals. End users can easily install LCD TVs themselves, or can use them just as they use a traditional TV using a stand. LCD TVs are much easier to install than plasma TVs.

Brightness Plasma TVs range from 800-1000 cd/m2, but are measured based on a different standard than LCD TVs. When compared under "real world" circumstances, plasma TVs brightness is typically closer to 100 cd/m2. Measured under the more stringent "real world" standards, LCD TVs average a brightness rating of 500-600 cd/m2. Both LCD and plasma TVs will meet the brightness expectations of most consumers. However, in 'real world' situations with ambient light, LCD TVs will generally look a little brighter.

Thickness As thin as 3 inches deep. As thin as 2 inches deep. LCDs TVs are just a bit thinner.

Performance at High Altitude High altitudes can affect the performance of plasma displays because the gas held inside each pixel is stressed, and has to work harder to perform. Some manufacturers make plasmas that are specifically designed for high-altitudes, but they may be priced higher than standard models. LCD TVs are not affected by high altitudes. LCD TVs.

Contrast Ratios Current plasmas measure contrast ratios of up to 3000:1. However, when compared to LCD TVs in "real world" situations, contrast ratios for plasma TVs drop to approximately 200:1.* LCD TV contrast ratios are measured using "real world" standards. Typical contrast ratios range from 350-450:1. LCD TVs contrast ratios measured in real world situations double typical plasma TVs.

* source = NEC-Mitsubishi white paper

----------------

On 7/16/2005 11:43:55 PM st. patrick wrote:

----------------

On 7/16/2005 11:01:56 PM kenratboy wrote:

Lets say...5 hours a day, 365 days a week.

----------------

damn, that makes for a LONG week . . . . . heh, hehe .. ..

----------------

Shut up...at least you were paying attention 11.gif

Here is a layman's impression of viewing each and of the published viewing angles - I have just completed an extensive 'eye' test in looking to replace my ailing 8 year old rear projection. My choice will become obvious.

The viewing angles spec is a bit wrong according to my eyes - the LCD looses color definition well before the published 170 degree viewing angle. It is still clearly viewed, but the colors get a very washed out effect rather quickly as you move off axis. Plasma is easily viewed at their specified angles and retains the color.

LCD is brighter and does not have a bothersome glare from the screen.

Plasma black levels are a clear hands down winner making contrast adjustments a very valuable and capable tool for your environment. A reasonable very dark grey is the best I could get from LCD.

All LCD's I reviewed ghosted to some degree more than the better Plasmas.

All plasmas had a bit of screen glare, with pioneer doing something odd - look closely and the glare is there and vibrant, but when watching it is very hard to see (beats the heck out of me how this happens).

Plasmas have a wider larger screen selection.

As to LCD and DLP rear projectors - neither fares well in comparison with LCD or Plasma panels. Off angle on DLP is very poor and the picture is not very bright. Most DLPs leave artifacts all over the place (I would worry about sports) and LCDs still wash out off center.

To this eye it was simple - Plasma was a hands down winner in most every category. For my preference I cannot understand reviews that hawk the rear projectors as superior and have only a limited understanding of how LCDs are favorably compared. For the price - the rear projectors are great performers, but Plasma wins on picture quality to my eye against all others.

All is IMHO....